Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honours Maths Paper Error

Options
  • 13-06-2007 2:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭

Was just wondering whether there was an error on the honours maths paper 2? In the last part of (c) in the vectors question it asks to prove r bisects angle. Should there be an arrow to imply that it is a vector?...or am i reading it wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

obviously I can't say for sure but the I read it was this:

the point, r, is on the bisector of poq.

r is a point, or(arrow) is a vector and, confusingly, r (arrow) is it's abbreviation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

r is a point.

r with an arrow is a vector.

The question was "Show that r is on the line that bisects the angle"

This could also be phrased as "Show that r with an arrow bisects the angle"

No misprint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

speaking of maths misprints.....

In Paper I, the first diff. question. f(x)=, g(x)=, find f'(x) and g'(x) HENCE Prove f(x) + g(x) is a constant....

Was anyone else convinced this was a misprint?? My grinds teacher is convinced they meant add the diff's of each, which does give a constant (0).... That's what I did, although I strongly suspect a 0 for my efforts.... I had no idea that it was possible to add Tan-1 quantities...... But the word 'Hence', that's what made me think it.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭seandoiler

md99 wrote:

In Paper I, the first diff. question. f(x)=, g(x)=, find f'(x) and g'(x) HENCE Prove f(x) + g(x) is a constant....

Was anyone else convinced this was a misprint?? My grinds teacher is convinced they meant add the diff's of each, which does give a constant (0).... That's what I did, although I strongly suspect a 0 for my efforts.... I had no idea that it was possible to add Tan-1 quantities...... But the word 'Hence', that's what made me think it.

if you differentiate a constant you get 0, the derivative of f(x) + g(x) is simply f'(x) + g'(x), now since this is zero, it implies that f(x) + g(x) has to be a constant....there are two ways to do the addition part, firstly you can put in any acceptable value of x and simply work out the value, as it is constant or you can use a triangle method...whether or which the answer is pi/2

md99 wrote:

If that were the case then what would be the point of (c)(iii)?

You either add the diffs, get zero and therefore the sum of the two functions is a constant, or put f'(x) = -g'(x), integrate both sides and you get a constant of integration, so f(x) + g(x) = c.

I can't see why anyone would think it was a misprint. I originally added the diffs and got zero and said that was a constant, but then scribbled it out when I saw I had misread it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

I hope very little marks will go for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

Nehpets wrote:
    I hope very little marks will go for that

I too, brother

It's prob 10 marks for part (i), 5 for part (ii) and 5 for part (iii).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Part one I'd prob get a blunder, or attempts and probably nothing for the other two

Advertisement