Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soldering Iron

Options
  • 13-06-2007 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭

Sorry, probably not the most appropriate forum for this but...

I'm looking for a 9v AC 1a transformer and am looking to buy my first soldering iron (And maybe one of those 3rd hand/magnifying yokes) for working on PCBs and kits. Am I better off buying online or in Dublin and what would you guys recommend?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

If i remember correctly peats and maplins sell all fo the kit your looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Anti wrote:
    If i remember correctly peats and maplins sell all fo the kit your looking for.

But would I be far better off buying online in terms of price. Also, what would be a good soldering iron to get - I know absolutely nothing about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

All the stuff i have bought has been made by weller, its nice and cheap and of great quality. I could never find a decent seller in the uk so i ordered from the us.

http://www.action-electronics.com/weller.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

Weller make great stuff alright, but I've had an Antex XS25 for years and it's great. Not too expensive and the tips are easily available for a few quid in Peats or Maplin so no waiting around for mail order... There are smaller ones too, if you're purely doing PCB work then I'd recommend an Antex CS18 (I think they're called). 18W mains iron, tips easily got and comes with a fine tip out of the box. Shouldn't cost you more than a few pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭darcy07

They sell weller in mcquillan tools in blanchardstown shopping centre.

their soldering irons are fairly cheap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Weller make great stuff alright, but I've had an Antex XS25 for years and it's great. Not too expensive and the tips are easily available for a few quid in Peats or Maplin so no waiting around for mail order... There are smaller ones too, if you're purely doing PCB work then I'd recommend an Antex CS18 (I think they're called). 18W mains iron, tips easily got and comes with a fine tip out of the box. Shouldn't cost you more than a few pints.

Nice one. Do maplin stock them (the branch inside on parnell street) - I can't see it on the website.

Advertisement