Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't sleep on my back

Options
  • 13-06-2007 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if I'm alone on this?
    I usually sleep on my side or on my front but if I ever happen to drift off asleep on my back I get that falling sensation and awake with a jolt.
    Happens almost every time I fall asleep on my back.
    Something to do with feeling exposed maybe? Who knows...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I don't sleep on my back either, it just doesn't feel comfortable... I've always gone to sleep on my side.
    I don't see it as a big deal though, since I can sleep on my back if I have to... it just takes longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I can't get a good nights sleep unless it is on my back and arms folded (or crossed). :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Hmmm...
    I'd like to be able to lie on my back and just fall asleep.
    maybe it's just not meant to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

cashback wrote:
    drift off asleep on my back I get that falling sensation and awake with a jolt.

Its called a hynogogic jerk and is quite normal. Why it happens on your back though I have no idea.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Ruu wrote:
    I can't get a good nights sleep unless it is on my back and arms folded (or crossed). :(
    Ruu is famous for his "wake" sleep.

Moi? I sleep in almost any position, especially if I have company. Ha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

It happens to me if I sleep on my front.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

I tend to sleep on my side, because I find it comfortable and I tend to get sleep paralysis from time to time if I Sleep on my back. I don't really think about how I'm going to sleep, it just happens...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Can't do it either, have to sleep on my side or on my front. My gf sleeps on her back and it kinda freaks me out tbh, reminds me of a vampire...

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭keiran110

I used sleep on my front and sides until i cracked my heel and had to have a huge cast on it. The only way i could get comfortable and fall asleep for the two months i was injured was on my back. That was 3 or 4 years ago, I'm still sleeping on my back, its backbreaking to sleep on my front now!

and i get the odd "jolt" before i fall asleep sometimes. aparantly when your muscles are relaxing your brain thinks that you are falling so it sends a message to the muscles to tense and brace for impact. thats the general accepted idea anyway

Advertisement