Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hens nesting material

Options
  • 13-06-2007 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

I have a couple of bantams in the back garden and Im currently using sawdust for the bedding in the coop in their house, but the after cutting the garden (which is very mossy) I end up with clumps of dried moss. I know the wild birds go mad for this for their nests, but is suitable for chickens?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Should be ok - for nesting spots we use clean straw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

*Never, never* use sawdust for hens - it gets into their nares (nostrils) and causes them lung problems. Use wood shavings - quite different.

Straw makes a nice cosy nest box bed, and you can usually get big bales in animal feed places. Make sure it doesn't go mouldy, as mould is bad for hens.

The moss should be grand too, as long as it's dry and not mouldy.

Treats, by the way - mine always loved the inside of peppers, both hot and sweet, anything green (and not mouldy, for the same reason), sunflower seeds, and the ultimate treat, crispy rasher rinds.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Ding Dong

Great! Thanks for the advice!

Advertisement