Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a 360

• 13-06-2007 11:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭

Hey guys at the end of the Summer I'll finally be biting the bullet and buying a 360 in Dublin. With the reliability of these things clearly in question I was wondering people's advice on where I should buy one. I hear game have a €35 extended warranty which sounds pretty good. Are the manufacturing flaws still being found in current batches? Is it possible to make sure I'm buying a console from a new batch rather than the old one?

Any advice about packages too would be great. Am thinking a premium with a few games.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

Can someone please explain to me what the hell an extended warranty is about?

I thought we have consumer rights in this country with regard to electronics?

My 360 started giving trouble after about 8 months. Brought it back to HMV and they switched it then and there. No messing around.

"Got your receipt?"

"yes"

"here's your new xbox"

The End.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Extended warranty is one of the biggest shams of a mockery of two travesties of a sham going. It's a way for certain companies (not mentioning them by name, but we know who they are - and three of them are from the same UK parent chain *hint*)

It's a way to scam an extra 30-100 Euro from an unsuspecting customer (usually a mum or dad buying a gizmo for their child, but others fall for it, too) for something they're already covered for anyway. Your consumer rights should often cover you for the period covered by 'extended warranty' - e.g. if you get the three rings of death on your xbox after 3 months, it's not fit for the purpose for which it was sold.

I know the BBC did a show on this before (I think it was on Watchdog a couple of years back), about how it's a rip-off and I think staff even get a commission if they sell a certain amount of extended warranty (but I'm open to correction on that).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Many of the issues relate to overheating though in newer models it seems at though Microsoft are attempting to correct the problem. More info can be found here:

http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EElEZukFEleqkRrcnN.php

Advertisement