Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What I hate about Boards.ie/Motors

Options
  • 13-06-2007 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

Anyone else dispare when they come to motors hoping to meet like minded folk to share views and opinions and find its full of crappy bickering such as wether a Starlet is more reliable than a Alfa 147 ? (Normally by a guy with a starlet and a fella whos dad once heard of a fella that had trouble with a 147)

What I hate most about Motors is the amount people who's new found enthusiasm is fueled by the fact the sales man convinced them to spend €200 extra for the 'Sport' pack on his new Almera -so he's now a car nut and Almeras are better than everything - especially whatever Clarkson et al said was crap on last Sunday nights show.

Rant over.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

www.motors.ie is Westmeath Motor Group, what is your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

yop wrote:
    www.motors.ie is Westmeath Motor Group, what is your point?
    I'm assuming (could be wrong) that the OP means here.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Ok, fair enough!!

Anyway, to answer the OP's point - I dunno. If you take any group of enthusiasts of anything, anywhere in the world, they will argue. Some arguments are both entertaining and educational, some are one or the other, some are neither. I guess the trick is to cherry-pick according to your own interests/passions/prejudices. On a separate note, there is some very good information/advice to be got around here. I wouldn't be completely clueless when it comes to cars, but i've been helped out a lot over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭bo-bo

if there is something i dont like, i just ignore it. you dont have to read the posts you dont like.

people have different levels of enthusiasm for their hobby, dont let it get to you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Anan1 wrote:
    Anyway, to answer the OP's point - I dunno. If you take any group of enthusiasts of anything, anywhere in the world, they will argue. Some arguments are both entertaining and educational, some are one or the other, some are neither. I guess the trick is to cherry-pick according to your own interests/passions/prejudices. On a separate note, there is some very good information/advice to be got around here. I wouldn't be completely clueless when it comes to cars, but i've been helped out a lot over the years.

I agree with this.

There are many pointless arguments and debates going on, I have been involved in many, but so what? The problems start when some posters get personally abusive, and at this point a moderator usually interveens.

Everyone has an opinion and is perfectly entitled to no matter how much you may dislike it.

(BTW, I am one of those who argue that Alfas are not all bad and that VW's are not all good).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I agree its not all bad -
    but my point is "enthusiasts" is a very strong word for most of the posters on boards/motors - and most of the arguments are started by mindless regurgetation of rubbish people half overheard/ read in The Star as opposed to, informed debate about proper motoring topics by people with a real interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Aaah sure this place is excellent Krack! :D

lots of help, advice etc for all...and like everywhere else, you always get some animosity, but its best to ignore it! :)

RobAMerc wrote:
    I agree its not all bad -
    but my point is "enthusiasts" is a very strong word for most of the posters on boards/motors - and most of the arguments are started by mindless regurgetation of rubbish people half overheard/ read in The Star as opposed to, informed debate about proper motoring topics by people with a real interest.
    I see where you're coming from, but I suppose it's all relative. Imagine if this site were peopled exclusively by highly-qualified engineers, philosophers and road-safety experts - would we be welcome then?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 watchinpaintdry

Welcome to the internet, basically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

Fireside advisors we used to call them.
    People who give advise but really have no clue themselves.

Used to get them all the time when I was in the showroom.

(Not sure where that name came from - but it stuck)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Its the internet, and its an internet forum. People express their opinions and beliefs and often think they're right and everyone else is wrong....you just gotta take it all with a pince of salt!

A thread is just like a bar, if you go in and you dont like the crowd, head off to another one!

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

Yea people think they can say whatever they want on forums. Also things can come accross wrong in text very easily as its easy to take it out of context compared to talking to people in person. Then there is also the kind of people who have nothing better to do than argue stupid irrelevant points or point out spelling mistakes etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Glanza V

Must say i agree with the OP. Dont really come here anymore. Too many small minded people who are cheque book mechanics. I personally havent learned anything from here apart from Boy racers are the problem to everything car related and buying a new car is a waste of money.

I will come back from time to time to read posts but i think my experience is wasted here imo. I mostly hang out at the owners forums where the real car enthusiast are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

I've been going through phases of coming here and not posting, but think it's interesting enough, but then I don't read every post :rolleyes: It was a bit disheartening when you had various posters coming on saying that's my Ferrari/Veyron/Concorde and everyone here is a t!t, and there seems to be more trolls, but then again, it is t'internet.

If you want a surreal forum by the way, go on ferrarichat.com :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

As has been said by others more eloquelnt then myself already, you'll always find a gombeen in a forum who likes to make out that he knows more than he actually does. We call them "internet experts" at work, because their information is usually half-arsed and completely confused in it's application.

If you don't like what someone says, then ignore it. If it's one person consistently, use the IGNORE button.

Problem solved!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

your on the internet of course people are gonna bulls*it and disagree with you

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Depends what you want from it. I find the information here invaluable, according to boardtracker, I've started 144 threads in motors, but it's not listing all the ones I have started so it's probably double that in reality:o

If you just stick to answering and asking questions you'll get a lot from it. If you waste your time replying with useless, regurgitated, unhelpful info, you'll find yourself just wasting yours and everyone else's time.

This is one of the few posts in motors I've bothered to reply to that is of no help to anyone after me just saying not to:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

The boards.ie/Motors section is just about motoring in general, ie. fuel prices, batteries, tyres, traffic, travelling by car and all other stuff. I'm afraid you will have to deal with it.

Because it's a general forum I don't look for things specific, just come in for a look, and usually open a Thread which interests me, and ignore the ones that don't.

If you are a car enthusiast, your best bet is to find a site that deals with your specific needs like an Merc site or a BMW site or whatever, and even those would have some generalites aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

Welcome to the internet, basically.

Hahaha! Indeed! I have to say though, the proportion of these people in the motors section seems to be higher than anywhere else, probably partly for the reasons listed above - Everyone's an expert once they've made any sort of modification or lifted the bonnet, and read the motoring section from a newspaper. A lot of the funny (funny as in I ignore them for the most part) discussions come from the PC brigade though who also seem to be more abundant here than in other areas - people with an ideal world kind of mind and no problem forcing it down everyone's throats...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Hahaha! Indeed! I have to say though, the proportion of these people in the motors section seems to be higher than anywhere else, probably partly for the reasons listed above - Everyone's an expert once they've made any sort of modification or lifted the bonnet, and read the motoring section from a newspaper. A lot of the funny (funny as in I ignore them for the most part) discussions come from the PC brigade though who also seem to be more abundant here than in other areas - people with an ideal world kind of mind and no problem forcing it down everyone's throats...

Nail on head ....

I honestly don't understand how anybody can come on to an internet forum and give out about other people trying to force things down their throat. Are they forcing you to read their posts? Come on...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

@Anan1
    A lot of the funny (funny as in I ignore them for the most part) discussions...
    Yep, well aware that I can safely ignore them, and normally do... However seeing as this is a thread specifically *for* giving out about Boards.ie I thought I'd add it in there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

The boards.ie/Motors section is just about motoring in general, ie. fuel prices, batteries, tyres, traffic, travelling by car and all other stuff. I'm afraid you will have to deal with it.

Quite true, a lot of people who come here are absolute novices that have questions they want answered. If you wanted to talk tech or specific performance, I would sugget you start your threads in modified cars section.

Have to agree with Daedalus, there are too many 75 year old nannys who like to pop on and tell you how wonderful their driving ability is and how you should have your license taken off you for doing 105km/h in a 100km/h zone.
    All you can do really is put up with it or point out that their comments are not helpful.

That said, recently i've seen a decline in the anoracks. I think this is due to people giving out about it though.

@Anan1

Yep, well aware that I can safely ignore them, and normally do... However seeing as this is a thread specifically *for* giving out about Boards.ie I thought I'd add it in there...
    That's pretty fvcked-up logic, but I do see what you're saying.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

I agree in part RobAMerc, couple of things frustrate me also, take a simple question or query, for example "what are the penalty points for having no insurance?" now, there is really only 1 answer for that, and one would think 1 reply, but nooooooooooooooooo, the same question will be answered maybe 10 times, post counts ? who knows....... another thing i find quiet amusing, the current poster who preaches about advanced driving and how competant they are are the ones telling you 6 months previous they have their test coming up and looking for pointers............

As long as you realise "empty vessels" and all that just look past it, and for the record...... motors is one of the best forums on here, you will nearly always get a query answered correctly, and there is that little bit more leeway given to the poster, no threats of bannings and the like, makes it a more mature experience compared to other forums on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

The thing that drives me insane in the brain about this forum is the herd mentality. BMWs are great. Toyotas are great. Alfas are crap. Renaults are crap. VWs are great. Skodas are crap. and so on.

That this reflects the prevailing "wisdom" of the typical Irish car buyer is beyond doubt, but you'd hope for slightly more educated/informed opinions from some of the people here.

On an unrelated note, what passes for a "classic" in the classics subforum sometimes sticks in the throat. e.g. 1986 Mazda 9 estate. Very possibly the most uninspiring car ever made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Ah yes, the motors forum on boards.ie, where every car is ****e unless it has TDI stamped on the back. :rolleyes:

So many so called "experts" on here... you'd swear that it was a forum for car haters rather than enthusiasts. I'm a regular poster on a number of motor forums and I've never met such a bunch of finger-waggling anoraks who think that having a Passat TDI and having a life long goal of owning a BMW 320d is something not only to aspire to, but to decry anyone else who might think otherwise.

I've decided to leave the forum to the anoraks and not post anymore, there's no good information to be had anyways, and woe betide you if you admit to occasionally speeding or being a young driver because that gives the established experts free reign to tell you about how you're directly responsible for all the kids killed on the road last year :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

What pisses me off is that everyone needs a personalized answer to their generic problem, eg: "I've got 30k to spend on an executive car to bore me on the way to work" - really, well you could have looked at the other similar threads first.

I'm interested in discussions about working on your own car, but theres very few threads about that, any that do happen are lost in the chaos. There are more "DIY" threads in the classics subforum, but I don't feel like clogging that up with musings/questions, and far less people read it anyway. I hereby volunteer to mod the "diy mechanic" subforum :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Glanza V wrote:
    Must say i agree with the OP. Dont really come here anymore. Too many small minded people who are cheque book mechanics. I personally havent learned anything from here apart from Boy racers are the problem to everything car related and buying a new car is a waste of money.

I will come back from time to time to read posts but i think my experience is wasted here imo. I mostly hang out at the owners forums where the real car enthusiast are.

Pretty much me to a T, i dont seem to learn much from this forum at all compared to other sites, and from posts i read (alot) there are a couple of fairly arrogant people who will reply to your post just to flame, god you would need a fire suit in here.

guys we just need to be a little more helpfull and if we dont really have anything constructive to say then DONT SAY IT:mad: , simple as.

Advertisement