Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Maths....ARGH

Options
  • 13-06-2007 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

I know its a a good bit away..but i am totally screwed.:eek:

Any body have any ideas what would be best to look over in the coming days? :(

And what questions are usualy the best to do? :confused:

Please somebody help me!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I have to ask firstly, why are you doing it if you find it hard?

You should have 6 strong questions by now and at least one backup you know fairly well...

You've a good bit of time, so if you're good at maths you should be able to learn 6 questions by Friday week. I'd say do 1-5 and 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

I haven't looked at this subject in aaaaaages. crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

well you've got just over a week!! 1-4, 6 and 10 are lovely and easy and 5 is a nice back up

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Turnip2000

Ye loking back over the papers today nd dey wud hav ta be my "Better" questions.

I just hope that the A parts will be harmless so i can come out with some dignity!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

You should be able to get a B1 without doing any really tricky maths. They are marked very easily and provided you've a head on you're shoulders and approach the questions methodically, you can get the majority of marks without the answers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Very true. You can get an A1 without any correct answers as long as you work logically, lay it out in an easy way to mark for the examiner and don't make any huge theoretical mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

JC 2K3 wrote:

You should have 6 strong questions by now and at least one backup you know fairly well...

You've a good bit of time, so if you're good at maths you should be able to learn 6 questions by Friday week. I'd say do 1-5 and 10.

I don't post on the leaving cert board often. I do, however, read most threads and I find you so demeaning.

Rojo wrote:
    I don't post on the leaving cert board often. I do, however, read most threads and I find you so demeaning.
    ah no leave him off he's not as bad as smemon from last year!

haha, what happened to that guys leaving cert website?

Nehpets wrote:
    pfft. was just another slogan for saying "LOOK AT ME!!!"

• Advertisement

Nehpets wrote:

Say what now?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Roonels

First and foremost....app maths is such a cool subject! between us applied maths people!...how cool is it when sum1 says....'omg:eek: you do applied maths' ha love it:p but on the study side of things....plenty time...my advice is get the solutions from the net....find out where the marks are allocated and off ya go, just stay calm and one question at a time. i would start with ten, its pretty short and part A is a give away(if you have learnt them!:rolleyes: ) godspeed people!

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭kisaragi

Roonels wrote:
    First and foremost....app maths is such a cool subject! between us applied maths people!...how cool is it when sum1 says....'omg:eek: you do applied maths' ha love it:p but on the study side of things....plenty time...my advice is get the solutions from the net....find out where the marks are allocated and off ya go, just stay calm and one question at a time. i would start with ten, its pretty short and part A is a give away(if you have learnt them!:rolleyes: ) godspeed people!

Hahaha yeah that's pretty funny... You do app maths.. you MUST be a genius :rolleyes:

Actually I hate applied maths with a passion... I took it because I was good at maths but I never really worked that hard for it... I figure that after these 2 years of doing it I won't even count it haha... Unless something changes drastically when I sit down to do the paper hehe. I'm sure I can get a B anyway if I practice, but I probably won't practice haha. The problem is that if you don't get a B part you basically lose 30 marks... like if you completely blank.

Anyway I'll be doing 1,3,4,5 and then picking another two from either 2,6,7 or 10

kisaragi wrote:
    Hahaha yeah that's pretty funny... You do app maths.. you MUST be a genius :rolleyes:

Actually I hate applied maths with a passion... I took it because I was good at maths but I never really worked that hard for it... I figure that after these 2 years of doing it I won't even count it haha... Unless something changes drastically when I sit down to do the paper hehe. I'm sure I can get a B anyway if I practice, but I probably won't practice haha. The problem is that if you don't get a B part you basically lose 30 marks... like if you completely blank.

without fail every1 says it like! ah no its pretty handy for me, i did the same...chose it cause i was good at maths...then discovered there was going to be two of us in the class for 2 years:D ...so i was delighted!...i like it though cause that feeling....when you get a really long question solved...best feeling ever!....so many nights i have gotten out a question and just said 'well i think thats enough for one night!:rolleyes: ' id hate to do another question and probably get it wrong....so i leave on a high point!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

Rojo wrote:

I completely agree with you Rojo. He is quite demeaning in his language and almost tries to get across a Patronising tone. Most of his comments are quite cynical and can be quite condescending to many other members. Some of his comments should be kept to himself. If you have nothing good to say JC, don't say anything at all. Following that philosophy, you would never post on boards.

On a side-note 1,2,3,4,5 are the "easiest" over the years according to the vast majority and if you're starting afresh nearly, you should consider those options with utmost certainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

Lucas10101 wrote:
    I completely agree with you Rojo. He is quite demeaning in his language and almost tries to get across a Patronising tone. Most of his comments are quite cynical and can be quite condescending to many other members. Some of his comments should be kept to himself. If you have nothing good to say JC, don't say anything at all. Following that philosophy, you would never post on boards.

At least someone agrees with me! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

Rojo wrote:
    At least someone agrees with me! :)

I'm sure 99.999% of Boardsters would agree here only they might be afraid of being attacked by his acidic tongue and brute language.:rolleyes:

Lucas10101 wrote:
    I'm sure 99.999% of Boardsters would agree here only they might be afraid of being attacked by his acidic tongue and brute language.:rolleyes:

True dat!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

Lucas10101 wrote:

It's kind of ironic then that while he made one post which was actually helpful you spammed the thread up and went way off-topic...

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭kisaragi

Roonels wrote:
    without fail every1 says it like! ah no its pretty handy for me, i did the same...chose it cause i was good at maths...then discovered there was going to be two of us in the class for 2 years:D ...so i was delighted!...i like it though cause that feeling....when you get a really long question solved...best feeling ever!....so many nights i have gotten out a question and just said 'well i think thats enough for one night!:rolleyes: ' id hate to do another question and probably get it wrong....so i leave on a high point!:D

2 of you in the class? That's pretty cool, there's 2 in my Spanish class and it's great!

And yeah! That feeling is great! I found that for the first few months I almost never got questions out haha, it got better with time though :)

• Advertisement

kisaragi wrote:
    And yeah! That feeling is great! I found that for the first few months I almost never got questions out haha, it got better with time though :)

Haha..same wit myself..i've only recently coped on how to resolve the angles? It was always a 50/50 guess till then!:p

But thats just me..im special at the subject:D

I'm just hoping for a C or more. I like the subject though, but don't need anymore than that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I cant believe some of what I'm reading here. Q6 is a nice question????????
    Its a bitch of a question most years IMO. Q1 is lovely. Q2 is usually nice. Can be tricky some years. 2004 question was a beauty. 2005 was not.Q3 and 4(4 especially) are for the most part lovely. 5 part b is a bitch, though part a) is grand most of the time. And Q 10 is a dream come true 99% of the time, except for the 2001 Question. Every other year its a beautiful question. Same goes for Q6. I love the years when they ask you to show that the question is describing SHM or they get you to do something straightforward with the 5 formulae you're supposed to know.

As for marks they changed the Chief Examiner in 2005, and by God did he make his mark. I pity anyone who did Applied Maths that year. 2006 was better, but if they throw out a paper like the one in 2004 I'll be over the moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

my advice is to read the chief examinaers reports available on www.examinations.ie i think there really handy, lets you know how there marked and any recommendations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Richard W

Turnip2000 wrote:
    I know its a a good bit away..but i am totally screwed.:eek:

Any body have any ideas what would be best to look over in the coming days? :(

And what questions are usualy the best to do? :confused:

Please somebody help me!

If I recall correctly, something like 80% of the marks go towards the set up of the system, i.e. writing out equations of motion etc. I got an A1 two years ago, with only being able to get two questions fully out. The rest I only got half out, and screwed up along the way. For this approach go for your collisions questions, if you can set them up easily enough, you've got a huge amount of the marks. If you think you'll be stuck for time, leave a question, and go set up another one, and come back to the first at some other point.
    JC 2K3 wrote:

That's just not helpful at all. Most people doing applied maths will find it hard. Most leaving subjects are hard anyway, as the majority of them require a hefty amount of work. There's no need to post stuff like that up.

can any1 remember how long it took them to get a question 100% complete....personally it took me about 2-3 months i think:eek: but my god wat a feeling!:D :D brought me straight back from the brink of madness!!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Applied Maths is two subjects. There is the Physics part and the Maths part. The Physics part of the exam is usually what has to be done first. The bulk of the marks are for doing Physics. So in Question 4, most of the marks are given for drawing the free body diagrams. And another nice chunk of marks are for writing up the simultaneous equations. Which is fairness more Physics. Theres not a lot for doing Maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Richard W wrote:
    That's just not helpful at all. Most people doing applied maths will find it hard. Most leaving subjects are hard anyway, as the majority of them require a hefty amount of work. There's no need to post stuff like that up.
    Applied Maths is entirely optional in 99% of cases, is usually only undertaken by those with a good understanding of and interest in maths and if it was really necessary to the OP for points he'd know what questions and be at least somewhat prepared by now.

In any case, to defend myself.

I am cynical, I don't pretend to feel sorry for people who get themselves into a mess with regards the LC and moan about it. If you have a problem with that then ignore what I write, however, you might miss out on some helpful advice. I mightn't sound overtly "nice" in some posts, but I sure as hell do give advice and am rather helpful most of the time.

Something I have an issue with is people who seem to dislike me because I sometimes project an image of doing well, not being under so much stress and not finding the LC too difficult. Why is it OK for people to constantly moan about how **** it is and not for me to voice my opinion on it not being all that bad? Double standards much?

To be fair to JC 2K3, he has helped a lot of people with maths and typed it up which is the most annoying thing ever imo. (well maybe not ever but you get the idea)

• Advertisement

Nehpets wrote:
    To be fair to JC 2K3, he has helped a lot of people with maths and typed it up which is the most annoying thing ever imo. (well maybe not ever but you get the idea)
    Hmm indeed I've found his maths posts helpful.

Advertisement