Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just blew up my NTL cable modem - quickest replacement?

Options
  • 13-06-2007 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭

After moving around loads of PC equipment last night, I ended up mistakenly plugging the power for the speakers into my NTL cable modem - after a second out game a puff of smoke and its game over for the poor old modem. Stupid thing to do, but there you have it.

So what's the best way to go about getting a prompt replacement? Will NTL let me collect one or will they try make me wait a few weeks and then give me an appointment that's only accurate to half day, or can I just buy one myself to avoid the inevitable hassle with NTL? Just trying to get as much info together as possible before ringing NTL and going through the hell that is their customer service.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Do NTL retain ownership of the modem? Is that what's written in the contract or T&Cs? If so, ring them and tell them you switched on the modem and it went bang and now thew lights don't work. Mention nothing about the wrong adapter. They'll probably agree that it's dead and send out a replacement and ask you to return the dead one.

Try and get them to send the new one at the same time as you sending back the old, they might however want the old one first in which case you'll be out of BB for a few days/week/weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

YEah I think they do retain ownership of the modem. Dont tell them about the fact that you plugged the wrong plug in. As far as Im aware they will have to get an engineer out to you with a modem, because the engineer will have to call in the mac number on the modem and I doubt they will send it out on its own and let you call the number in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Tell em it nearly burnt your house down and your thinking of suing them that'll get you one out fairly quickly also they might give you a couple of months free service
    Snake ;)

Advertisement