Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wearing a suit - Your Views

• 13-06-2007 1:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi guys.
    Just wondering what you thought of this or whether ye have had similar experiences.

I would often wear a suit - " Shirt, tie, waistcoat and jacket etc. " for interviews and meetings etc and I do enjoy wearing them. Don't know why!!

But when I do wear a suit people (eg who I know to see or shop assistants etc) always seem to ask where you have been, what you've been up to etc, and I was just wondering why is this. Why do people seem obsessed with you when you wear a suit?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Dunno, I'm the same. I like to look well and need to do so in my line of work. It has always been that way though, ah where did you come from?, looking very fancy, etc. I guess people are looking for another story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

What age are you? I've had a designer suit (not flashy)since the age of 18, im 23 now. I wear it to work all the time, amongst other pants n so on and always get the 'woooo where have you been'. TBH it rubs me up the wrong way.. If you saw me in a suit last week and i have just come from work.. Guess where i was today?

Then again, i can see why people would ask me, i usually wear drainpipes and converse with a tight t shirt and a hoodie as such, its a complete flip of the coin.

You feel good because your power dressing, nothing feels better than a finly cut suit with a nice shirt and a flashy tie - makes you feel like a new man! Makes me want to take bigger steps when i walk for some reason haha

I saw a chap today wearing a dark dark blue suit, with a matching wastecoat, nice collar on the shirt and a white and red candy strip tie - sounds.. stupid, but it looked savage - swish is the only word that comes to mind..

For the record, im comfortable with my sexuality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

The difference is amazing when you wear a suit. All sorts of assumptions are made about your income, status etc. There have been many times when I have been in bars, restaurants wearing a suit and without fail I am addressed as "Sir" but I have went in on other times wearing jeans and a t shirt and been paid a lot less attention and called "mate" or "pal". I've no problem with either approach tbh but I can definitely say that you do get treated differently on account of your appearance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I love wearing a suit, I think most men do, pitty I don't get to wear one that often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't wear suits to work any more but often wear one when travelling. Handy with all the extra pockets for travel documents.

If you wear a nice suit and good shirt without tie you look kinda "business casual" which I like.

Might wear the vest for weddings or such, otherwise I leave it at home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Love wearing a good suit on occasion but wouldn't like to have to wear a full suit and tie everyday. I like it when it's an occasional treat and it really does make you look different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

I find if i'm in home in Waterford everyone is like "wow, omgz, a suit!!111!!" and they ask where i've been etc.

If i'm in Dublin i'm just another regular joe coming from work.

Do you really wear a waistcoat to work? Never really see that!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Dressing up for shopping the expensive stores gets you attention by the sales clerks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

It might the waistcoat tbh. Waistcoat suggests formal occasion such as wedding etc. Most people wouldn't wear one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I wear a suit without a tie. No problems with comments either, not having the tie makes people assume you're finished work, or just having a casual day, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭colm-ccfc84

I got my first suit a few weeks back but I haven't worn it yet! Must get the ends of the legs tailored. Looks dapper though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Scally07

Its great lookin the bollocks for the first few weeks of a new job then the novelty wears off. People definitely look at you differently especially if your a young lad like meself when your suited n booted. i don't go for anythin special when it comes to trousers, but i find Van Heusen shirts that you can get in Arnotts are a really good smart fit, not too pricey either.

Can't say i'd wear a waist coat though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Mmm, waistcoats ;-)

I find I have similar experiences when I'm wearing my work clothes (smart trousers/ pencil skirt, heels & such; girls don't have to wear suits!) as to when I'm in my everyday clothes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

I find the same when I dress in my smart clothes (shirt trousers and heels) for work. You do get a 2nd look from people especially men and it's nice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Ive had to wear suits for the last year and a half to work (im 22). At first I loved it but now I ****ing hate it. Getting up half asleep every morning and having to put on a full suit is a pain in the arse. They arent the most comfortable things either.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭mitsubishi1

Just looking for your views guys as well as to whether you like wearing a tux or whether you find it a pain, espeially if you have to hire it. I dont know about ye but I dont own a tux so I would have to hire one each time I need it. Do many people own a tux nowadays ????
    Also I have to admit the one thing I do like doing with a self tied bowtie is being able to hang it around your neck near the end of the night, something you can't do with a pre-tied bow tie.

Do any of ye guys think it is worthwhile buying a tux instead of hiring one out all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭mitsubishi1

Well lads just wondering about your opinion on the above. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Do any of ye guys think it is worthwhile buying a tux instead of hiring one out all the time.

If I was you, I'd only rent out a tux as its not something that you can get a lot of use out of. You certainly couldn't be using it for interviews (well I suppose you could, if you really wanted to :D )

As opposed to a suit which would be able to cover you for a number of different tasks (i.e. interviews, work, meetings etc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

I like wearing a suit myself, only on occasion though. The only thing is that it's my brothers suit and not a 'perfect' fit. So i would love to get one tailored some day. Plus the girlfriend LOVES it!! heh heh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Just looking for your views guys as well as to whether you like wearing a tux or whether you find it a pain, espeially if you have to hire it. I dont know about ye but I dont own a tux so I would have to hire one each time I need it. Do many people own a tux nowadays ????
    Also I have to admit the one thing I do like doing with a self tied bowtie is being able to hang it around your neck near the end of the night, something you can't do with a pre-tied bow tie.

Yes, you can usually buy an ex-rental one for e150 so it's paid for itself after you've worn it twice. M&S also do a fairly cheap one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I'm always very wary of people wearing suits - I think I'm expecting them to try to sell me something...

Advertisement