Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Level Business Aftermath

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Hopkirk

I thought it was an easy paper, Just the part C in the ABQ, Managed to waffle on a fair bit about him being a sole trader and the advantages and disadvantages, Suggested becoming a Private Limited Company,Empowering his staff, especially his daughter and Business Reprocess Engineering, I hope that was what they were looking for, Very poorly phrased Question,

I got £56588 for the Take home pay, Think it was right, My Higher rate of tax was huge though, £20500,:eek:

Still though an easy paper, Hopefully got the A1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

I put down the EU as my first Trading Bloc but my mind was lost as to another one. Then I just skipped it and wrote non-stop till 12.26 then I just re-checked my paper to see if I answered all 8 compulsory short questions and I then remembered. In a rush I put down the Single European Market, now I know how stupid it was!

I thought (C) of ABQ was simply asked though. Like they asked you to Evaluate the type of Business Organisation and evaluate your recommendations for him. Like the only business organisations are Sole Trader etc. And recommendations obviously meant recommending how he continues his business. I split it in two and thought for 1 minute as I was confused at first then seemed a lot simpler after a while.

I was more concerned about the Marking. I see a Thirty Mark question in Insurance and said " Okay, that's 6 good points at 5 Marks each", I went through this philosophy and put down 7 Insurances with quotes and explanations. Was I right to presume such a marking scheme??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭qwertyface

yeah I put WTO down too!! Wasnt too sure though so I just guessed?:D

I thought they meant evaluate the business...so I started talkin about good use of market research and effective implementation of empowerment!! Was terribly phrased!

I did pretty much the same! I did kinda like a swot analysis of the business... I was used to doing stuff like that for LCVP case studies! So thats about 20 or 30 marks lost anyway....

The wto is a trading bloc btw, the two examples in my book are eu and wto!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

The exam went okay, probably a b3? Part A of the ABQ was good, I got full marks on it, but what was it on again? I found part C tough though. Well one exam left, Music...

Ps. Somebody put a Ballygowen bottle filled with vinegar in my fridge, I just chugged a bit of it, rank...

The (a) part was about the marketing techniques he currently uses and any recommendations on them.

Although I got a little mixed up here. I put recommendations on what he could do in relation to the techniques he used i.e Questionnaire/Survey for Consumer related one instead of doing completely random new marketing techniques??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

qwertyface wrote:
    The wto is a trading bloc btw, the two examples in my book are eu and wto!

Afaik it's not and wiki seems to confirm this;

Trading Bloc > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trading_bloc

WTO > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Trade_Organization

N.B What's AFAIK.....trying for months to figure it out but didn't bother asking? Lol.

I don't think the WTO is a trading bloc???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭bebop!

cson wrote:
    Q-10 for me;

> Coillte

> 1: Produce timber for use in the construction industry and manage the forests
    2: Exporting excess timber in order to help balance of payments

For bord na mona;
    1: To create employment in the midlands
    2:To provide fuel for power plants/homes etc

For this question I took it as "explain two reasons for state involvement in this category" as in why they participate in the production category in general... also i was thinking Coillte aswell but thinking bout it now bord na mona would be more correct i would think because coillte is more to do with the primary industry.??!? Oh I hate post mortems!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

Much of a muchness really, Coillte process a good whack of what they cut down themselves and sell it.

@lucas10101: Afaik = As Far As I Know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

i threw down Mercosur as my other trading bloc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 curlysue18

The Global Business book gives wto as an example of a trading bloc.

i was pretty happy with it, i only barely finished in time though, i spent way too long on the abq and had to rush the long questions. my hand was on the verge of falling off:eek:

I was hoping for an a but reckon i got maybe a b2. part (c) of abq and the stupid tax forms were the parts where i went wrong :mad:

overall it was a pretty easy exam..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Thought that was a great paper. The short questions were pretty handy, although I couldn't think of a second trading bloc to put down.

ABQ parts 1 and 2 were class, especially the insurance question.

Long questions were pretty good too, I did 1,5,6,7 I think. Lots of nice problem solving questions thrown in there.

Reckon I might've gotten a B out of a subject I got A D in in the mocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

Mine was ok i think..perhaps a B3

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

cson wrote:
    The question (C) on the ABQ was very poorly defined;

"Evaluate McGComputers as a type of business organisation with appropriate recommendations"

I presumed that Jason McGinley was a sole trader due to the fact;
    1: His company had no 'Ltd' after it
    2: His house was being used as collateral
    3: He was working long hours.
    4: Functional structure/matrix etc is in unit 3

I the discussed his sole trader form of organisation and recommended he changed to Ltd.

Very poorly worded.

Rest of it was fine, short Qs were very easy.

And yeah the take home pay was €56,988 I think. Jesus they fairly rape ya for the tax considering she was on €84,000. Tax was €20,500 at the higher rate :eek:
    sounds liek my ABQ too. Think I got that for pay aswell!!

All is not lost :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

Will the department learn about the student's reaction to question c of ABQ and consequently change the marks? I'm determined to get at least a few marks for that question, even if it means I have to e-mail M.Hannifan and tell her about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭me2gud4u

yeh i thought the Abq was fairly incoherent towards the end especially the last sentence. Here u know the way he had to put his house as security doesn't that indicate unlimted liability which would indicate either sole trader or partnership yet he has 12 employess, was in charge and was only perhaps thinking of getting the girl to go into day to day running?Then at the end the metion of investors would indicate limited liabilty, so some kind or limited company prob private so how were we supposed to determine the type of organisational structure? Did anyone think the question and Abq was all over the place with no definite structure, was like the person who set it started writing it, went off for a game of golf or something and then camre back and finished of setting the questions and alst paragraph, severly disjointed!

otherwise the short questions and long section was a dream-with the hotly tipped data protection act up!!very nice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Bluefox21

damn im hoping they still give marks for my analysis of the business as an organisation rather then what type of organisation I thought all that was't gonna be in the ABQ coz of the unit it was in lol correct me if im wrong coz I threw away my business book ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 curlysue18

Maybe we should all complain about part c, it really was very unclear...:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭fallon54

Article in the Indo today referring to this question (ABQ part C) so clearly everyone had difficulty with it, was very vague to be honest.

Quick Question, in relation to short question number 10. I fairly bombed through the short questions they were handy but everyone else seems to have used an extractive industry for production. I chose the ESB (production of electricity) and my two reasons were
    1. To provide essential services to rural and otherwise unprofitable areas
    2. To prevent a monopoly and give consumers choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 CosaFada

Like everyone one else I was messed up by that part c.
    Immediately i thought it was referring to legal structure but then i thought:
    1.theres no clear indication as to what type of business structure it is,you could guess,but it really would be risky to base 30 marks on a guess.
    2.In my book legal structures are always referred to as business "structures" and not business "organisations". Is this the same in other books? (mines business on-line by the way!)
    I didnt finish the question anyway so im not going to benefit much whatever the answer is,but the reason i didnt finish was because i sopent so long just goin wtf!?did this happen to anyone alse?:D I know i shouldnt have let it happen to me but something like that really throws you in an exam!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

fallon54 wrote:
    Article in the Indo today referring to this question (ABQ part C) so clearly everyone had difficulty with it, was very vague to be honest.

Quick Question, in relation to short question number 10. I fairly bombed through the short questions they were handy but everyone else seems to have used an extractive industry for production. I chose the ESB (production of electricity) and my two reasons were
    1. To provide essential services to rural and otherwise unprofitable areas
    2. To prevent a monopoly and give consumers choice.

Yeah i had exactly the same thing, esb, except my 2nd point was that the start up costs would have been to expensive for private enterprise. That has to be right. I mean they produce electricity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Gowranistan

Bluefox21 wrote:
    damn im hoping they still give marks for my analysis of the business as an organisation rather then what type of organisation I thought all that was't gonna be in the ABQ coz of the unit it was in lol correct me if im wrong coz I threw away my business book ;)

Business organisations are in unit 7 which is on the Abq. It was a bad question although as the text didn't indicate what type it was clearly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Arctic_Monkeh

haha Q10 on the shorts was the only one i didnt answer!

reckon i got about 70 in sec 1. the trading bloc yoke...man am i stupid, wrote embargo and Us and Cuba :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Also for ABQ part c, wrote about he i thought he was a sole trader then it was a plc .....ARRGGGHHHH, damn you hindsight!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭D. Coughlan

What type of business organisation was it in the ABQ, i did not have a clue in the exam, heard after it was a sole trader, and now its a ltd or plc. Which is it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭bebop!

What type of business organisation was it in the ABQ, i did not have a clue in the exam, heard after it was a sole trader, and now its a ltd or plc. Which is it ?

It was 100% a sole trader!!! The Biggest cule was in the title Ltd or PLC did not follow McGComputers and if you look at past exam papers e.g 2006-Stylish Décor Ltd. <<<<Ltd is in da name!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Arctic_Monkeh

feck

...although i did mention sole trader.....just in the completely wrong context ha

Yeah i had exactly the same thing, esb, except my 2nd point was that the start up costs would have been to expensive for private enterprise. That has to be right. I mean they produce electricity.

Least I'm not alone. Cheers mate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Gowranistan

I put down ESB aswell. It didn't say that it had to be primary. Reasons: Cost of building infrastructure too high and important service that needs to be provided at reasonable price. Last one probabaly won't get marks though.

I put down ESB aswell. It didn't say that it had to be primary. Reasons: Cost of building infrastructure too high and important service that needs to be provided at reasonable price. Last one probabaly won't get marks though.

Cool, I reckon you'd get the marks for the second one, more or less along the lines of one of mine, so shouldnt see why not

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

I said because it is a open market with nobody else producing electricity and also it is something the public need??? what ye think ????

also would costomers vs investers work for competitive relationship??/

Advertisement