Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swords Co. Dublin

Options
  • 13-06-2007 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I have left it six months as a IBB rep advised saying that they would be in my area approx this length of time and that the breeze package should be available then aswell as ripwave. This is in my opinion my best bet for BB. Had them before and happy with service at different location. Now it is not as if I am in the sticks but they still are not in my area. Now they say my best option from them is Ripwave Plus. I am a bit sceptical of something like this as I dont reckon it will be feasible. Slow connections etc. Does anyone use Ice Broadband in swords. I rang them up and they say that there are a few on my road who have it. The package I would be interested from them is the Home Broadband € 37.99 per month.

Anyone know if this is a good package and if IBB will ever be in my area..

Frustrating as hell as I cannot afford to have a phone line installed due to my obvious concern of her indoors over usage.

Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭gingerGiant

Hi Git

IBB are in swords and breeze is available in almost all of the town. they have a new (couple of month old afaik)high site on the tulip inn, although some areas like holywell are still not well served due to buildings blocking breeze signal.

If your out of town but within 3.5-4km of tulip as crow flies only way to know if you can get breeze is to get them out to do a signal test.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭git_ireland

Hi Git

IBB are in swords and breeze is available in almost all of the town. they have a new (couple of month old afaik)high site on the tulip inn, although some areas like holywell are still not well served due to buildings blocking breeze signal.

If your out of town but within 3.5-4km of tulip as crow flies only way to know if you can get breeze is to get them out to do a signal test.

Thing is Ginger I am in Applewood and asked them to come out and do a test and they said it would be a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Hody

I am going to move to Sandford Woods near Applewood and would like to avoid getting a landline in. At the moment I am considering either Irish Broadband - but just 1MB DL Speed - Clearwire 2MB but download limit capped or ICE - does somebody has experience with those providers in this area?! Would like to know how reliable there signal strength is...

Ok, git in applewood you should be within range of the tulip but if they said there is no point doing a signal test then they probably have been out there before and could not get signal. This would be usually due to trees or tall buildings blocking the signal. You should look at other houses in the area and see if there are any of their type dishes(ice use same equipment) on them, if there is call ibb and tell them a neighbour has it and they might send someone out. It's worth a try coz sometimes you can get it and next house can't, you can be lucky or unlucky.

@Hody Sandford wood should also be in range if not blocked by trees or buildings. Also afaik ibb no longer do a 1MB package, their 2MB 24:1 unlimited connection is their "smallest" one.

Another option is digiweb but they are also on the tulip so if you cant get ibb, you wont get digiweb.

@Hody Sandford wood should also be in range if not blocked by trees or buildings. Also afaik ibb no longer do a 1MB package, their 2MB 24:1 unlimited connection is their "smallest" one.

Thanks for the information, but IBB told me I could get ripwave or riwave plus with either leaves me to 512k or 1MB download - which would not be really an option. I was aiming for breeze, but was told its not possible to get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭git_ireland

Hody wrote:
    Thanks for the information, but IBB told me I could get ripwave or riwave plus with either leaves me to 512k or 1MB download - which would not be really an option. I was aiming for breeze, but was told its not possible to get it.

Cheers Ginger. Does it cost anything to get them to come out. I also got the same from their website. Ice broadband have it in my area but I have seen a few negative threads about their service. I dont want to get tied to a contract and find out that it is bad.
    I guess I will just have to wait till something else crops up. Anyone know if IBB breeze will be available in the near future?

Cheers Ginger. Does it cost anything to get them to come out. I also got the same from their website. Ice broadband have it in my area but I have seen a few negative threads about their service. I dont want to get tied to a contract and find out that it is bad.
    I guess I will just have to wait till something else crops up. Anyone know if IBB breeze will be available in the near future?

Well, both the website and IBB cs by phone and mail told me, that breeze is not available in the area, so I highly doubt that I could persuade them to come out and make a test.
    My other question is, what cooling off periods appear with each provider and if it is not possible to cancel the contract earlier if the promised service is not working?
    There must be something like consumer rights, and if I am promised a 2Meg connection and I can document that I just less then I should be able to cancel my contract.

Hody wrote:

I wouldn't touch ripwave it's not broadband it's absolutly crap. I was talking about the breeze.

Ibb do free installs so if they come out and it is a fail there is no charge. Also if service is not up to scratch they will send engineer to fix it, if he can't they will either remove it there and then or give you 30 days grace to find a new provider(your choice), this is what they done for me when a new building went up in the L.O.S

I wouldn't touch ripwave it's not broadband it's absolutly crap. I was talking about the breeze.

Ibb do free installs so if they come out and it is a fail there is no charge. Also if service is not up to scratch they will send engineer to fix it, if he can't they will either remove it there and then or give you 30 days grace to find a new provider(your choice), this is what they done for me when a new building went up in the L.O.S

Well I was told there is no breeze on 2 occassions, so I am a bit surprised and worried if I could persuade them to run a test at my new home...

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pedropumpalot

IBB have 3 Breeze and 3 Ripwaves on the roof of the tulip hotel, there are three Ripwave sectors on ESB Swords near Watery Lane and there are 2 Breeze and 2 Ripwave going onto the roof of the new Boroimhe Shopping Centre. :cool:

• Advertisement

IBB have 3 Breeze and 3 Ripwaves on the roof of the tulip hotel, there are three Ripwave sectors on ESB Swords near Watery Lane and there are 2 Breeze and 2 Ripwave going onto the roof of the new Boroimhe Shopping Centre. :cool:

The new house at Sandford Woods is real close to that ESB plant, so why the bloody hell they keep telling me, there is no breeze available?!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It has a fixed maximum capacity. The base may be full. Or sector aerial that does not point your way.

like i already said there are three NAVINI antennas on ESB Swords! No Breeze down that neck of the woods

Well, if IBB do not want me as an customer or dont have the capacities to fit me in, then I have to choose between Clearwire, DigiWeb and ICE and I think that the ICE package with 3MB DL, 1MB UL and no caps for like €30 is the best bargain.

Broadband or mobile phone operators for that matter can't just stick up antennas willy nilly, I know for a fact that ESB Swords Switching has no more room on the tower, its absolutely packed up there. The cost of building a site costs about 100k and I dont think that anybody will pay that much for a site which has the potential for only a few customers, it just doesn't make business sense. Whereabouts in Swords are you located?

We are going to move to Sandford Woods, that´s pretty close to that ESB plant...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Broadband or mobile phone operators for that matter can't just stick up antennas willy nilly, I know for a fact that ESB Swords Switching has no more room on the tower, its absolutely packed up there. The cost of building a site costs about 100k and I dont think that anybody will pay that much for a site which has the potential for only a few customers, it just doesn't make business sense. Whereabouts in Swords are you located?
    An IBB alvarion breeze base station costs 100k??

An IBB alvarion breeze base station costs 100k??
    Yes!

Called IBB again, definitly no Breeze at Sandford Woods in Swords :(

ICE and Digiweb don´t qualify because I am just a tenant and they need to drill holes.

So does anybody has experience with Ripwave Plus or would recommend even a provider that needs a phone line

Advertisement