Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sunderland Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Tauren wrote:
    and Downing IS a mainstay of the english squad at least.

doesn't make him good.

I heard he is Steve McClaren's love child, that can be the only explanation for him being picked all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

He wouldn't exactly have any trouble getting in to the Sunderland team.

Anyway, I'm not a Sunderland fan and the odds for relegation are looking tempting so I was hoping that someone here could some up the premiership standard players in the team. Seems like a bunch of championship material to me. No offence

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Pighead wrote:
    Whats wrong with that? Yakubu is a cracking player and Downing has most definitely got the potential to make the left wing his own. He just has to become more consistent.

With regard to Aliadere the bloke didn't give any indication that he rated him, he merely stated that Southgate brought him in to provide firepower.

It seems I misread the Aliadere bit alright. Not saying Yakubu isn't a good player but he hasn't been half the player for Boro that he was during his time at Portmouth, he will have to pick it up big time next season.

Downing is a massively overated player and I would be very surprised if he ever becomes more than a squad player with England. If he does it will be as a result of him being the only English left footed winger in the premiership.

marco_polo wrote:
    It seems I misread the Aliadere bit alright. Not saying Yakubu isn't a good player but he hasn't been half the player for Boro that he was during his time at Portmouth, he will have to pick it up big time next season.

Downing is a massively overated player and I would be very surprised if he ever becomes more than a squad player with England. If he does it will be as a result of him being the only English left footed winger in the premiership.

Apart from Matthew Taylor, who despite having a much better season than Downing can't even get in the B squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Harte is training with Sunderland with a view to a move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Andy Cole is having a medical and yeah Sunderland are set to sign Ian Harte. And roumour Roy Keane is lining up a bid to take Andy Reid to the Stadium of Light.

If Andy Reid plays every week like he did on Wednesday he'd be a great signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

sammy kuffour is training with sunderland with a view to a permanent move.would be a good buy imo.hasnt played much football in the last year tho, he only 30 and has great experence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Andy Reid would make sense but I think Pardew would be looking for about £5m. He made him captain and I doubt Charlton would go up if they sold him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

well they did want to sign Mido and instead picked up Cole for free, which should mean they have the money to get reid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

currently Luton 3-0 Sunderland....

Not good for Sunderland. What kind of team was playing - full strength?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Seems a pretty stong team, Keano wont be happy.

Ward
    Halford Nosworthy Anderson Wallace
    Miller Leadbitter Ehtuhu Murphy
    Chopra Stokes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

If Andy Reid plays every week like he did on Wednesday he'd be a great signing.
    The few games that Andy actually played last season, he was without a doubt Charlton's best player. Infact, in terms of pure ability, I think Andy is one of Ireland best players. If only he can stay free of injuries, we can really see what he has to offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Keane will be angry but should be happy to have less to think about. Only one competition matters this season.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Sunderland certainly need to show a big improvement or they'll be plumetting back from whence they came. At this early stage, I think the three worst teams in the premiership, in order, are derby, sunderland, birmingham.

Carlos Edwards is a big loss though, he's probably been Keane's best signing (he's best signings have tended to be the non-Irish and non-exManU men !!)

Ian Harte signed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Oh well! :p

Mike.

Aye. Not exactly the standard they need but has to be improvement on playing Ross Wallace at left back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Sunderland have signed Southampton striker Kenwyne Jones for £6 million. :eek: Man transfer fees are gone ridiculous!
    http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_2693868,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Average striker affter average striker. Now he has:

Chopra
    Stokes
    Murphy
    Jones
    John
    O'Donnovan

6 average strikers that wont be in the top 10 maybe 15 goalscorers come the end of the season. What is the need for 6 strikers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Actually Stern John has gone to Southampton....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

to be fair to him (keane) there is not alot of quality strikers out there who want to join sunderland...if this were not the case Mido would be playing there now, he in my opinion would have been a very good signing i know all sunderland fans out there are extatic to be in the premiership and im delighted for them to be there but i really think the squad there is a championship squad...

its the main reason i think sunderland will go straight back down, i dont want to see it happen but i cant see any decent players that are available now to help the cause

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,097 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Mikeyt086 wrote:
    Average striker affter average striker. Now he has:

Chopra
    Stokes
    Murphy
    Jones
    John
    O'Donnovan

6 average strikers that wont be in the top 10 maybe 15 goalscorers come the end of the season. What is the need for 6 strikers?

And Connolly and Cole. And should the need arise, Yorke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

does Keane actually have a plan for all these strikers? it seems like he's just chancing his arse on 'em

• Advertisement

hes not in the job a year yet, im sure theres going to be trial and error with him, you have to expect that... its a reason why i think maybe they came up too soon and another year would have let keane adjust fully to management? it does have the grasping at straws look about it i admit, but you need a big squad in the premiership, especially if your going to be fighting relegation, and in sunderlands case, the more firepower the better IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Wow over £30m spent by Sunderland this summer. Perhaps the signing of Jones is the end of a prolonged effort to get the player, but it smacks of last minute utter panic.

Russell Anderson (£1million)
    Michael Chopra (£5million)
    Andy Cole (free)
    Dickson Etuhu (£1.5million)
    Craig Gordon (£7million)
    Greg Halford (£3million)
    Ian Harte (free)
    Danny Higginbotham (£3million)
    Kenwyne Jones (£6million)
    Paul McShane (£1.5million)
    Roy O'Donovan (undisc.)
    Kieran Richardson (undisc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Wow over £30m spent by Sunderland this summer. Perhaps the signing of Jones is the end of a prolonged effort to get the player, but it smacks of last minute utter panic.

Russell Anderson (£1million)
    Michael Chopra (£5million)
    Andy Cole (free)
    Dickson Etuhu (£1.5million)
    Craig Gordon (£7million)
    Greg Halford (£3million)
    Ian Harte (free)
    Danny Higginbotham (£3million)
    Kenwyne Jones (£6million)
    Paul McShane (£1.5million)
    Roy O'Donovan (undisc.)
    Kieran Richardson (undisc.)

In fairness now, he got Gordon and McShane in that 30m, two great signings who will only get better and increase in value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

You buy Championship players I think thats where they will end up.

The only Prem. players with experience they have bought is Cole,Yorke,Richardson and Harte.

Yorke hasn't played in Prem for a few years and same with Harte bu I think they are throwing money on some players out of desperation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

think they'll go down, they haven't bought near well enough

wont know who to be up for at the weekend :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I knew Sunderland would be crap. Gordon is great, McShane is solid, Nosworthy is good, but their team overall is terrible. I thought they would sign good players, not Michael Chopra.

Stokes sucks.

The scu... sorry Southampton fans are quite pleased about this. Their comments range from "Good bit of business", to "LOL@Sunderland". My favourite was "Daylight Robbery - Thanks Sunderland" :D

http://www.thesaintsforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=23270

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I must say some of the signings Sunderland made have been awful. What a complete waste of money. £6m for Kenwyn Jones! :D

Kingp35 wrote:
    I must say some of the signings Sunderland made have been awful. What a complete waste of money. £6m for Kenwyn Jones! :D

and to think that big Niall called Pompey's spending crazy, then goes and spends 9m on a keeper and £6m on a guy who is not a regular in the Trinidad and Tobago team:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

and to think that big Niall called Pompey's spending crazy, then goes and spends 9m on a keeper and £6m on a guy who is not a regular in the Trinidad and Tobago team:rolleyes:

In fairness if they do stay up that £9m spent will probably be the reason why, and will have been a great investment.

Not if he leaves the season after they buy him cause they get relegated! :)

Stokes sucks.
    So would van Nistelrooy or Inzaghi if they were playing on the left wing, or as a support striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

Whats Roy Keane going to do when he runs out of ex Man Utd/Celtic/Ireland team mates to sign?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Is Keane himself registered as a player? In an emergency I reckon he could still sit in front of back four and dictate play/tackle etc , players say he is still great in training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Is Keane himself registered as a player? In an emergency I reckon he could still sit in front of back four and dictate play/tackle etc , players say he is still great in training.

Thats cos they are afraid of him !!!:p

• Advertisement

please tell me thats a joke?!

they have spent more than 30 million pounds, if they have to call upon Keane that really says something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

please tell me thats a joke?!

they have spent more than 30 million pounds, if they have to call upon Keane that really says something!
    Whitehead is out for most season, Etuthu is going to african nations with nigeria and they havent signed anyone to cover centre midfield. I was referring to an emergency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Jebus no posts since august :eek: has Quinny failed :eek:

Im off over there morrow to annoy Desf and watch sunderland reserves play.

Anyone been there?

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

KdjaCL wrote: »

Im off over there morrow to annoy Desf and watch sunderland reserves play.

kdjac

So you're not going over to support Pats? Oirish fan, fecking bandwagon"er".:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Apparently Keane is in for Andy Reid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,097 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Kinda strangely, Liam Miller has just been told he can leave the club and has been transfer listed..

Very sudden, I wonder if something happened..

anyway, he can't leave till the summer, but he can go on loan to a lower division.
    Liam Miller has been told he can leave Sunderland after he was put on the club's transfer list.

Miller, who is currently working his way back from a calf injury, can only join a Football League club on an emergency loan deal before the end of the current campaign.

A permanent transfer is not permitted until after the season, in May, when the transfer window re-opens.

The 27-year-old Republic of Ireland international joins Ross Wallace, David Connolly, Ian Harte, Stephen Wright, Graham Kavanagh, Greg Halford and Stanislav Varga on Sunderland's transfer list.

Miller has made 13 Premier League starts this season and joined the Black Cats from Manchester United in 2006 on a free transfer.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11695_3203846,00.html

thats strange isnt it? always thought Keane liked Miller, maybe hes finally realised hes not good enough to cut it at top level?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Ross Wallace, David Connolly, Ian Harte, Stephen Wright, Graham Kavanagh, Greg Halford and Stanislav Varga

I didn't realise all those players were listed when the January window opened.

Ross Wallace was doing a decent job filling in at left back until he got injured?
    ...and Ian Harte? He hasn't had a chance at all - why did Keane even sign him:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Odd move, I always thought Miller was one of their better players.
    Think he'd have a nicer life if he played in Scotland.

• Advertisement

maybe they had a falling out? both from Cork, maybe they had a clash over the best route to get to hillbillys at 2 am one night lol

he is one of their better players imo, but he isnt good enough to play CM in a decent premiership team, which is what Sunderland will be aspiring to next season (if they stay up)

Advertisement