Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French

Options
  • 13-06-2007 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

Just wondering how do you know when to use J'AI or JE before each verb? cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭SamHamilton

cartman444 wrote:
    Just wondering how do you know when to use J'AI or JE before each verb? cheers!

In the present, conditional, future, most tenses - you use je, tu, il, elle, on, nous, vous, ils, elles depending on whether it's I, you, he, she, one, we, you, they, they(fem.).

In the past tense you use j'ai, tu as, il a, elle a, on a, nous avons, vous avez, ils ont, elles ont before the verb. But that's only some of the time.

e.g. J'ai fait mes devoirs

Etre is used as well in the past tense, before these verbs(and others)

aller, venir, arriver, partir, entrer, sortir, naitre, mourir, rester, tomber...

Je suis allé au cinéma

And it's used before reflexive verbs in the past tense e.g. je me suis lavé

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭ron-burgandy

can anyone tell me if this is idiomatic and correct: "qui a dit que la vie est belle?"

Think I read it somewhere around these parts and I slapped it into my diary entry...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

S**** I just remembered I didn't use any proverbs. Ah well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Shox

can anyone tell me if this is idiomatic and correct: "qui a dit que la vie est belle?"

Yup tis indeed!! i used that one myself and then stuck, ma vie est toujours penible!! a nice start i thought!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

I used il n'y a pas de petit chez soi for the one about being proud of your area. I had half an inkling that I knew what it meant, so it went down on the paper. Just found out now that its right.
    Totally forgot how to say angry in two different ways. All I could remember was fachee (I know the spellings wrong.) Funny how your mind goes blank.

• Advertisement
Advertisement