Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sunderland Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Kieran Richardson signs up. Will be very interested to see how he gets on, I dont think he is a terrible player just not good enough for United, think he could perform quite well at sunderland where the pressure on him isnt as big.

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=477190&CPID=8&clid=56&lid=3&title=Black+Cats+land+Richardson&channel=&

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think he will keep Sunderland in the premiership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭maxi-twist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

maxi-twist wrote:

Told you so and no, 1 million pound made from his departure after we only bought him for 450k. A player who will show up in 3 or 4 matches and then disappear for the rest of the season. Had very few good games for us so we made a profit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Keane hasn't been too great in the transfer market, has he?
    None of the players he has bought have proven premiership quality.

Richardson - Flashes while at loan at WBA two seasons ago, hasn't consistently played since then.
    Anderson - Never heard of him before Keane signed him.
    Chopra - Did well in the championship after failing to set N'Castle alight.
    Halford - Never heard of him before Keano came in.
    Etuhu - I have heard of him but never seen him play before.

If he managed to pick up Gordon and Alan Smith then he will be doing well but even at those two potential signings, he is still probably three players away from having a squad capable of withstanding relegation IMO.

Is he panic buying squad players?

None of the players he has bought have proven premiership quality.

3 of the players he has signed you've never seen play. I think Richardson is a good enough buy to keep them up, I think they'll finish mid-table, probably in the lower side of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

think richardson will be a good buy 4 sunderland not a bad footballer but no where near good enough for united.still think keane needs about 3-4 new players preferably wit premiership experience who they will be tho is the big question.smith,gordon and another defender and they mighn't be too bad id say he will be lookin at a few loan moves aswel.starting 11 next season anyone?

PHB wrote:
    3 of the players he has signed you've never seen play. I think Richardson is a good enough buy to keep them up, I think they'll finish mid-table, probably in the lower side of it.

yes, they all came from the championship having never played in the premierleague therefore are unproven

yabadabado wrote:
    starting 11 next season anyone?
    Not too familar with the squad but if it was a 4-4-2 I would imagine it would be close to this...(not sure who they have at LB)

- - -- - - - - - Ward
    Halford - Nosworthy - Collins - ?????
    Edwards - Kavanagh - Whitehead - Richardson
    - - - - - -Murphy - Connolly/Chopra

I suppose it's not much different from the Reading in terms of quality really...

• Advertisement

think keane will try baines again that wud be lb sorted and anderson will start at cb

yabadabado wrote:
    think keane will try baines again that wud be lb sorted and anderson will start at cb

Yup,
    They're in talks at the moment according to the bbc..
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/s/sunderland/6288856.stm

Excellent signing if they get him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Looks like Leighton Baines is staying put.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/s/sunderland/6288856.stm

Sunderland do seem to be having trouble landing any big talents (no Richardson does'nt count!), or is it asking too much in year-one back up when many have them marked for relegation.

Mike.

Sunderland are in for Paul McShane. The guy has been a great talent ever since his days at the reserves at United. He was fantastic in the championship last season. I really hope he signs for them, he deserves to play premiership football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I couldn't speak highly enough of McShane. Potential to be top class imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I'd agree, potential to be one of the best around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Great signing, and great price for him too. Hope he does well for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

He has suspect hips from a medical, which is why his price was so low. Great potential though. Their best signing by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Quality signing tbh, has all the potential in the world to be a top quality defender. He's a determined little defender so he is, more luck to em at Sunderland

mcshane is a super signing for them.keane rates him very highly they tried for him in janurary aswel.heard the thing about the dodgy hips not to serious but it is wot has stopped him joining earlier on in the summer he was always one of their top targets

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭maxi-twist

Will he play RB then? I think he's a bit dicey at CB. He's got good pace and some skill too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

With all this Heinze hassle, I wonder what the possibility of Keane getting Heinze til January or something...

The_B_Man wrote:
    With all this Heinze hassle, I wonder what the possibility of Keane getting Heinze til January or something...

None.
    Sure Heinze apparently already made it clear he wouldn't go to Newcastle.

The_B_Man wrote:

I wouldn't rule it out but I wouldn't back it to happen.
    A lot will depend on where S'Land are in the league come December.

Hard to know where McShane is going to fit in at the back. Halford was bought for 3.5m and he is a RB and must be first choice. Nosworthy was their most improved player under Keane when he was converted from RB to CB and Keano also bought this Anderson (CB) fella.

maxi-twist wrote:
    Will he play RB then? I think he's a bit dicey at CB. He's got good pace and some skill too!
    I don't rate him at right back at all. He's a class little centre half imo. Cannavaro style.

He will play CB, no doubt about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I watched McShane on the TV a fair few times last season playing for West Brom in the championship and he looked average/poor on each occasion, even when i would just see West Brom goals on Sky Sports it seemed to be McShane clowning around for most of the goals :confused: He's done well for Ireland no doubt but I would be very sceptical if he is going to hack it at Premiership level

I watched McShane on the TV a fair few times last season playing for West Brom in the championship and he looked average/poor on each occasion, even when i would just see West Brom goals on Sky Sports it seemed to be McShane clowning around for most of the goals :confused: He's done well for Ireland no doubt but I would be very sceptical if he is going to hack it at Premiership level
    What position? He played about 2 league games at centre half last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Sunderland scout watching Quigley last night vs Cork, he played fairly well.

When does english window close? leeds want him but ehh having some issues at the moment, if o Donovan goes for 800k we could easily get over a million for him knowing our luck in the selling of players.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭bbop

Sunderland have made a late bid for Roy O Donavon, just heard it there, Keane is confident he can change his mind over Fulham, he would still stay with Cork until the end of the season

• Advertisement

I'd rather he went to Fulham. It's bad enough having to watch Stokes being played out of position regularly even though he usually scored when put up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭james123

saw sunderland on the weekend they had a pretty good backline but attacking they seem to run out of ideas a bit flat and seemed to find it very hard to score against bohs they need to buy some firepower soon that have proven records

Keano is after confirming that he is interested in Mido. Not sure about that one tbh.

Also rumors are that Villa and S'land are going head to head to get Gordon this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Mido seems like a panic buy, his attitude stinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Esse85 wrote:
    Mido seems like a panic buy, his attitude stinks.
    I'd like to see Mido try the "stroppy primadonna" act with Keane:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Gordon transfer fee is going to be 8-9 Million GBP ?

Whoever buys him are been taken to the cleaners IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

I agree, typical of British players, there so over priced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,346 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Just proves there is so much money sloshing around the EPL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Sunderland supposed to be interested in Seamus Coleman

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Keane’s motivational efforts, mixed in with a **** load of ’screaming for the sake of screaming’, isn’t going to be enough to keep the Black Cats afloat.
    Keane hasn’t been very active in the transfer market (see quote below), which is unfortunate because Sunderland are not good enough for the Premier League.
    Ouch! Enjoy! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Craig Gordon has signed a five year deal at Sunderland. Fee is believed to be £9 million, 7 mill now and a further 2 mill depending on appearances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Gordon's a very good buy and it says alot that he took Sunderland over City and Villa.

On a side note, that blog is hilarious, not least because the guy who wrote it seems not to have a clue. In predicting Sunderland's relegation based on Keane's only skill being motivational, he then puts Fulham ahead of Sanchez based on his skill being motivational (Fulham for the drop lads, put the money on now before the odds drop like a lead balloon).

His top 5 prediction is, quite frankly hilarious too. Not for his actual prediction, but for his reasoning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

Esse85 wrote:
    I agree, typical of British players, there so over priced.

youre correct in that EPL players are overpriced however the Gordon transfer fee is NOT typical of British players.

English-based players are generally over priced, whereas a Scottish based player of equal calibre generally goes for around a half what they would fetch in the EPL. The Gordon transfer is confusing simply because its possibly the first time in history a Scottish player has been valued at EPL prices.

He's a good keeper, but NEVER worth £9m. I hope Sunderland have more money to spare.

odonnell wrote:
    youre correct in that EPL players are overpriced however the Gordon transfer fee is NOT typical of British players.

English-based players are generally over priced, whereas a Scottish based player of equal calibre generally goes for around a half what they would fetch in the EPL. The Gordon transfer is confusing simply because its possibly the first time in history a Scottish player has been valued at EPL prices.

He's a good keeper, but NEVER worth £9m. I hope Sunderland have more money to spare.

you are right, I think it is English based players who are over priced, take the Bid for Kenwynne Jones and the transfer of Diomansy Kamara as examples. Both non British and overpriced.

I still find it amazing that a Scottish goalkeeper could be good;)

you are right, I think it is English based players who are over priced, take the Bid for Kenwynne Jones and the transfer of Diomansy Kamara as examples. Both non British and overpriced.

I still find it amazing that a Scottish goalkeeper could be good;)

Youre surprised by a good Scottish goalie mate? Man, Scotland only produces two, maybe 3 generic types of footballing legend - Managers, Centre Backs, and Goalies!

• Advertisement

odonnell wrote:
    Youre surprised by a good Scottish goalie mate? Man, Scotland only produces two, maybe 3 generic types of footballing legend - Managers, Centre Backs, and Goalies!

i know, but the goalies aren't usually legends for being good:p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

SectionF wrote:
    Ouch! Enjoy! :D

This is the point I stopped reading:

Middlesbrough:

Getting goals may be the problem for the Teesiders this season. Southgate has brought in Jeremie Aliadiere to provide firepower :confused: to compliment the outstanding Yakubu:rolleyes:

Reason to Watch: They’ve got two potential future England mainstays in Downing :eek: and Cattermole, both worth watching.

i know, but the goalies aren't usually legends for being good:p

what you tryin to say??? ;)

jaysus... in MY memory, Jim leighton, andy goram (of whom there were two hehe) ... :) wonderful keepers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,430 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

marco_polo wrote:

Middlesbrough:

Getting goals may be the problem for the Teesiders this season. Southgate has brought in Jeremie Aliadiere to provide firepower :confused: to compliment the outstanding Yakubu:rolleyes:

Reason to Watch: They’ve got two potential future England mainstays in Downing :eek: and Cattermole, both worth watching.
    Well Yakubu has consistently been one of the leagues top goal scorers, while playing for fairly poor sides - and Downing IS a mainstay of the english squad at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

marco_polo wrote:

Middlesbrough:

Whats wrong with that? Yakubu is a cracking player and Downing has most definitely got the potential to make the left wing his own. He just has to become more consistent.

With regard to Aliadere the bloke didn't give any indication that he rated him, he merely stated that Southgate brought him in to provide firepower.

• Advertisement
Advertisement