Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24 hour coffee shops

Options
  • 13-06-2007 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Are there any coffee shops open 24 hours in Dublin on the weekend?
    I'd love to be able to chill for an hour or 2 after the club/pub without having to pay a cover/go to Abrakebabra/ go to a dodgy winebar.

:cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

it's called a kitchen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Unfortunately, thanks to the vested interests of Bertie & co., the cafe-bars proposal was shot down, reducing the chances of places like this opening.

I can only imagine that they thought it would be such a shame to lose our drink bingeing culture :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Peanut wrote:
    Unfortunately, thanks to the vested interests of Bertie & co., the cafe-bars proposal was shot down, reducing the chances of places like this opening.

I remember in my late-night days, being able to go to Bewleys on Grafton St, or Kaffe Moka for food & coffee after leaving a club. I think it's more to do with violence & insurance than cafe-bar licenses. No new rules are required. Just new people :)

Ah yeah, I remember a few years ago going to Bewleys late-night also :D

If there was more choice apart from peer-pressure drink fests, then there could be an improvement in atmosphere, less violence, and more places (even non-alcohol serving) opening later.

I would like to do the same as the OP, but there really is no option at the moment to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Moda in Rathmines too.

• Advertisement

Just remembered that Sufis was also on my list of after-club food&coffee destinations. I suppose that closes early now too? Is this what counts as progress in a modern cosmopolitan city? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Blame the influence of the Vintners and Publicans at the FF tent at
    the Galway Races. It's a total shame the way drink must be the focal
    point of all social life in this country.

Blame the influence of the Vintners and Publicans at the FF tent at
    the Galway Races. It's a total shame the way drink must be the focal
    point of all social life in this country.

That's rubbish. As I've pointed out there used to be plenty of places to get food & coffee late at night. That was when FF/publicans were at their most powerful.

Blame thuggery and insurance costs. Blame the availability of taxis & night buses so people don't need to hang around after chucking out time. Blame drinking at home (OK, publicans have to take a share of the blame for that). But it's not a grand conspiracy to force people out of coffee shops and into pubs.

BendiBus wrote:
    Blame thuggery and insurance costs.
    But don't you think increased/binge alcohol consumption could be to blame for at least some of this?

Sure, there has always been a drink culture, but it seems to continue to go in the wrong direction... Irish EU's 'worst binge-drinkers' (March 07)

Peanut wrote:
    But don't you think increased/binge alcohol consumption could be to blame for at least some of this?

I agree. But I'm going to blame those doing the drinking. Personal responsibility is what's missing here. I don't want to live in a compo or nanny state where everything that goes wrong can easily be blamed on someone else.

Anyway that's all a bit off topic. What time does Starbucks (yuck!) close? Does the Manhattan still exist? Or the Gigs Place?

• Advertisement

Peanut wrote:

I agree. But I'm going to blame those doing the drinking. Personal responsibility is what's missing here. I don't want to live in a compo or nanny state where everything that goes wrong can easily be blamed on someone in authority.

Anyway that's all a bit off topic. What time does Starbucks (yuck!) close? Does the Manhattan still exist? Or the Gigs Place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 tameagdul

What time does Starbucks (yuck!) close? Does the Manhattan still exist? Or the Gigs Place?

As far as I know, they are all closed after midnight/no longer in business.

-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 tameagdul

I guess if we act like kids, we'll get treated like kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the gigs place is still open but the food is the most disgusting you will ever eat, i went there for the first time a few weeks ago and left when i saw the tripe they were serving

BendiBus wrote:
    ..What time does Starbucks (yuck!) close? ..
    10pm all week

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Hannibal_12

BendiBus wrote:
    I agree. But I'm going to blame those doing the drinking. Personal responsibility is what's missing here. I don't want to live in a compo or nanny state where everything that goes wrong can easily be blamed on someone in authority.

Manhattan's hilarious, last time I was there, bout a year ago, you have to knock on the door and then a small eldery guy lets you in, you'd really think that you were trying to get into an all you can snort coke orgy, hey, that's Dublin.

Advertisement