Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

N11 last night

Options
  • 13-06-2007 9:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭

Some real cowboys and Indians out and around the N11 last night, was getting some fuel in Rathnew filling station on the way home and all hell was breaking loose, loads of high powered cars screeching away, flying around the place followed by the gardai, I think the accident last night was related to this, not 100% sure but think some of them are seriously hurt.

The "racer" thing is getting totally out of hand around Wicklow, I'm getting pissed off with people thinking they can get away with behaving like this and by the looks of things harming themselves and others in the process.

I'm all for people doing what they want to their cars, putting a V12 in a mini etc, but I think their should be a compulsory advanced driver training course for anyone under 30 years who wants to purchase and insure a high powered car.

Rant over.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

What is a high powered car accrodign to you?

I dont need no advance fancy pants course, give me any motor and ill handle it just fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Maybe a leaving cert course in english might be better.

heheh, I actually scored quite highly in my Higher Level English LC many moons ago. :D

But yes , rant away ... i realise not all drivers are as naturally talented as some of us here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

But yes , rant away ... i realise not all drivers are as naturally talented as some of us here

:rolleyes:

Can you predict what other folk are going to do too ??

MercMad wrote:
    :rolleyes:

Can you predict what other folk are going to do too ??

To some extent, yes actually!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭Wossack

maybe not an advanced training course, but an advanced test so. It'd weed out the ones who talk the talk anyway

compusary basic training though first tbh...

Wossack wrote:
    maybe not an advanced training course, but an advanced test so. It'd weed out the ones who talk the talk anyway

compusary basic training though first tbh...

That would be better idea, but in an ideal world that's what the Full licence test should be in the first place .... afterall it is an EU licence .. which if you pass, the tester must have confidence that you can handle a BMW M3 on an Autobahn as well as a 1.4 corrolla on the Navan road.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

C_Breeze wrote:
    Why, becuase I disagree with your idea of an advanced driving course for under 30 year old on performance cars? ....how did you come up with that one?

How about improving the whole area of getting a licence and the full licence test in the first place

And im pretty sure that personal insults go against the forum charter and lead to a BAN

he has got your number though.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

Guarantee you, stick most people who think they're advanced drivers on a skid pan and they'd be fooked - handling a car well at speed is difficult - if it was easy everyone would be rally drivers..

copacetic wrote:
    he has got your number though.

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭Wossack

C_Breeze wrote:
    That would be better idea, but in an ideal world that's what the Full licence test should be in the first place .... afterall it is an EU licence .. which if you pass, the tester must have confidence that you can handle a BMW M3 on an Autobahn as well as a 1.4 corrolla on the Navan road.

I still find that concept crazy, but you're exactly right. The difference in the standard of the test here, as opposed to france, at least, is crazy... and to think you're as equally qualified in the eyes of the EU?

@OP :: unfortunately these situations wouldnt be solved by advanced training imo, boot them out of 130+ bhp cars, and they'll act the maggot in normal motors (as if that doesnt happen already ;) ). Only solution really is more police and harsher penal system... the proposed learner permit sounds good (1 strike system, right?), as a fair few of em are on l-plates as far as i can see ( :mad: )

C_Breeze wrote:
    Will you give it a rest you tool . I am not a boy racer and I dont go to all those Scroat gatherings at a petrol station, I have better things to do with my life.

So accoprding to you , if i want to drive a TDI GOLf 130 and im under 30 , my full licence is not sufficient and I need to take an ADVANCED driving course?? Ive driven Micras to M3's and was fine , thanks very much

Yawn. I said above 130bhp, but lets not nit pick here, over confidence is a serious problem on the road and your displaying that very well. The super driver that you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Breeze Its gob****es like you that give boy racers a bad name. A high powered car in my opinion is anything over 130bhp.
    Thats rubbish, 130bhp is not high powered. If you had to do an advanced driving course for over 130bhp, id have to do one to drive a Renault Traffic van for work. Bhp does not necessairly mean a fast vechicle.

Wossack wrote:
    I still find that concept crazy, but you're exactly right. The difference in the standard of the test here, as opposed to france, at least, is crazy... and to think you're as equally qualified in the eyes of the EU?

@OP :: unfortunately these situations wouldnt be solved by advanced training imo, boot them out of 130+ bhp cars, and they'll act the maggot in normal motors (as if that doesnt happen already ;) ). Only solution really is more police and harsher penal system... the proposed learner permit sounds good (1 strike system, right?), as a fair few of em are on l-plates as far as i can see ( :mad: )

Perfect point, my thoughts exactly.

Sundy wrote:
    Thats rubbish, 130bhp is not high powered. If you had to do an advanced driving course for over 130bhp, id have to do one to drive a Renault Traffic van for work. Bhp does not necessairly mean a fast vechicle.

Since when is a van a car. FFS. Lets not go through the whole list of manufacturers here, IMO, if you want to drive a high powered car there should be a special licence that is required, insurers know what is regarded as a high powered car, either that or the car is restricted in some way in the way a bike is restricted until the licence is acquired.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭omega man

Sundy wrote:

It is high powered in the hands of a novice inexperienced driver. Most insurance companies look at anything with a 0-60 time sub 10 seconds as a high powered vechicle. That accounts for power to weight distribution and will obviously discount high engine powered large vechicles such as vans etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭phill106

I'm all for people doing what they want to their cars, putting a V12 in a mini etc, but I think their should be a compulsory advanced driver training course for anyone under 30 years who wants to purchase and insure a high powered car.
    Not to nitpick here, but messers come in all ages. By your reasoning a 30 year old person who just got their first provisional would be fine to drive some high hp car, buy poor little me who has been driving for 11 years with no claims would need to do an additional test? Intresting...

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

Sundy wrote:

Very true. And the opposite is true in certain cases as well. It's possible for a 1.3 Fiesta to do 100mph (160km/h) given a long enough road, yet they're only around 65BHP. And I'd rather do 100mph in a GTI than a Fiesta cos I know the stopping distance is much better in a "high powered car". Just because there's a lot of power available it doesn't mean you're more likely to speed. If you're going to drive at a dangerous speed, you're going to do it regardless of your car.

As an aside Breeze, you're not coming across the best in your posts - and if you're not giving us any reason to believe you did well in English, why should we believe you don't need an advanced driving course?

Ya your nit picking and according to the stats the majority are between the ages of 17 - 30 or 25 whatever the case or age maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,342 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Handbags down, ladies, or I'll get the stick out...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Where are the moderators to cut out the abuse thrown around by this guy hashslinging?

The keys point here is " think the accident last night was related to this", well find out for sure or else edit the original post.

As for the whole high performance under 30 thing, my first car was a mk2 crx sir, 160bhp at 17 and I never had an accident in it. Im going on 10 years without an accident now and have never dipped under 130bhp with my cars. My current car has 360whp after the latest map and at 27 I have no problems controlling it thank you very much.

I would be more concerned with making sure all the provisional drivers get full licences aqlong with the 40 year old plus people who have a full licence but never even did a test in the first place.

Also remember op that less than 20% of accidents on the road involve people between 17-25, about 20% of that again are modified car drivers, less than 4% of all drivers who crash are modified car drivers. Now compare that with drink driving, 30% of all accidents involve drink. There are bigger issues out there than complaining about loud exhausts.

cpoh1 wrote:
    Where are the moderators to cut out the abuse thrown around by this guy hashslinging?

The keys point here is " think the accident last night was related to this", well find out for sure or else edit the original post.

As for the whole high performance under 30 thing, my first car was a mk2 crx sir, 160bhp at 17 and I never had an accident in it. Im going on 10 years without an accident now and have never dipped under 130bhp with my cars. My current car has 360whp after the latest map and at 27 I have no problems controlling it thank you very much.

I would be more concerned with making sure all the provisional drivers get full licences aqlong with the 40 year old plus people who have a full licence but never even did a test in the first place.

Also remember op that less than 20% of accidents on the road involve people between 17-25, about 20% of that again are modified car drivers, less than 4% of all drivers who crash are modified car drivers. Now compare that with drink driving, 30% of all accidents involve drink. There are bigger issues out there than complaining about loud exhausts.

it was a 2 way thing and unkel has just been on with a warning, what are you looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Very true. And the opposite is true in certain cases as well. It's possible for a 1.3 Fiesta to do 100mph (160km/h) given a long enough road, yet they're only around 65BHP. And I'd rather do 100mph in a GTI than a Fiesta cos I know the stopping distance is much better in a "high powered car". Just because there's a lot of power available it doesn't mean you're more likely to speed. If you're going to drive at a dangerous speed, you're going to do it regardless of your car.

I think your spot on here, its not the power of the car that counts really it how fast and how well its being driven. I cant say for sure but i suspect that most road deaths occur in cars under 130bhp.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,342 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

cpoh1 wrote:
    Where are the moderators to cut out the abuse

You can help bring it to our attention by clicking on the "Report Bad Post" button on the bottom left of every post

copacetic wrote:
    it was a 2 way thing and unkel has just been on with a warning, what are you looking for?

How exactly was it a 2 way thing when I was called a "tosser" first?.. Compeltely unprovoked and uncalled for.

And you have yet to clarify how "he has my number"

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Getting back on message here. The OP was right in saying that wicklow has more than its fair share of boy racers.

What I find is that many of them dont even leave wicklow town.
    With the occasional check point coming into the town or on the N11
    These people seem happy to bomb around the narrow streets & estates of the town....

I dont know if much can be done about it. Young men like speed/noise/power.
    Driver education and law enforcement play a part but Its the personal responsibility of these guys to use them in a controlled fashion.

I dont care how ugly they look, just keep the noise down.
    And stop playing "scooter" on your stereo... :D

C_Breeze wrote:
    How exactly was it a 2 way thing when I was called a "tosser" first?.. Compeltely unprovoked and uncalled for.

And you have yet to clarify how "he has my number"

:mad:

the two way bit is where you used personal abuse back at him, in post 12 which you just edited to look like it wasn't a 2 way thing.

he has your number because he was the correct opinion of you.

copacetic wrote:
    the two way bit is where you used personal abuse back at him, in post 12 which you just edited to look like it wasn't a 2 way thing.

he has your number because he was the correct opinion of you.

... yeah well he started it :D

Look im not getting into this any further, I feel my that point was made. Wossack also made a valid point similar to mine.

Hashslingin just had a rant coupled with the crazy idea of a pre 30 advance driving course conjoured up by his imagination - which instead of backing up, he chose to throw an unprovoked personal insult at me and presumed i was a "boy racer"

self explanitory really

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

C_Breeze wrote:
    ... yeah well he started it :D

Look im not getting into this any further, I feel my that point was made. Wossack also made a valid point similar to mine.

Hashslingin just had a rant coupled with the crazy idea of a pre 30 advance driving course conjoured up by his imagination - which instead of backing up, he chose to throw an unprovoked personal insult at me and presumed i was a "boy racer"

self explanitory really
    Come on. Have you read your posts? Not just this thread, but in general. I am not saying you are, but your posts tend to give the impression that you are a bit of an arrogant prick.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

and your a tosser BTW.

Banned from Motors for a week for personal abuse.
    PM me or a motors mod for access when your time is up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement