Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LFO- Frequencies

• 13-06-2007 12:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭

How is this album not more well known? it's incredible, I thought these guys would be up there with Orbital and Underworld for mainstream acknowledgement but i've been playing this for my friends and they can't believe how good it is and that they'd never heard it before. What do other people think of it? Can't believe how early it is as well!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭electro.ie

Spot on bro, That was groundbreaking, I actually have the limited edition Printed sleeve vinyl of that. Got it for ten quid at a record fair a few years back.

May actually fish it out n have a listen :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Agreed very good album i downloaded it ages ago.

People would be surprised about so many classic Bleep tunes released around 1990 that sound fresh today, here are my top 5 Bleep tunes.:cool:

1- Together - Hardcore Uproar

http://www.discogs.com/release/139813

2- Sweet Exorcist - Testone

http://www.discogs.com/release/2460

3- LFO - LFO

http://www.discogs.com/release/746372

4- Tricky Disco - Tricky Disco

http://www.discogs.com/release/2466

5- States Of Mind - Elements Of Tone

http://www.discogs.com/release/4600

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

i bought it on tape when it came out all those years ago in zhivago.
    the lad behind the counter was all about me when i went to pay him. he was obviously into it as well. we were in a minority back then, not much good stuff around to purchase, esp in Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭radiospan

Saw that "Testone" track a few months ago on MTV2 120 Minutes, class stuff.

plazzTT wrote:
    Saw that "Testone" track a few months ago on MTV2 120 Minutes, class stuff.

one trippy video for sure, i have it on video here if you want ill upload it:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

do you have a soulseek username as a matter of interest johnny?

griffdaddy wrote:
    do you have a soulseek username as a matter of interest johnny?

PM sent mate, ive 15,000+ MP3's anyone who wants to be in my userlist send me a PM.

Here is that classic video Sweet Exorcist - Testone

Bleep music of the highest quality, imagine tripping off your nut watching this:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOzWrJ6nPIo

jonny68 wrote:
    1- Together - Hardcore Uproar
    2- Sweet Exorcist - Testone
    3- LFO - LFO

Great stuff.

Video for LFO's 'LFO' pretty good too.

any idea on what that problem with that soulseek thing is johnny? i've just stuck back a load of jungle and hardcore into my shared folder from '92 and '93 so we have to sort it out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 skinzi

L

F

O

L

F

O

L

F

O

Yeah, 'Frequencies' is an amazing album, and LFO are definitely under-rated and overlooked by many, unfortunately. 808 State's 'Ex:El' also never really got the attention it deserved, but I reckon loads of the early bleep stuff is well relevent today, and sits really nice mixed in with with good new minimal stuff on Poker Flat, Crosstown Rebels, BPitch Control, Moon Harbour, Connaisseur Superieur, Wagon Repair Records, Minus, Diynamic, Traum Scallplatten, Liebe Detail, Get Physical etc etc etc...

One particular track I dug out again recently that sounds amazing (and hardly anybody would have heard of) is a track by Tuff Little Unit called 'Join the Future'...it's an absolute gem! It was released on WARP Records (of course) and you can get it for download on their (superb) download site www.bleep.com. This is THE site for all that bleep stuff, old and new. For the old stuff I reckon WARP68 '10+2 Classics' is the best compilation album to start with...LFO (the definitive 'Leeds Warehouse Mix'), Tricky Disco, Join the Future, DJ Mink's classic early hip-house party starter 'Hey, Hey (Can You Realte)', vintage early Nightmares on Wax stuff (before he did stoner downbeat NoW did a natty line in bleepiness, check the LFO remix of 'Aftermath' for prrof),there's classic stuff from Sweet Exorcist, Coco Steel and Love Bomb....the list goes on...all the classics plus some more obscure stuff, definitely worth checkin' out and a great place to start digging for early bleepness!

Going back to 'Frequencies' and 'Ex:El'...at risk of sounding a bit "I'm so old school I am!" I have very pleasant if rather confused memories of hearing these albums for the first time when they were originally released back in (I think) 1990 (yes, I do own a senior citizen's bus pass, but I still have all of my own teeth, I think!). The 'Frequencies / LFO' memories mainly consist of my mate Jock's battered car, complete with DIY soundsystem (i.e. a big Keff speaker on the back seat and a Mission bass bin in the boot), some very strong microdots and a bizarre decision to go for a ride up the North York Moors one rainy Sunday afternoon after an up all night session in the Leeds Warehouse / Sonny's (a very dodgy after hours in Chapeltown, the Leeds version of Brixton / Toxteth). We decided we wanted to go in search of The Golfballs (you might have seen them on telly, mad 60 foot high golf ball radar things up ni t'moors - American, of course). Don't remember whether or not we found The Golfballs, but we definitely found some special mushrooms, and I just remember trying to hold it together as the various chemicals and funghi snacks I'd imbibed played an energietic game of bowling ball ping pong inside my skull...and this absolutley f****n mental music (i.e. 'Frequencies' and 'Ex:El') doing me no favours whatsoever in my attempts to keep hold of what slim grasp on reality I had. Complete head-wrecker, but I've loved both albums ever since. Old git story number two, if you're interested, is about hearing L F O in a club for the first time. Appropriately enough this was in my regular Saturday night haunt, the Leeds Warehouse (a.k.a. Yorkshire's Hacienda), and I just remember the cheers that went up the first time the bass hit on the track...I'd NEVER heard or felt anything like it before, and the system in the Warehouse was absolute legend so you could feel the bass in your toe nails it was that full on. Yeah...bring it back and play it some more. While we're on a retro revivalist tip, can we bring back the original White Doves too :confused:

Anyway, enough looking back...it's good to check your history and grab some stuff to mix in with new releases, but there's no point dwelling when there's new releases from Paul Kalkbrenner,Barem, Audiofly X, Samim, Shlomi Aber, Solomon and Gebruder Ton, Minilogue, Modeselektor, Martin Buttrich, Loco Dice, Booka Shade, Sebo K, Gabriel Anada, Jamie Jones, Jesse Rose, Sinden etc etc burning a hole in my beatport basket (currently weighing in at a somewhat daunting $527!!! Ouch!!!).

Anyway, bleep ya later

Steve Kinsey

www.myspace.com/skinzi

PS If you are looking back, don't forget A Guy Called Gerald 'Voodoo Ray'...I still play it live and it ALWAYS sounds cool as fook!

Voodoo Ray is a classic alright. Move your Feet by Hithouse is pretty bleepy as well, more of a squelchy kinda bleeping though, still savage!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

jonny68 wrote:
    PM sent mate, ive 15,000+ MP3's anyone who wants to be in my userlist send me a PM.

Same here pm for more info

Zascar wrote:
    Same here pm for more info

cheers, anyone else who wants to be in my list PM me.;)

Advertisement