Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

hit a pot-hole, any comeback from council?

Options
  • 13-06-2007 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭

my mate text me saying he hit a pot-hole and needs the alloy repaired or maybe a new one plus he needs a new tyre.

is there any possibility if he'd get anything back from the county council?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Yes, get a photo of the hole before they fill it.
    If you attempt to collect from the council without photo evidence, they will fill in the hole and tell you it never existed.
    Photograph the hole, photograph the damage, then contact the local road dept of the local council to the pothole.

No photo - No claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

There could well be a chance.

I worked for the council before, I recall somebody complaining about a pot hole and a punctured tyre. unfortuantely i dont know how it resulted because it was not my issue to follow up

Also, one of my friends dad oversteered around a roundabout and crashed into the Kerb because there was loose gravel around the roundabout and no signs ... he definitely got compensation for that.

So theres definitely a chance for some compensation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭( . )( . )

ok thanks guys, i'm going to go with him later and take pics of the damage and the pot-hole. :)

anyone recommend a fair priced alloy repair company in the dublin area?

thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

when you are taking pics of the pothole , use a tape measure in the photo if you can to show the width and dept of the pothole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

I know cases that did get new wheels and tyres (2 only) but I also know cases that get nothing because they didn't do their homework.
    Take images and be on top of the situation at all time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

They have to have known about it beforehand for you to be successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

Remember to use one of those disposable cameras..I was told on a driving course and told, that if someone hits my car and I had a digital camera with photos they might not be accepted as they can be altered..

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

mad m wrote:
    Remember to use one of those disposable cameras..I was told on a driving course and told, that if someone hits my car and I had a digital camera with photos they might not be accepted as they can be altered..
    A court will normally accept digital media if it is accompanied by a sworn affidavit - assuming you can rpesent yourself as a reliable witness. That said a 15 euro disposable is better than a 300 euro digital if stolen.

Also note, it you collide with something, make sure to take pictures of where the glass and paint chips fall. This better represents the point of impact than where the vehicles come to rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Fanboy

Mis-Feasence ..... This is when the council tried to fix it, did a pants job and it results in damage. This is the only way your friend will get any money off them, had they previously tried to fix it?

Non-Feasence ..... This is when they didnt know about it AND if they did and did nothing about it. They have no obligation to pay out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

fitzdragon wrote:
    when you are taking pics of the pothole , use a tape measure in the photo if you can to show the width and dept of the pothole

and maybe stick something with the date on it to show when the photos where taken.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭( . )( . )

thanks lads, but he's not gonna bother taken pics of it... :rolleyes:

it's costing him €180 for new tyre and alloy repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,342 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Victor wrote:
    They have to have known about it beforehand for you to be successful.

That's my understanding too. The council must have been made aware about the pothole, before the accident happened

Anybody back this up with a link by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

I know my brother tore the sump out of his Golf, along with 3 or 4 other motorists a couple of years ago after a half finished resurfacing job left a manhole exposed. AFAIR he had to go through his insurance first then the council, then the developer who was responsible, took about 2 years !

edit:spelling

Advertisement