Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra cheapest gaming pc build

Options
  • 13-06-2007 1:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

Everyone seems to have these monster machines, spending huge amounts of money on them. Well I didn't have a huge amount of money, in fact I only had about 500 euros and this is what I managed to squeeze out of it (for multimedia and gaming)..

Scoured ebay for weeks and finally picked up a package pc..

e6400 core 2 duo 2.13 proc
    2 gig ddr2 667 ram
    400 gig harddrive
    asus motherboard
    dvd writer, wireless, tv card, win XP and some radeon 1600 piece of crap graphics card
    all in a nice case with a cardreader, silver grey, good cpu fan, exhaust fan, runs pretty quiet

I got all that for about 365 including post&packaging + insurance

The problem is, that only left 130 for a graphics card and the PC only has a crappy 300w power supply, coupled with the fact that it doesn't allow double slot graphics cards..

I had a 6800gt which ran everything 'okay', so I was thinking of getting a 7600gt which gives about an extra 15% to 20% more, so I hawked around and I noticed a few 7900gs's going for around 100 euros. This card just scores slightly less than an x1950 pro and performs the same as a 7800 GTX, not bad at all, so I picked one up for 90 euro.

Grabbed a nice completely flatscreen shiny new HP CRT monitor for 30.

Spent the 10 euros on a Steelpad gaming mat

Finally 5 euros on the microsoft explorer 1.0a (which alot of pro's still use)

So there we go, 500 euros, not a bad system at all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Thats a really good saving but when theres alot of direct X10 games out... You might consider upgrading again!

Then again you wont have spent of 2 grand on a machine lol..

If you overclcock that your defo saving yourself alot of money :D

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

sli is a complete waste of time unless you're going to be going to insane resolutions and max AA/AF/etc.

nice build, buuuut i'd definatly get a new psu when you get a chance.. future proof and whatnot. also, what case and cpu heatsink/fan?

Advertisement