Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some help with a PC work bench pls! (static)

Options
  • 13-06-2007 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

alright lads

Im supervising our maintanance room upgrade here in the office. We are getting some carpenters in to make a new bench for better space relations and for a more productive and safer work enviroment..

We have the layout and stuff sorted, designated areas for cds/cards/memory and a monitor hooked up to a 10 port KVM switch. However we need to get some sort of static control...

I've been looking for anti-static mats around the net, and they all seem to come as floor mats or in very small areas - 20"x20" and so on. Does anyone know where we can get an anti-static surface that measures a good 10 foot x 5? Can we just rubber coat the surface? I know timber isnt really a great conductor of electricity, but the lads are getting shocks left right and centre and it has to be sorted as we would like to get this done right first time!

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Any rubber mat is a anti static mat. Also if you are really concerned about static you can get wrist bands that connect to something metal and grounded. You can get foot straps too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

At my college when we where working on electronics we would just use wrist straps which we would plug into a grounding cable that ran around the work benchs and connected into the wall. Alternative to that we also had grounding plugs which would allow you to connect your wrist strap directly into a plug socket *yoink'd one of those for my electronic home brews :D*

Also try somewhere like radionics.ie for the desk mats and grounding plugs.

Advertisement