Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Level Business Aftermath

Options
  • 13-06-2007 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

I thought the Honours Paper was exceptionally easy, I only got a D1 in my mock, now I think I can get B1-A2 amazingly seen as I hate the subject.

The short answers were easier than normal and the Applied Business Question was easier than previous years.

Was great to see the Sale of Goods Act 1980 come up, guaranteed full marks.

I got 58,988 or 56,988 something like that for the Tax Question, anyone else get this.

Overall a Nice Paper!

;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭colm-ccfc84

Yeah reasonable paper. I got an A1 in my pre so I would hope to get one again here. Wide range of questions and choice. Very gruelling though, only just finished in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

Didn't think it was the best paper ever now. I thought it was more like a mock the way it was laid out and in its questions. I mean, what was up with the Data Protection Act in Question 3? Unit 7 featured prominently in short questions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

It went very well for me, i filled an entire booklet plus an extra sheet...

My hand is on the brink of falling off, nearly didnt finish in time though...

I'd say that i got an a2 or b1...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

i was very happy over all. The shorts were very easy. The ABQ was alright, didnt know what the last question was on about, so I waffled, think I answered it right all the same.
    The longs were grand. Nothing difficult in them at all really.
    My hand was in bits after it tho.. still is!! I only just had enough time!
    Got the A1 in the mocks so I hope I'll get the same with this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭toxick

i found it alrightish.. B hopfully, shorts were easy and APQ was ok, 3rd questions like above poster i didnt get, waffled on about aload of stuff. time as a factor for me, and the long questions in part 1 i did not like one bit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭qwertyface

what did people say for the last question in the ABQ? I think I did it completley wrong, which is 30 marks gone!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭euwwy deuwwy

Yeh, wasn't a bad paper alright. I was really stuck for time though and alot of my questions were extremely rushed and my whole test was really messy. I got 5000 nd sumtin 4 the tax quetion aswell but I didnt have a calculator so that might wrong. Overall I'd say a b1

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

Im hopeful i got my A, probably not my A1.

Made 2 mistakes, calculated the take-home pay wrong because i took away PRSI before i deducted tax...hopefully will lose a max of 10 marks.
    Also, mixed up between P12 and P35 (i think thats what they are anyway)

The ABQ part C, i just wrote about how he was a sole-trader and how it would be so much better if he changed to a private limited company. Hopefully i answered it the right way.
    80/80 for the shorts, they were quite easy.
    And 3 laws, how amazing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

That was a bloody marathon of a paper. My arm is wrecked!!!

It was grand though, easy but gruelling.

Abq part 3 I did the characterisitcs of being a sole trader and there were plenty of links. Then in the evaluation I recommended a privte ltd and bring in his daughter, will be able to raise more finance, limited liabilty, greater expertise.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

The question (C) on the ABQ was very poorly defined;

"Evaluate McGComputers as a type of business organisation with appropriate recommendations"

I presumed that Jason McGinley was a sole trader due to the fact;
    1: His company had no 'Ltd' after it
    2: His house was being used as collateral
    3: He was working long hours.
    4: Functional structure/matrix etc is in unit 3

I the discussed his sole trader form of organisation and recommended he changed to Ltd.

Very poorly worded.

Rest of it was fine, short Qs were very easy.

And yeah the take home pay was €56,988 I think. Jesus they fairly rape ya for the tax considering she was on €84,000. Tax was €20,500 at the higher rate :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭euwwy deuwwy

****, for part c i didnt actually mention he was a sole trader, I just recommended changing to a LTD, nd gave the benefits nd a short paragraph of some downfalls to take into consideration. Well there goes another 10 marks What did everyone say for the insurance question?

Cson that is it for part C, exactly what I did. It was poorly phrased indeed but the fact that he set it up, his house was secured etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

****, while writing out the thing about what i did about insurance...i realised i did 3 insurances and 2 taxes...how feckin stupid aaaaaaaahhhhhhh :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭bebop!

Business Short questions were grand ,,, Long Questions were very doable! But the (C) in the ABQ was very open ended ,,it was hard to understand what the heck they wanted us to do! I Mentioned some points about sole trader,ltd liability ,, lack of expertise found in the firm,,, lack of organisation strucure,, very foucesd product range ,, lack of finance and that these areas should b improved what do yous think anyone else go along same lines?? what did people write for the part A???

p.s WOOOO Business is finished!!!!

For the insurances question it was;
    "Describe all the insurances appropriate to the context described"

By that reckoning you'd have to discuss Jasons insurance with respect to;
    (1) Jason as a householder - House insurance, life assurance, medical insurance etc

(2) Jasons Business - Fidelity guarantee (some bastard stole from him), product liability, motor ins (5 vans), GIT, employers liability, key person etc etc

I did all business ones but did 5 so sorted.

bebop! wrote:
    what did people write for the part A???

Afaik, trade fairs (experience with demonstrations), questionaires (already has good relationship with customers, CSO (reads trade publications so thats just an alternative)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Lads that was way too easy. I was up until half four studying that rubbish and was still sh!ttin a brick! Hopefully and A1 but I think they'll mark that hard because it was so easy.

PS. WHY IS THERE TWO THREADS FOR ALMOST EVERY SUBJECT?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Bluefox21

lol is NATO a trade bloc what did ppl get for the second one lol ( im presuming everyone got the EU) and for ABQ part c I just compared the business under headings like finance type of company human resource management market research etc....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Bluefox21 wrote:
    lol is NATO a trade bloc what did ppl get for the second one lol ( im presuming everyone got the EU) and for ABQ part c I just compared the business under headings like finance type of company human resource management market research etc....
    Does the Benelux union still exist???

I hope I get the marks for it

Bluefox21 wrote:

Well I'd presume business organisation means sole trader/partnership/ltd/plc etc so....

And the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation is more of a war machine than a trading bloc.....

Two common enough trading blocs are NAFTA (USA Canada Mexico) and the Pacific Rim (NZ ad OZ)

What about WTO as a trading bloc??

Thats more of an organisation than a trading bloc.

cson wrote:
    Thats more of an organisation than a trading bloc.
    OH feck!! 9 other short questions to count on so!!

EDIT: I checked up answer in Global Business Book ,,, WTO is mentioned as an example of trading bloc as well as EU and NAFTA

bebop! wrote:
    OH feck!! 9 other short questions to count on so!!

The short Qs were easy though, I'd them done in 15 mins. Plenty of time for the ABQ although I was 10 mins looking at the part (C) of it before I did it.

Yea, time wasn't really an issue today.. which is strange because Im always last to leave a business exam because I have to use every minute. I found that I was able to do Q1 and Q7 in section C within a half an hour! Which gave me more time to think about what waffle I was going to write for ABQ (C)!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

bebop! wrote:
    What about WTO as a trading bloc??

yeah I put WTO down too!! Wasnt too sure though so I just guessed?:D

Overall exam was pretty easy. What did people get in this taxation question? I think I got something like 58988. I completely ruined question c of the ABQ!! I thought they meant evaluate the business...so I started talkin about good use of market research and effective implementation of empowerment!! Was terribly phrased!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭D. Coughlan

Good exam today put could have been easier in certain areas particularly the ABQ. It was not clear to me what they were asking in both parts A and C.
    Also what did people put down for Q10 in the shorts, i put down board na mona but could not give 2 points for the second part.

• Advertisement

Q-10 for me;

> Coillte

> 1: Produce timber for use in the construction industry and manage the forests
    2: Exporting excess timber in order to help balance of payments

For bord na mona;
    1: To create employment in the midlands
    2:To provide fuel for power plants/homes etc

Advertisement