Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astounding Universe picture taken by Hubble

Options
  • 13-06-2007 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

Check this out.. The mother of all pictures taken by the Hubble Space Telescope (Try viewing the 4.42MB version first and read the tips/warnings if you want to download one of the full resolution versions)

http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive/releases/2007/06/image/c/warn/
    (Couple of months old so some of you may have seen it before!)

This image shows the tiny sliver of sky which the above linked image depicts:

web_print.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Scary is'nt it? Just when you think you have an idea how many light-emiting celestial object there are you see you're out by a factor of 100 or so!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

... ...that's impressive to think of alright. It's hard to comprehend just how many galaxies are out there. ... ...and then - oh God - think of how many stars are in each of those galaxies.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Kevster wrote:
    ... ...that's impressive to think of alright. It's hard to comprehend just how many galaxies are out there. ... ...and then - oh God - think of how many stars are in each of those galaxies.

My God. Its full of stars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

"Been there, been there, been there, don't want to go there, been there..."

... ...You've been to these different galaxies? :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

some of you will have seen this video version:
    (ignore silly middle piece)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3020803111770641453

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Kevster wrote:
    ... ...You've been to these different galaxies? :cool:

Yup, sure I was in the Horsehead nebula there a few days back, weather wasn't great though.

I just saw the warnings for the pics, 5600 X 40000 resolution? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

make you think there must be life out there

Indeed. I always say: The chances of life forming on a remote rock orbiting a star are truly astronomical... ...HOWEVER, there are an astronomical amount of remote rocks orbiting stars out there.

:)

Advertisement