Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposits on Furniture

Options
  • 13-06-2007 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

I'm probably going to be ordering furniture this weekend but the delivery dates are either August or October but will obviously have to leave a deposit. How am I fixed if the company go out of business in the meantime? Not that I'm trying to jinx the company but I've heard of horror stories in the past of companies closing down and people being left with no money. Am I right is saying if it's paid by credit card you've more chance of getting your money back. I'm looking in shops like Harvey Norman and Diamond Living.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

My advice is to be careful and keep in regular contact with them
    and pay the balance a.s.a.p.

I got caught before where I had paid a deposit on a lot of bedroom
    furniture and the delivery date got pushed back (building new house)
    so they kept it all in storage ... or so they told me at the time.

Anyways, the company never once contacted me about paying the balance
    etc., and being a fool I didnt contact them - I just thought that they'd call
    if they wanted paying or if there was a problem.

When the house was ready and I went to pay the balance and organise
    delivery I was told that they had sold some of the items as the balance
    hadn't been paid. Then the items in question were out of stock and they
    said they couldn't get any more in.

In the end they took the price of the items they sold off the bill ... but
    it still left me without matching lockers for a bed.

They closed down shortly after that and reopened under a new name ...
    with the exact same staff and stock!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

hi,
    i m this situation where i m bought bed package from Harvey Norman in about 1600 and i just paid them only 300 Euro as deposit and they said 6 weeks and i m not in hurry as well as house is not ready yet (might take another 4 weeks) so you mean to say i should contact with them or do i have to wait as they said once we get in our stock we'll ring you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

datk wrote:
    I'm probably going to be ordering furniture this weekend but the delivery dates are either August or October but will obviously have to leave a deposit. How am I fixed if the company go out of business in the meantime? Not that I'm trying to jinx the company but I've heard of horror stories in the past of companies closing down and people being left with no money. Am I right is saying if it's paid by credit card you've more chance of getting your money back. I'm looking in shops like Harvey Norman and Diamond Living.

Thanks

Harvey Norman can be on the expensive side for certain otems of furniture, but they are a massive company - they are the largest furniture retailers in Aus & New Zealand - very profitable - and are using Ireland as a springboard for UK market - so I can't see any probs giveing a deposit to them.

If you are in the Naas Road area check out Famous Furniture www.famousfurniture.ie - they do left over furniture from House of Fraser John Lewis etc. Exceptional quality (nearly all solid wood rather than MDF) and prices are at 50%+ off regular prices and better still they are not made up discounts like Land of Sh1te leather and the likes. Also check out Clery's & Arnotts - always have been two of the better furniture companies

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Sidney77

i used to work in classic - stay away from it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Some things in Arnotts are very good value.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

I gave a deposit to arramount in Fonthill last Dec 31st and after been given the run around for the last couple of months it turns out they never ordered the leather suite I wanted. Don't go near them!! They were unbelievable to deal with-put phone down on me,said the line was so bad they couldnt hear me etc. It took a nasty email from me to get any response. I' now back to square one and dont know which company to trust. Anyone any comments or ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

well its really hard to say which one is trust worthy coz i order my bed in Harvy Norman and so far they don't have mattress in their stock and well i don't have any problem coz i still waiting for closing and still have two weeks but i don't know what to expect from them,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

This was a major issue when ID design went bust, a friend of mine lost a few thousand...

The thing to do is put the deposit, or the whole item for that matter, on your credit card... If you don't receive the item you will get your money back, eg if the place goes bang and you don't get what you paid for it is threated as credit card fraud...

Advertisement