Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

hatebreed

• 13-06-2007 10:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭

hey all, just wondering what genre are hatebreed?
    i thought they were thrash but a friend described them as post-thrash and another as power metal?
    what do the experts think?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

maxitwist wrote:
    hey all, just wondering what genre are hatebreed?
    i thought they were thrash but a friend described them as post-thrash and another as power metal?
    what do the experts think?!

As an expert, I think genres are merely a rough guide to what a band might sound like, and it's not worth too much effort thinking about. So I generally wouldn't worry about it, but if you want a more definite answer, here we go:

Whoever said they were Power Metal is being ridiculous there, as Power Metal suggests bands along the lines of Blind Guardian, Sonata Arctica, Stratavarius and such like... Very, very far removed to Hatebreed's sound.

I haven't even heard the term "Post-Thrash" before now, but a quick search on wikipedia redirects me to "Groove Metal" which it says is a blend of Hardcore Punk and Thrash, so it's probably a fitting enough description. However, the most common description for a mix of Hardcore and Metal styles would be 'Metalcore' so that's probably the most apt.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

Metalcore, leaning more towards hardcore than metal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Ah the old genre story... Well if you take metalcore in the literal sense then yea, Hatebreed are a combination of Hardcore and Metal however I wouldn't call them metalcore in the modern sense in that Killswitch Engage and As I Lay Dying are.

wow, that makes lots of sense. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 booey

Most certainly metalcore/hardcore. I remember seeing them when i was in high school for $8 at a cancer benefit show in Bensalem, PA along with a bunch of other hardcore bands. Now they are huge and tour ozzfest, good for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭maxitwist

thanks guys...... a mixture of punk and metal is hardcore and a mixture of hardcore and thrash metal is metal core. ok!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

metalcore != metal

Of course, if metalcore was metal it would be called metal. :)

Metalcore is a genre/subgenre which combines elements of both metal and hardcore. At the end of the day though any band which falls into the metalcore genre can arguably still be considered metal, it doesnt mean it's "good metal" or whatever you want to call it but its still metal.

Now, let the flames begin! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

I wouldn't go that far, gizmo. I think it depends entirely on how far they lean to either side. Hatebreed could never be considered metal, for instance, they have far too many hardcore elements. Shadows Fall, on the other hand, could be considered metal because they have more metal than hardcore elements. But a general rule of thumb for me has always been metalcore=yuck. I've yet to find a good one and I've heard a lot of them.

@ Maxitwist: no, a mixture of thrahs and hardcore was originally called crossover. Band like DRI, Stormtrooper of Death etc. were pioneers of this particular sound. Even early Neurosis was a crossover thing. Hardcore punk had little to no help from metal at all, hardcore came from bands like Bad Brains, Minor Threat and Black Flag. As you can see, hardcore was once good ;P Metalcore, as we know it today, comes more from the merging of breakdown laden hardcore and a lot of more heavy metal/ gothenburg melodic death inspired riffs, thrash is rarely an element (Shadows Fall being an exception to the rule).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 booey

"Hardcore punk had little to no help from metal at all, hardcore came from bands like Bad Brains, Minor Threat and Black Flag. As you can see, hardcore was once good ;P Metalcore, as we know it today, comes more from the merging of breakdown laden hardcore"

nailed it, metalcore has some elements of punk influence, but not as much as hardcore. metalcore is full of chug and breakdowns, which is a thumbs down in my book. I give credit to bands like hate breed and throwdown because they have doing it since the 90's and are taseful about it. All the other imitators who sit down a write material with tons of breakdowns and inverted chords really blow. I'm tired of seeing kids playing metalcore, it's annoying.

I wouldn't go that far, gizmo. I think it depends entirely on how far they lean to either side. Hatebreed could never be considered metal, for instance, they have far too many hardcore elements. Shadows Fall, on the other hand, could be considered metal because they have more metal than hardcore elements.
    Well I guess it could come down to my lack of exposure to many Hardcore bands but I just find it hard not to think of Hatebreed as metal when I hear tracks like "Defeatist" and "I Will Be Heard". :o
    But a general rule of thumb for me has always been metalcore=yuck. I've yet to find a good one and I've heard a lot of them.
    Really? Not even the likes of Killswitch Engage, As I Lay Dying, Unearth, Lamb Of God, God Forbid and All That Remains?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

Yep, and that goes especially for KSE and God Forbid. I can't stand these bands. One minute they're shouting about something, trying to be hardcore and heavy and then they're serenading you, playing a melody out of the most cringeworthy hymnsheet in all of In Flames' soundscape. Usually with no attempt to link them into any sort of overall song mood or direction, it just happens. I find myself asking "What are you going for here?" It's hard to articulate that point in words, but it's just one of many. That and I'm quite hungover and words aren't coming to me :o Lamb of God have potential to be good IMO, but they seem to just go in one ear and out the other for me, nothing they do seems to interest me at all. I just get that "where have I heard this before?" feeling when I hear them. Unearth are just boring, and although they are certainly one of the better ones, all their songs sound similar and their vocals are very single track, as well as suffering from ditch-the-riff-go-for-the-breakdown syndrome. All That Remains make me cringe with their overt teeny bopper bastardisation of At The Gates stylings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Hatebreed. Well, as pointless as genres can be, Hatebreed probably sound a bit metal a lot of the time, but their lyrics swing it. They're a hardcore band. I personally think they're a terribly, terribly bad band. But yeah. They're "Straight-edge in yo' ****in' face" etc. A lot of their lyrics seem to center around being straightedge and all that lark...which is definitely a hardcore punk thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Hatebreed arent straight edge. Most would call HB Moshcore but to be simpler they are metal core. Amazing band. None of hatebreeds lyrics are about being straightedge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I'm not going to be drawn into what genre they are as I think labelling metal subgenre's is pretty futile seeing as someone will always be there to disagree, but I will add that Hatebreed have a lot of straight edge fans. Hell, I felt out of place at a Hatebreed gig, as I didnt have an X on my hands!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Angus MacGyver

Im with Nightwish on this one, they have got an awful lot of straight edge fans. Theyre a Hardcore band, but a good one at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

You arent thinking of Throwdown are you? similar style of music but straight edge orientated

Advertisement