Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stray pigeon

• 13-06-2007 4:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭

Hi guys.
    For nearly a week now, there's been a pigeon hanging around between our house and the next door neighbours. He looks like a regular wood pigeon, but he has tags on both feet.
    While I had the backdoor open for a while at lunchtime, he flew into the kitchen and started walking around. I'd imagine he's fairly hungry, and is getting braver in his search for food.
    I managed to camcorder his tags and zoom in to get what is written on them.
    On his left foot is an off white tag with either 6 or 9 on it (dunno if it's on upside down or not!).
    On his right foot (the tag is upside down), there's a pink tag with something along the lines of...
    GB 05 (or OS or 50) V 33.

Anyone know anything about this?
    Or does anyone know of anyone in the Cork area that I can ring? I'd hate for the little bugger to die/get killed.:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Are you sure it's a wood pigeon?

Take a look here ...

http://www.btinternet.com/~homingpigeons/ringlist.htm

.. and scroll down. Looks like it might be a lost homing pigeon from the The Royal Pigeon Racing Association. There's a phone number in the UK for them on the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭Soarer

Thanks for the reply Alun.
    I'll give the Royal Pigeon Racing Association a buzz and see what they say...the birds tag has GB on it.

P.S. I said it looks like a wood pigeon, not that it is one.:p

Soarer wrote:
    Thanks for the reply Alun.
    I'll give the Royal Pigeon Racing Association a buzz and see what they say...the birds tag has GB on it.
    Any luck?

Actually yeah, just this morning.
    Managed to get her into a cage using a trail of seed. Pure MacGyver!!

Anyway, got the number off the tag, got onto the Royal Pigeon crowd whose number I got from the link you gave me (cheers!), and they gave me the name and number of the guy who she's registered to.
    He's up in Lisburn.
    The bird was released in Skib, but obviously lost her way shur God love us.

Anyways, he's gonna try get down to Cork in a few days to collect her...he obviously wasn't expecting the phonecall so he needs a little time to organise things.

So I'll hang onto her until then, and I'll post up when she gets home.

Thanks for your help!

Great news!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 64 ✭✭2Poc

I'd say he was delighted alright - Racing Pigeons can be worth Thousands

Shoulda sent a ransom note!!;)

She's a cool little yoke though. Might even chance my arm at them after this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

2Poc wrote:
    Racing Pigeons can be worth Thousands
    Those that get lost may be worth somewhat less :rolleyes:

Rovi wrote:
    I was going to say that too .. she may be heading for the cooking pot when she gets home :eek: On the other hand, the owner probably wouldn't be going to the trouble of driving all the way down to Cork from Lisburn if that was the poor beast's intended fate :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 64 ✭✭2Poc

Alun wrote:
    I was going to say that too .. she may be heading for the cooking pot when she gets home :eek: On the other hand, the owner probably wouldn't be going to the trouble of driving all the way down to Cork from Lisburn if that was the poor beast's intended fate :)

lol - Its not necessarily about the performance of the bird but its pedigree.
    They can have pedigrees like horses & if the pedigree is good through its grand parent or parent being successful then the bird can be kept to stud rather than fly & it's offspring can be valuable.

Now that would be the life... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭micratoyota

2Poc wrote: »
    lol - Its not necessarily about the performance of the bird but its pedigree.
    They can have pedigrees like horses & if the pedigree is good through its grand parent or parent being successful then the bird can be kept to stud rather than fly & it's offspring can be valuable.

Now that would be the life... ;)

I also am in Cork city and a bird with a gold tag on one leg and a deep blue on the other leg has landed in my back It seems quiet tame doesn't fly way when you go near just trys to avoid you Put out some bread and water but she shows no interest in it even though a lot of other pigeons fly in and take it. (no rings) what should i do.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭micratoyota

Rovi wrote: »

Pigeon with a gold ring on one leg and a deep blue on the other has landed in my back and doesn't seem to want to move I have given her bread and water but she has no interest. even though some other pigeons come and take it

Advertisement