Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

RTE News Last Night Tailgating

Options
  • 13-06-2007 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭

I do not wish to comment on this case but the coverage of a court case on a crash in monaghan broadcast on RTE news last night featured a shocking case of tailgating by an articulated lorry.
    you can watch the video on this link, the incident happens after approx 24 seconds.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yeah, I saw that too .. shocking, and I commented to the missus at the time when I saw it.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

some quality tailgating alright.
    i wonder if you reported it to the guards could they get the number off the lorry from the tapes. it's so close it'd be difficult but can probably get it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

thought i was seeing things myself, i wonder would it be possible to report that.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

Well spotted. That's seriously close - and they weren't exactly traveling slow either.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,342 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yes I spotted it too last night on the news. I know the road well, it is dangerous enough when everybody is at their best behaviour :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

Ya I spotted it last night. couldnt believe it. Also yesterday afternoon when showing the M50 in a report a car pulls from the fast lane into the slow lane barely making it in front of a lorry, very dangerous and no indicator. Also I have noticed that no one seems to use their indicators anymore esp at roundabouts, it really annoys me, esp people taking the 1st and 3rd exits and not a sign to anybody, Merc drivers seem to be the worst for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Alun wrote:
    Yeah, I saw that too .. shocking, and I commented to the missus at the time when I saw it.

Done the exact same thing myself and was also wondering if the gardai could prosecute based on that video evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

dodgyme wrote:
    Also I have noticed that no one seems to use their indicators anymore esp at roundabouts, it really annoys me, esp people taking the 1st and 3rd exits and not a sign to anybody, Merc drivers seem to be the worst for it.

This kind of comment is hillarious! how do you figure that Merc drivers are the worst culprits for not signalling at roundabouts?!!! A few weeks ago on this forum someone was trying to say that foreign reg BMW's were the worst culprits for not signalling at a particular roundabout in limerick... tis funny statement to make.

tis funny statement to make.

I know, its called generalising.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Just saw video. That's shockingly close and monumentally stupid driving by the lorry driver.

I hope action is taken against him/her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Alun wrote:
    I did the same but she wasn't particularly interested!

dodgyme wrote:
    Also yesterday afternoon when showing the M50 in a report a car pulls from the fast lane into the slow lane ... ...it really annoys me
    It's almost as annoying as referring to motorway lanes as 'fast' and 'slow'! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭nailik

Maybe the car was towing the truck?

I did the same but she wasn't particularly interested!

It's almost as annoying as referring to motorway lanes as 'fast' and 'slow'! :)
    I'd say if you did a survey 9 outta 10 people would call them the fast and slow lane. Oh we must change the common usage to accomodate the 1 in 10?? dont think so. When your trying to be articulate, the best way is to use language that the majority use?

dodgyme wrote:
    I know, its called generalising.

Ah right ..... thanks for letting me know. So why would you generalise in an attempt to make a point?
    dodgyme wrote:
    When your trying to be articulate, the best way is to use language that the majority use?

No, it's best to use the correct terms.

Ah right ..... thanks for letting me know. So why would you generalise in an attempt to make a point? .

Your point being?
    No, it's best to use the correct terms.

No its best to be understood.

dodgyme wrote:
    Your point being?

I wasn't making a point. I was asking a question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DeBeere

dodgyme wrote:
    When your trying to be articulate, the best way is to use language that the majority use?

A lot of people use 'text speak' these days, still doesn't make it the best way to communicate...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

nailik wrote:
    Maybe the car was towing the truck?

hmmmmmmm yes i thought of that but if a honda cr-v or a freelander (Not sure which it is !) could tow an artic that quickly it should be a news article of its own!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thats gas I was wondering if anyone noticed this. Fecker should be reported

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

dodgyme wrote:
    I'd say if you did a survey 9 outta 10 people would call them the fast and slow lane.

And thats the very reason why 9 out of 10 people dont know how to use them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

dodgyme wrote:
    I'd say if you did a survey 9 outta 10 people would call them the fast and slow lane. Oh we must change the common usage to accomodate the 1 in 10?? dont think so. When your trying to be articulate, the best way is to use language that the majority use?
    If the two terms had the same meaning, then you would be right. The problem with "fast/slow lane" is that it perpetuates the impression that this is what they are. Language is important, it shapes how we see things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

... and back to the thread at hand. How do you go about reporting a clip like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭cavanmaniac

A two pronged approach of education and reinforcement is what we're sadly lacking in this country to deal with idiot drivers on the road.

You'd think drink driving and speeding were the only two contributory factors to accidents on our roads in this country the way the media is obsessed with them. It's a good thing they are being highlighted of course but stuff like tailgating, slow driving and holding up lines of cars, nervous drivers jamming on the brakes every time they approach a corner or meet a car irrespective of road or conditions, dangerous overtaking, cutting in and a whole host of other common practices are just as dangerous and should be highlighted as well.

Then the cops should come down heavy on it instead of only focusing on excessive speeds in 50km zones on dual carriageways or just breathalysing alone. But that might be too much like a sensible approach.

xabi wrote:
    And thats the very reason why 9 out of 10 people dont know how to use them!

that doesnt make any sense! Please make sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Dr. Seuss

gucci wrote:
    I do not wish to comment on this case but the coverage of a court case on a crash in monaghan broadcast on RTE news last night featured a shocking case of tailgating by an articulated lorry.
    you can watch the video on this link, the incident happens after approx 24 seconds.
    That's not a video link. It's just an RTE news story. WTF?

Dr. Seuss wrote:
    That's not a video link. It's just an RTE news story. WTF?

Just under the headline 'Woman avoids jail after fatal Monaghan crash' there's a picture of a video camera (beside date) ... click on that and bob's yer uncle. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

dodgyme wrote:
    that doesnt make any sense! Please make sense.

9 out of 10 people dont know how to use them (motorways)

X.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm not sure if it would be possible to prosecute based on that clip alone. The truck driver could make up any number of excuses - the car suddenly braked before the bend, the car had pulled out in front of him suddenly, and he could claim that he was in the process of slowing down and creating a gap.

xabi wrote:
    9 out of 10 people dont know how to use them (motorways)

X.
    What is this based on. Make some sense now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

The county councils use 'Slow lane' on their signs,between Waterford and New Ross (N25) the single lane splits into two lanes the left lane is indicated as the 'Slow lane' on the warning sign,maybe thats where people get their ideas from?

Also recently seen a sign which said 'slow lane ends'it was actually the hard shoulder that ended,cant remember where,think it was around Birr somewhere.

Advertisement