Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bundle Comparison and Noise issues

Options
  • 13-06-2007 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭

As it says. I can't figure out what the second motherboard has to offer that makes it more expensive than the bundle with the better processor. Any ideas?

1: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=313413
    2: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=311935

I'm planning an upgrade for the PC but I want one which is quiet at a cheap price. The CPU fan in particular. Are boxed fans reasonably quiet, quiet to the point that you couldn't tell if they were on or not?

The stock fan with the PIII 1GHz coppermine is woeful but the position of the cpu on the board makes it impossible to get a bigger heatsink and quieter fan. Hence the upgrade.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Nothing signifcant the 220 bundle just has a different motherboard, functionaility wise is not majorly different than the one in the 210 bundle.

As for noise well the stock cooler isnt great at full speed but if you enable Cool & Quiet it will vary the fan speed when the CPU is idle so it wont generate that much noise.

To enable Cool & Quiet you must first enable C&Q in the bios then install this driver if on XP and set the power scheme in the control panel to minimal power managment. The feature is built into Vista and does not need to be enabled as it is turned on by default.

(Not related to C&Q but you need to install this as well for dual core CPU's under XP)

A custom cooler with it's own fan speed controller if another option as you can force it to run at a lower speed all the time like a Zalman 9500.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Thanks for the reply! With this stupid gateway mboard and it's crippled instrument bus thingy (can't remember the name but it's part of the intel chipset), I can't tell the temp of the cpu and the fan connector on the board stopped working so it's connected directly to a molex connector.

I added 3 diodes to the wire between the fan plug and the molex connector to trim down the voltage but it's still intolerable.

Looks like the upgrade is inevitable.

Advertisement