Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Gene Hoglan is the ****in' man!

• 13-06-2007 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

No doubt about it, the man is an exceptional drummer, and I thought I'd just have to give homage to him with a thread.

He's been involved in some absolutely phenominal music over the years, what with Strapping Young Lad / Devin Townsend, and of course, having been on two of my favourite Death albums, Individual Thought Patterns and Symbolic. I haven't really listened to Dark Angel, but it's definetly going on my to-do list. He's also recorded and/or toured with Testament, Old Man's Child, Opeth, and I just found out... He's the real 'Pickles The Drummer' on the cartoon Metalocalypse, and the upcoming DethAlbum! :eek:

Can't wait for that...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I haven't really listened to Dark Angel

:eek:

Then you don't don't know Gene Hoglan at all. He wrote most of their tunes, get Time Does Not Heal right now and don't come back until you are intimate with all 9 songs, 67 minutes, 246 riffs! Then get Darkness Descends into you, stat! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

had no idea he's pickles... fantastic stuff!

legend drummer alright, seems like a nice guy too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Doctor J wrote:
    :eek:

Then you don't don't know Gene Hoglan at all. He wrote most of their tunes, get Time Does Not Heal right now and don't come back until you are intimate with all 9 songs, 67 minutes, 246 riffs! Then get Darkness Descends into you, stat! :)

I know, I know... Shamefull... But I will definetly get around to it! Promise! :o

Are you familiar with much Strapping Young Lad though Doc? Seems Gene did most of his work with them, aswell as some of Devin Townsend's solo albums.
    had no idea he's pickles... fantastic stuff!

legend drummer alright, seems like a nice guy too!

I know, I always assumed that seeing as series creator Brendon Small played all the instruments and wrote all the music and lyrics, that he just sequenced the drums himself or something, but it's actually Gene the machine! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Are you familiar with much Strapping Young Lad though Doc? Seems Gene did most of his work with them, aswell as some of Devin Townsend's solo albums.
    Yeah, heard a lot of their stuff but never really got into SYL, dunno, just never clicked with me. Dark Angel are fantastic though, when you consider what everyone else was coming out with in 1986, Darkness Descends is in the same league as Reign In Blood as a breakthrough in speed and ferocity. Gene's lyrics are pretty raw, especially on Time Does Not Heal, I remember reading the inlay of TDNH when I was a kid, thinking "Gene, you sick ****" :D

Oh yeah, the track Darkness Descends also contains the ... ahem, inspiration let's say, where Lars got his famous double-kick bit for One ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

I too second Dark Angel - in fact listening to Time Does not Heal - absolutely superb stuff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Dude, stop making me want to buy more CDs! :D

I love SYL, but I know a lot of death metal fans don't like them because they're too tounge-in-cheek as it were. I really do love the humour of them, because it's not a piss-take or a parody of anything, and of course they make some incredible music. I won't presume it's because of the humour that you're not into them though, because you're a terrible man to try and second-guess. I mean, for a lot of things musical, it seems like we're singing from the same album sleeve as it were, but then there's things I like that you just seem to hate. ;)

Anyway, you've guided me towards Atheist and Cynic in the past, so chances are you're not lying about Dark Angel. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭Alucard II

He's the real 'Pickles The Drummer' on the cartoon Metalocalypse, and the upcoming DethAlbum! :eek:
    yeah, i read that and thought "jaysas, Pickles' drumming ability is about to go through the roof" :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

i'll 3rd darkness descends, cracking album .. . i much prefer it to RIB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

Dark Angel are indeed the business. The Gene Machine has always been one of my favourite drummers, Gene + Chuck = music god wish he wrote. And I would definitely take Darkness Descends over RIB any day. And MOP for that matter. I'll just outright say that Dark Angel are possibly the greatest thrash metal band I've heard. They're right up there with Testament and Death Angel, only in an entirely different and more brutal/visceral league of their own.

Also try the Almighty Punchdrunk for some GeneHog insanity. And SYL were pretty good, City was good and so was Alien.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I remember meeting gene after the SYL gig a few years ago, bringing him to fibbers and getting him pissed up on vodka.

That man is sound, and loves his vodka!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 BuCkoTroN

One of the best drummers in metal or as they call him "The Atomic Clock" his best playing im my opinion is on ****storm or Home Nucleonics :D
    "The Beat Starts Here"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

Darkness Descends is one of my favourite thrash albums ever, it's aggression and speed to the point of insanity!

/Offtopic/
    BuCkoTroN, you're not allowed have animated sigs. Plus that gif is too large.

Advertisement