Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice for Nervous Learner Driver

Options
  • 13-06-2007 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hey all,

So at the ripe old age of 24 i've just recently gotten my first provisional licence. Just started a new job so really need to get driving asap to cut out the 6 bus a day trek i've been doing!! I've never really had a reason to drive before so never bothered taking lessons before now. To start off my dad took me to a closed off car park a few times to give me a few lessons. All in all went grand. Still have a little trouble controlling the clutch but getting better all the time.

The problems started when he suggested i drive home one of the days (about a 10 minute drive). I just completely clammed up and refused. The idea of driving in traffic terrified me... so i told him no. My original plan was to just take a few lessons with him to get the feel of the car and then book a block of lessons with a proper instructor. Now though i'm terrified to even do that... I just dont feel comfortable with the idea of being on a road with other traffic. :o

It's only been a few weeks but I know if i want to learn properly i'll have to go out there sometime!! So does anyone here have any advice on how I can stay calm or has anyone else experienced this before??

Thanks guys!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Book your lessons with a proper instructor. You'll be in a dual control car so if you find yourself having trouble with the clutch, the instructor can help you out. He'll also have his own brake pedal so he can stop the car if anything goes tits up. First time out in traffic is a terrifying experience for most people, but a good instructor will be able to help you through that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 niandras smile

Thanks Stark. I know i'd be mad not to book them soon (so i can start without bad habits and stuff) but i'm really s***ing it about being in traffic :o

I was thinking about booking either:

Irish School of Motoring or
    Mini Motoring School

Anyone have any experience with either of them??

And i thought I should book 10 one hour lessons and do it as 5 days of 2 hour lessons. Should i book more / less??

Irish School of Motoring: Can vary in standards of tuition depending on who you get. No experience of Mini driving school. Whereabouts are you living?

1 hour lessons would be better. 2 hours and you'll just end up getting fatigued and wound up. Book 3 or 4 at first and see how you get on.

Living in Clontarf. Both places were recommended to me but not sure at all which to go for, or if i should look for another. Money is an issue but i don't really care how dear a place is if i'm certain it'd be a great instructor!! Any ideas?

I did some pre-test lessons with Temple school of motoring (www.drivewithtemple.com) and they were very good. They'd be based around your area too (I did my lessons in Raheny, but they have people in Clontarf too apparently).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Driving is one of those things that are all about perspective. I was basically given a free car, but the problem was, it was up in Donegal. I had taken a few lessons, but was really nervous about driving in traffic, so I left it in Donegal for ages. One weekend, I bit the bullet, got the brother-in-law to accompany me and drove down - at the end of it, my legs were shaking, I was covered in sweat, but I never looked back. It's scary, sure, but once you've driven a few times you lose the overall fear and it gets much, much easier after that. You'll wonder how you ever managed without a car. If you are doing lessons, remember that the car will be plastered in learner stickers, so other drivers should give you a bit more time and space, and as stark says, the instructor won't let it get to the stage of being dangerous. I'd also agree with what he says about the one hour lessons - I found two to be be too long.

If we are throwing out rec's - I'd recommend Airport and there is an instructor there called Mark - myself and my g/f used him, and I have to say, he's brilliant, very calm and laid back, and really knows his stuff.

Good luck, and take the plunge!

Cool, i'll check them out for sure. Thanks a lot for your help Stark, really appreciate it!!

*EDIT* And thanks tbh, just spotted your reply :) Yeah i've seen a few of the Airport cars driving around, hard to miss really :) Dont know much about them but i'll check them out too. I'll just get them booked and go for it i guess... Cheers lads

Advertisement