Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Maths....ARGH

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

Gangsta wrote:
    Hmm indeed I've found his maths posts helpful.

As have I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Shox

yup witout applied maths posts from JC2K3, ZorbatehZ an Cocoa too, id be screwed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Applied Maths is entirely optional in 99% of cases, is usually only undertaken by those with a good understanding of and interest in maths and if it was really necessary to the OP for points he'd know what questions and be at least somewhat prepared by now.

In any case, to defend myself.

I am cynical, I don't pretend to feel sorry for people who get themselves into a mess with regards the LC and moan about it. If you have a problem with that then ignore what I write, however, you might miss out on some helpful advice. I mightn't sound overtly "nice" in some posts, but I sure as hell do give advice and am rather helpful most of the time.

Something I have an issue with is people who seem to dislike me because I sometimes project an image of doing well, not being under so much stress and not finding the LC too difficult. Why is it OK for people to constantly moan about how **** it is and not for me to voice my opinion on it not being all that bad? Double standards much?

Omgz teh Ego!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭elefant

I don't do the subject, but i know of a guy who left my school 2 years ago who did it, and he got an A1 despite only getting one answer correct. He just kept working away with the calculator and really awkward numbers! So i guess that's some advice:

No matter how wrong you think it is, keep doing it until the end

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭theliam

hmmm, i really wish i chose geography instead of applied maths. i should get by ok i supose. however, i think it is one of the most satisfying subjects when you do get going at it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Turnip2000

theliam wrote:
    hmmm, i really wish i chose geography instead of applied maths. i should get by ok i supose. however, i think it is one of the most satisfying subjects when you do get going at it

I totally agree...geography would have been the easy way out. But im still happy with my choice even f im not going to do very well......:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Turnip2000 wrote:
    I totally agree...geography would have been the easy way out. But im still happy with my choice even f im not going to do very well......:cool:

That's a ridiculous thing to say, why would you be happy with your choice if your not going to do well?

Surely the point of the leaving cert (unfortunately) is to compile as much points as possible to get your course?

Are you saying you'd be happy with your choice if you miss out on your course by 5 points just because you enjoyed it? Oh pallease:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Turnip2000

That's a ridiculous thing to say, why would you be happy with your choice if your not going to do well?

Surely the point of the leaving cert (unfortunately) is to compile as much points as possible to get your course?

Are you saying you'd be happy with your choice if you miss out on your course by 5 points just because you enjoyed it? Oh pallease:rolleyes:

Yes weathercheck! that is exactly what im saying:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Not everyone is a pointswhore

Yes I said it. It's out there now. No I can't take it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Roonels

Nehpets wrote:

whupish!!! (thats a whip sound!) :D:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Cipriana

Is anyone doing the differential equation question? Also how likely are theorems to come up? I know I got definitions in the mock, but they were easy enough to make up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Nehpets wrote:
    Indeed, but proclaiming you're screwed and that geography would have been the "easy way out" kind of implies it.

Cipriana wrote:
    Is anyone doing the differential equation question? Also how likely are theorems to come up? I know I got definitions in the mock, but they were easy enough to make up.
    Is anyone not doing Diff Equations? That question is almost giving away marks!

Are there theorums in Q 1-5 or 10? Don't think there are, they're what I'm doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

I find it hard to believe nobody is doing Q9, it can be really handy and was piss easy when I did it 2 years ago. I always think Q10 is a good one to start with because I reckon it's the easiest. Good luck!

Q9 is my backup ;)

Although I hate statics(Q7), and sometimes hydrostatics requires you know how to do statics questions, which is annoying....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Q9 is my backup ;)

Although I hate statics(Q7), and sometimes hydrostatics requires you know how to do statics questions, which is annoying....

Hah so did I, I never really bothered covering statics cos didn't like it but hydrostatics is grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

timmywex wrote:
    my advice is to read the chief examinaers reports available on www.examinations.ie i think there really handy, lets you know how there marked and any recommendations

Its interesting alright, although the most recent one is from 2004.. which is before this new chief examiner!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Ive never ever seen or attempted a statics question and I am definitely doing the hydrostatics... The first thing Ill do is look at Calculus, SHM, Hydrostatics and MOI. Do my favoured 3 from those, and pick 3 out of ALM, NL, IAC and Projectiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

My big problem when doing App. Maths questions is that when I do a particularly tricky one I rush into and get excited when it starts becoming clear and then usually do something stupid in my algebra leading to my conclusion that the question is very difficult. Then I can wake up at like 7 in the morning and get it out in 5 mins. I suppose your really in control of what you do.

If I where you I'd do 1-4, 10 and maybe 5 or some inertia question. Anybody find hydrostatics confusing? My brain refuses to hold an understanding of it from one question to the next!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I'd steer away from linear motion... it all appears hunky dory and then they can throw in some quite dirty stuff.

I'm doing 6 of: projectiles, rel vel, diff eqns,collisions, pulleys and wedges, circular and SHM and moments of inertia.

Anyone else do that mock paper in the institute? it had the one with the definitions of angle and coefficient of friction on it?

• Advertisement

alan4cult wrote:
    My big problem when doing App. Maths questions is that when I do a particularly tricky one I rush into and get excited when it starts becoming clear and then usually do something stupid in my algebra leading to my conclusion that the question is very difficult. Then I can wake up at like 7 in the morning and get it out in 5 mins. I suppose your really in control of what you do.
    Thing is, you'll get at least 80-85% that way anyway...

The final maths is usually ony worth 10-15 marks per question.
    jmccrohan wrote:
    I'd steer away from linear motion... it all appears hunky dory and then they can throw in some quite dirty stuff.
    But you can't steer in linear motion ;)

Thing is, the last few years have been so easy that the chances of them giving something ridiculously hard are very slim.

I don't think I've ever seen a very hard linear motion question in any case...
    jmccrohan wrote:
    Anyone else do that mock paper in the institute? it had the one with the definitions of angle and coefficient of friction on it?
    Yeah I did that one, but did 1-5 and 10, so no definitions for me. I got 83%, but had I studied Rel Vel better and not misread the question and also not made a stupid oversimplifying mistake in Q4 I'd have gotten the A1. That paper was píss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Definition of Archimedes Principle for Q9 came up on two mock papers I saw. I would have scrapped the C if I bothered to answer it, stupid me :D

Hehe.

Definitions haven't come up in the real thing since the 90s though AFAIK....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

In JC2K3's defence, his sig carries a caveat :\

And I thoroughly agree with him. I don't understand why somebody would choose/continue a subject they didn't like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Feddd

Hydrostatics really depends on the teacher and they way it is thought. I am repeating this year and for the last 2 years I could NOT get hydrostatics, and then this year the teacher made a slight change to the way he thought it and now its my best question.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LeperKing

Don't do what I did, and go out the night before! :rolleyes:

More seriously, don't try to do all the questions either. I spread myself too thin with that approach.

LK

Feddd wrote:
    Hydrostatics really depends on the teacher and they way it is thought. I am repeating this year and for the last 2 years I could NOT get hydrostatics, and then this year the teacher made a slight change to the way he thought it and now its my best question.
    I don't have a teacher and I understand it well enough ;)

</ego>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Does anyone reckon this year's paper will be easy enough because the last two years have been tough enough in parts and also maths was considered easy this year?

What was especially tough about the last two years?

If we get anything like the last two years it'll be a blessing - compare them to papers from the 80s and 90s!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭fuinneamh

Hoping that an easy 7 and 8 come up, statics can be very handy if the right thing comes up. But at least i have the comfort that if i do badlyi've two classes of my course done for next year.

Advertisement