Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sunderland Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2007/2008

• 13-06-2007 9:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭

Since there is going to be a lot of interest from an Irish perspective this season in relation to Sunderland, why not have a dedicated thread for them too? So here it is.

With a rumoured budget of between €30m and €45m to spend on players, this summer is going to be busy for Keane. He has purchased one 'big' player so far (he is 6 foot 5 :)) in Greg Halford (RB) from Reading for €3.5.

He is also reportedly in the hunt for Alan Smith and Jussi Jaaskelainen.

Sunderland have an okay squad..

Ward is an okay goalkeeper but he is pushing on, nearly 34 I think. Jussi would be great but I doubt Bolton would sell. Scott Carson is said to be available for a loan again this season.

In defence, I would imagine that a back four of Halford - Nosworthy - Colins - Wright is their best available back four.

The S'Land midfiled is probably where they are strongest with players like Carlos Edwards, Liam Miller, Dean Whitehead, Ross Wallace, Graham Kavanagh and Tobias Hysen all competiting.

Keane also has Daryl Murphy and Stephen Elliot available to him. Both of these players have played advanced midfield roles in the past season.

Up front they have the two before mentioned players, David Connolly, Stephen Elliot, Stern John and Anthony Stokes.

Dwight Yorke is also in the squad of course but I would be surprised if he was kept on for this season. I’m not sure on Kenny Cunningham’s situation either.

Keane needs a decent 15 goal ish striker (which I doubt he has in his current selection of strickers), midfield cover, maybe two decent defenders (CB and LB) and a steady goalkeeper and he has a team which would be well capable of surviving in the Premiership IMO.

[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

How is Greg Halford worth £3.5m?

He made just 3 appearances for Reading

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Mad money alright. I never even heard of him before this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

Up front they have the two before mentioned players, David Connolly, Stephen Elliot, Stern John and Anthony Stokes.

Dwight Yorke is also in the squad of course but I would be surprised if he was kept on for this season. I’m not sure on Kenny Cunningham’s situation either
    Cunningham was released. I'm sure I read somewhere that Stern John was offered to a Championship club, possibly for McSheffrey.
    Connolly is supposed to be offered in exchange for Nugent

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Jussi, Nugent, Smith(and every other united player) and Gravesen are all currently being linked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

With a rumoured budget of between €30 and €45 to spend on players, this summer is going to be busy for Keane.

He'd get 45 eurosaver hamburgers with that. 60 if he got them on a tuesday.

Loaded ;):D

• Advertisement

woops £-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

a.k.a

The Bandwagon Thread

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Archimedes wrote:

a.k.a

The Bandwagon Thread

Could say that about many many many other transfer rumour threads on here.

Im torn on this one , i like Keane and hope he does well but i dont like Drum lads investing. So i would like to se them go down but then Keane doesnt get anywhere.

Tough one.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Archimedes, read my PM - I'd read it again everytime you post something here for the next few weeks.

Anyways.

I was kinda wondering whether a thread like this would surface. :)

I'm interested myself in how Keane will do, but more so in the development of some of our Irish players. I was very impressed with Daryl Murphy for Ireland, he has a great work rate.

The rumours suggest that Connolly or Stern John will be offered with cash for Nugent. I'd like to see Connolly get a chance in the premiership. Keane has suggested he's never had the right manager to bring out the best in him, so it would be a good indication of whether that was waffle by Keane or not.

The really need a reliable defender. An audacious move for Dunne (unsettling times at Man City??) or a more predictible move for McShane maybe?

Other than that, I think they need experience. And experienced striker for the squad would help. I think Kav can contribute at premiership level in midfield.

psi wrote:
    The rumours suggest that Connolly or Stern John will be offered with cash for Nugent.

It's rumored to be between Stern John and Stephen Elliot. I'm not sure how many appearances Elliot has made in the past year but he surely has more potential and more to offer than Stern John.

• Advertisement

Heh, guess thats why you can't trust rumours.

I think John has done more than Elliott, but obviously I'd rather see John go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Archimedes wrote:

a.k.a

The Bandwagon Thread

What do you think the interest in Argentina would be like of Diego Maradona was appointed the manager of an Italian club?

Honestly Archimedes, I'm going to delete yet another post. Your next one on this thread of the same merit will earn you a ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Archimedes wrote:

a.k.a

The Bandwagon Thread

I don't think there's anything wrong with the post above. I mean it's the same as calling Man U, Chelsea & Arsenal supporters glory hunters because they were winning titles at the time. psi - I think you need to take a chill pill. It makes me wonder why people were crying out for a thunderdome type "football" forum.

If users of a team want to open up a thread such as this for their team, they are more than welcome. The post above was a 100% waste of bandwidth by someone who was recently unbanned. All teams are afforded the same protection and we get posts reported by United, Chelsea etc fans when the same sort of thing is said.

Now, the matter is finished in this forum, bans will follow.

Hmm ok. I didn't know he was unbanned. If I have a ban threat hanging over my head well then I don't know what is wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm also very torn about them. I love Keane by hate Quinn, so just can't decide. To be honest, I want them to do well, but not very very well. I want them to do well enough, for Keane to take over an below top 4 club (like Spurs, Newcastle or somebody) see if he can hack it, and if he can, let him come to United. Also, there's a lot of Irish players there, so I think this might be like the Villa of old :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

psi wrote:
    The rumours suggest that Connolly or Stern John will be offered with cash for Nugent. I'd like to see Connolly get a chance in the premiership.

Connolly did get his chance in the premisership.

He joined Wigan in summer 2005, his first time signing with a Premiership team. He did not make much of an impression though, the only time I recall him playing was when Wigan's second string team beat Newcastle in the Carling Cup

I covered that by the part of the same paragraph you ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I have to admit to jumping on the bandwagon last year as I just have a scary unhealthy fascination with Roy Keane but I have to say I really enjoyed watching them last year and I'm looking forward to seeing them in the prem.

Now Alan Smith, Can anyone really see him going to sunderland? As a United fan I "really really really" love Alan Smith such a work horse and I'd be devistated to see him leave but if he's going anywhere I want to see him at sunderland looks like 7m STG is been put in for him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Forget about Niall Quinn and his cronies. Keane is the reason for the big interest in this country. I think if people realised that then there wouldn't be so much of a fuss. Sunderland have not gained a load of fans, that I know of anyway. It's just plenty of people are hugely interested in everything Roy Keane does. Setanta's record viewing figure is Roy Keane's Old Firm debut.

Did IQs drop recently or can you all not read?

QUIT THIS BANDWAGON CRAP. QUIT THE LOI BITCHING.

Start a thread or ressurect one of the million and one old ones.

This time I'm deleting posts, next time I'll be banning.

This thread is for people to discuss sunderland issues not have a go or push their own agendas.

I will ban without mercy from here on in to people arguing or not following these simple directions.

Now carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I see Roy Keane was at the England U21 match last night. I assume he was watching Nugent.

ciaran76 wrote:
    I see Roy Keane was at the England U21 match last night. I assume he was watching Nugent.
    Possibly Carson and Richardson too, I would imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

He has also tried to get Rossi a couple of times, I'd imagine this is the same again :) I think he was there looking at Nugent and Richardson

Linked with Baines today. For 6 million? I think not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Keane wont stand a chance of getting Rossi, unless its a loan until the January transfer window.

Sunderland also have arranged a friendly with Juventus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Some Premiership outfit is sniffing around Dudek too. Would be a good buy if he can't get Carson for a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

At the moment, I think Birmingham have a better chance of staying up than Sunderland do. They're making some pretty good signings while Sunderland can't seem to attract players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Looks like its Bolton lookin at Dudek

oh and well said PSI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Looks like keane has pulled the plug on the nugent deal and withdrawn his offer, apprently dfoe is the next target, it's not looking good for them no big signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

ciaran76 wrote:
    Gotta love his style, got a pain in his bollix waiting on Nugent to make his mind up so pulled the plug :D Hes dead right, if a player needs over a week to think about leaving an average championship side to go and play for a p'ship team with massive potential :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Sizzler wrote:
    Gotta love his style, got a pain in his bollix waiting on Nugent to make his mind up so pulled the plug :D Hes dead right, if a player needs over a week to think about leaving an average championship side to go and play for a p'ship team with massive potential :confused:

I think Nugent has been waiting for Everton to make an offer but it doesn't look like that has happened. I can understand his concerns about Sunderland as well, this is a big move for Nugent and does he want to be back in the championship again in 12 months?

S'Land have been relegated already?
    That was quick. Thanks for the news Fred.

Who won the league btw? I think I missed that as well.

• Advertisement

S'Land have been relegated already?
    That was quick. Thanks for the news Fred.

Who won the league btw? I think I missed that as well.

Sunderland don't exactly have a great record in the premiership, over the last few years anyway. The three teams that come up are always the favourites to go back down and I expect Nugent would have liked to see some bigger signings before he went there.

No need to get all high and mighty about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭maxi-twist

Sunderland sign CHopra, a good player in the championship last year. Id be suprised if he can sut it in the premiership to be honest but we'll soon see!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/s/sunderland/6291244.stm

At least he's better than the likes of connolly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i think i might cry with happiness if Sunderland get relegated this year

I can't believe he cost £5 million. Players prices are very over inflated at the moment.

Koumas being 1 for example.

5m bid turned down for Gordon.
    Have never seen him play. How good is he?

• Advertisement

ciaran76 wrote:
    Koumas being 1 for example.

Being a west brom fan im pretty pleased with that,hes a good player in the championship. he wont be able to run around people in the premiership though. 5.3 mil and gera's there to replace him. hopefully we'll get a good bit for camara aswell. And then we'll be on track. I hope to god we hold onto davis though. He's a quality player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,430 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

5m bid turned down for Gordon.
    Have never seen him play. How good is he?
    He is brilliant - has the potential to be a great keeper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Tauren wrote:
    He is brilliant - has the potential to be a great keeper.

He is a good shot stopper and a natural leader but has done one or two stupid things while playing for Hearts in Edinburgh derbys. He is young too and with a decnt back four (like any keeper) could be very good.

maxi-twist wrote:
    Being a west brom fan im pretty pleased with that,hes a good player in the championship. he wont be able to run around people in the premiership though. 5.3 mil and gera's there to replace him. hopefully we'll get a good bit for camara aswell. And then we'll be on track. I hope to god we hold onto davis though. He's a quality player.

Diomansy Camara for £6m to Fulham, you must be over the moon, the world has officially gone barking mad:D

maxi-twist wrote:
    Sunderland sign CHopra, a good player in the championship last year. Id be suprised if he can sut it in the premiership to be honest but we'll soon see!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/s/sunderland/6291244.stm

At least he's better than the likes of connolly.

That may well turn out to be a good signing, but he won't get much chance to make a name for himself, if he does not deliver straight away, the Mackams will get on his back pretty quickly.

Diomansy Camara for £6m to Fulham, you must be over the moon, the world has officially gone barking mad:D

Yeah, thats a joke. To be fair, he's ****. Same price as nugent. Almost as much as bellamy, whos way better.

Chopra's still fairly young, he has the makings of a good player, but against top end premiership defenders i cant really see him doing much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Silly money to pay for a player who only cost £750,000 last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Silly money to pay for a player who only cost £750,000 last season.

I heard last night on Newstalk that Sunderland sold all their corporate boxes for their 1st time in their history. Good for them.

Dickson Etuhu is in talks with Sunderland. Not officially confirmed by NCFC but I know for certain he's in talks with the club.

• Advertisement
Advertisement