Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No VGA Sound with Xbox 360 on Panasonic PV70

• 13-06-2007 2:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

Decided to try hook up my 360 over VGA on Panasonic TH-37PV71 and im not getting any sound over the RCA cables.. anyone know why and got a fix? Otherwise, im absolutely delighted with the tv

Oh and also.. anyone know how to change the border colour from grey to black when viewing in 4:3?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Not too familiar with the VGA settings, but have you checked all sound settings on the Xbox and on the TV for sound input?
    Does the TV accept sound when using VGA?

Not too sure about the border colour as I have always been in 16:9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

i messed around with the xbox settings and it worked.. it was set to 5.1 so i changed it back to stereo and that seemed to work..

still havent found anything for the grey border. im just using 'Just' setting for all the analog channels.. but theres some programmes where it just doesnt work so i prefer to watch them in 4:3.. the grey sides are quite off-putting

Watched Black Hawk Down (WMV-HD) and Equilibrium (x264) both in 720p there.. really lush.. and apparently the screen gets better after about a good couple of hours. Fantastic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭Kenpo

Hi, but is sound normally passed with VGA?

I want to hook my laptop to a Sharp HD LCD (using VGA).

Will the sound be sent through this connection or do I need to feed the sound from the headphone port to the sound points on the telly?

Thanks

K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

No you won't get sound through the VGA cable you'll have to buy 3.5mm (headphone type connecction) to Phono lead, this will plug into the sound output on your laptop and connect to the phono connectors in on your TV.

Takethevail, the borders are grey for a reason as it reduces the chances of image retention and screen burn, I don't really see a reason why you would watch programmes like that, the only reason I've seen for using it is that some xbox 1 games on the 360 only display 4:3 through the VGA cable GTA is one such game.

Snake ;)

well some channels/programmes are still broadcast in 4:3 and, for some of them, stretching them to fill the screen with 'Just' distorts the image too much. Sport for example.. so i prefer to watch it the way its been broadcast

and yeah Kenpo, you wont get sound over VGA itself, you'll need the 3.5mm to phone lead like Plisken said. The Xbox 360 VGA lead has that lead attached to it.. or has optical output for hooking up to sound systems

• Advertisement

TakeTheVeil, Can you let me know a channel that broadcasts in 4:3, I'll check it on my Panny

Snake

i think the tennis on BBC is being shown in 4:3.. i dont know if any channel broadcasts all their content in 4:3 just some programs.. Channel 6 are a sh'ites for 4:3 .. esp with older comedy shows like Seinfeld etc

im not complaining.. just wanted to know if you could change the grey border to black

I take it you have a sky box, have u it set for 16:9 or widescreen mode in skybox settings? Or is this off the NTL cable?

Snake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭Kenpo

Thanks guys.

Advertisement