Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Lowry does a deal

Options
  • 13-06-2007 1:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Bertie sure is going the extra mile to make sure he has every loose end tied up. The indy for Tipp Nth was just on Newstalk outlining in as vague a way as possible the goodies he belives he's secured. Lowry sounded suprisingly low-key talking about delivering on T21 and NDP and highligting heath but not suggesting there's something for everyone in the audience.

Mike.

Comments

Yup heard that.

I can almost hear Enda now... "Blashtid turn coat..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Not why I voted for Finian.

If I wanted more Fianna Fail support I could just as easily have given Ivor Callaly a vote. That would have been a better option that voting for an independent. At least it would make for a stronger government without "deals".
    Independent TDs Michael Lowry and Finian McGrath have both agreed deals with Fianna Fail to back Bertie Ahern as Taoiseach when the new Dail meets tomorrow.

Details of the agreements have not been disclosed, but Mr Lowry says he has secured significant investments that will bring huge benefits to his North Tipperary constituency.

Mr McGrath is also likely to have negotiated a package of measures for his Dublin North Central constituency.

Mr Ahern has now secured the support of three independent TDs in exchange for spending promises relating to their constituency.

Earlier this week, South Kerry TD Jackie Healy-Rae signed a similar deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Heinrich wrote:

If I wanted more Fianna Fail support I could just as easily have given Ivor Callaly a vote. That would have been a better option that voting for an independent. At least it would make for a stronger government without "deals".

Ok. But if you vote for an independent they are going to use whatever influence they have to get their agenda. They are independent so not affiliated to either FG/FF.

Tony Gregory used his very well in 82.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Seanies32 wrote:
    Ok. But if you vote for an independent they are going to use whatever influence they have to get their agenda. They are independent so not affiliated to either FG/FF.

Tony Gregory used his very well in 82.
    Gregory was in a key situation in '82 whereas that is not the case today. FF do not even need the greens and our pal with the cap is FF gene pool as is Beverley. The PD couple will be in anyway so whatever Finian can achieve will not be great. It looks like he will not even have speaker time under the group ruling. His best bet would be CC so that he will not have to answer awkward questions and get himself in for the next ten years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Mr Ahern has now secured the support of three independent TDs in exchange for spending promises relating to their constituency.
    /rant
    :mad: At whose expense? So now Messrs Healy-Rae, Lowry and McGrath can feck off now and do sod all for the rest of the country and still be guaranteed re-election next time around. Sure why the hell are the rest of us voting in political parties when we could be electing independents to broker deals at the expense of every other constituency. If they "really" want to do something for their area go and become a county councillor
    /rant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Ah Fianna Fáil and Michael Lowry.... a match made in heaven! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Jimoslimos wrote:
    /rant
    :mad: At whose expense? So now Messrs Healy-Rae, Lowry and McGrath can feck off now and do sod all for the rest of the country and still be guaranteed re-election next time around. Sure why the hell are the rest of us voting in political parties when we could be electing independents to broker deals at the expense of every other constituency. If they "really" want to do something for their area go and become a county councillor
    /rant

Couldn't agree more. Local deals are damaging to national development strategies. And a national Government should always be putting the need of the country first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

BendiBus wrote:
    Couldn't agree more. Local deals are damaging to national development strategies. And a national Government should always be putting the need of the country first.

People vote for independents for the exact reason that they might get a Gregory deal for their area.

And the country needs stable Government so it could definitely be argued that the national interest is being put first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

Heinrich wrote:

So why did you vote for him

To see him sitting with FG and Labour completely toothless or do you think that McGrath should wait till 83 more like minded independents can take over all control

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Of course, with these secret deals, they can claim to have delivered 100% or 120% ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The deals they make with the independents should be made public to keep both sides honest. Well as honest as Irish politicians can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Ah Fianna Fáil and Michael Lowry.... a match made in heaven! ;)

Ah yeah, Enda/Pat/Trevor would have said down with that sort of thing and said we'll have the SF sort of thing instead.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Voipjunkie wrote:
    So why did you vote for him

To see him sitting with FG and Labour completely toothless or do you think that McGrath should wait till 83 more like minded independents can take over all control

I voted for him because I watched him in the live Dail debates and saw that he was fairly effective along with the Group of Independents. I also spoke with him and he never mentioned the proposed alliance with FF until he was re elected and then he said he would not be selling out, nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

There are too many costly "deals" with independents, notably the secret one with Healey-Rae. It would be preferable to have the cards on the table.

I'd agree with the notion that this horse trading with independents is flawed.
    Besides it only works when theres a few of them combined with a tight majority.
    A lot of people voted for horse traders in 02 and got nothing due to the strong FF vote.
    Finian did what he could for his constituency.
    It's ok though to disagree with that in principle but as we know here in Ireland principle doesnt win votes-2 things do (1) your pocket and (2) your pocket and probably increasingly quality of life issues so thats becoming a small (3) though it's the little brother of (1) given that (1) has the most say in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Tristrame wrote:
    A lot of people voted for horse traders in 02 and got nothing due to the strong FF vote.
    Way too many horse dealers in 2002 though. :D

Advertisement