Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not a happy bunny

Options
  • 13-06-2007 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭

History just raped me ... not a single one of the teachers 'predictions' came up.
    I knew Fascism in Italy, Moon Landing, Americanisation thing the Treaty (case) and dismantling etc, Civil War, Sinn Fein, 1916, 1913 Strike and Lockout like the back of my hand

None of it came up ... :( in between shock and anger right now

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Goebels

Yeah, that paper was so unpredictable.

Nothing on the rising, sinn fein, treaty, causes of civil war etc. Hitlers domestic policy was not expected, either waas the jarrow march or vichy france. US section wasn't great either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

Here's hoping for a fair German, Economics and Music paper to even out the points. At least I know my project will get the full 20%, or near enough ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

Holy crap....
    First of all - OW!! my hand is so fricking sore.
    Second of all - wtf?? Trés unpredictable alright. Nice that they put Hitler on, but the Irish essays were brutal. The only one I could do was Anglo-Irish relations...and I was so hoping for Sinn Féin. I also did the characteristics of Nazi Germany, which I think was good enough.. I talked about the economy, the violence and the propaganda, and then I stuck in a bit at the end about the foreign policy. So, maybe those two were okay. But my Cold War one was rather brutal. I didn't remember anything about sovietisation until the last five seconds, so most of my essay is about how the Berlin Blockade caused the Berlin Wall...God, its actually rubbish. Then I wrote a paragraph or two on Sovietisation... kicking myself over that.
    And I so wanted the Lockout, not the fricking GAA... *grumble*
    I needed at least a B3 going into this exam. Fingers crossed, that's all I can say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 anything1

im another pissed bunny.. you'd think that they'd have made it slighly easier since we only had one previous paper to go by.. Bad paper :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

Mary Hanafin will be getting a strongly worded letter from me soon enough ... that is if I find the energy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Selphie wrote:
    so most of my essay is about how the Berlin Blockade caused the Berlin Wall...God, its actually rubbish.
    It actually didn't.The huge influx of people leaving the USSR and going to the west through Berlin is what caused the Berlin wall.....and that didn't even happen until the late 50's.......guess you're not going to do that well!
    Still though hope you get your B3.....its what I need as well!

It actually didn't.The huge influx of people leaving the USSR and going to the west through Berlin is what caused the Berlin wall.....and that didn't even happen until the late 50's
    Em... yeah... I knew that. Hence why I said it was rubbish. I was just running out of time and stuck for things to say. So I said that the Berlin Blockade was the catalyst for all the other events of the Cold War and gave a brief description of them.
    ......guess you're not going to do that well!
    Thanks for the vote of confidence though. Just what I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭fitzgese

Like what was that all about! i went in to the exam trusting an experienced teacher and i come out of the exam hall planning his murder. i am so disappointed with that paper it is unreal. i was told for a FACT that questions on the key personalities was just for pass. there was no hope in hell about them coming up. 3 came up. and then all the predicitions he made were wrong. the eastern question was a sure thing, the north had to come up, question on the documents was going to be about the wider, irish ireland movement, bismarck was going to be on the paper(foreign policy not just franco-german tensions), the treaty was a sure thing, as was something on the economy in ireland 1920-1939, there was no way in hell that wilhelm could come up and art and litature in ww1 could never, ever, ever come up. it did, well kind of did but in a much worse way. i could go on and on. i really did think i was sorted before the exam, now all i want to do is kill my teacher. why did i ever listen to him?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Cousin it

Selphie wrote:

Thanks for the vote of confidence though. Just what I need.

I wouldn't worry what one guy says, and tbh his post was clumsily worded given that the topic of discussion is 'unhappy bunnies' and I think a little sensitivity wouldn't have gone astray.
    There are many interpretations of the event and there is no absolute statement that x caused y in a historical context because there are so many factors to take into account.
    As soon as East Germany was setup people started to leave in droves, the wall was a response to a combination of the U2 spy plane being shot down over Soviet territory and the Allies failure to recognise the GDR, and was Khruschev solution to the exodus.
    The wall was leftovers from the blockade as a result of the ongoing tensions much the same as WWII was the sequel to the cliffhanger that was WWI. It's history not maths so there's always different ways of looking at things.
    I'd say you did better than you think.

Cousin it wrote:
    I wouldn't worry what one guy says, and tbh his post was clumsily worded given that the topic of discussion is 'unhappy bunnies' and I think a little sensitivity wouldn't have gone astray.
    There are many interpretations of the event and there is no absolute statement that x caused y in a historical context because there are so many factors to take into account.

The wall was leftovers from the blockade as a result of the ongoing tensions much the same as WWII was the sequel to the cliffhanger that was WWI. It's history not maths so there's always different ways of looking at things.
    I'd say you did better than you think.

Thanks a lot. That's really really nice of you. :)

• Advertisement

Cousin it wrote:
    tbh his post was clumsily worded
    Right.....we'll its only half 6 and i've already been up for over 12 hours.....so of course my english is going to suffer.Still though I maintain that it was a quite well worded post.

Anyways Selphie I'm sure if you mentioned it was only a catalyst you'll be grand, its just your post made it seem as though you said the airlift was directly responsible for the wall.....even though theres a decade between them.I'm sure you'll be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Yeah, there's gonna be a good bit of clumsiness in typing this evenin mefeels since most people's right/left hands aren't functional atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ifyougotthegrap

History was absolutely awful. I had an niggling feeling that perhaps some of last years stuff would make a re-appearance (I learnt my lesson from getting absolutely effed in the butt by geography) but still, wilheims naval policy for nation states& international tensions?!! :mad: abewoajaewabeaoajf.
    abewaoajewbajaewb :mad:
    NOT FAIR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Eh, 1916 did come up.... Who do you think Patrick Pearse is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Goebels

I don't think ANYONE would have predicted an entire question on Pearse, that was incredibly random.

Okay, people were predicting the impact of the rising. And that didn't come up.

:rolleyes:

In fairness though, it was about his aims, not his life story. Now, I talked about both his attitude to education and St. Enda's as well as his devotion to nationalism and his willingness to offer his life as a blood sacrifice. However, you could have simply taken his views on nationalism and talked about nationalism in general around that time as well as the idea of a blood sacrifice and talk about 1916 for a while....

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭cheerio

I did horribly! :( I stayed up for hours last night learning the rise of Sinn Fein and the Treaty inside out, and neither of them came up! I wan't even able to attempt that question!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Ah now, wasn't completely out of the blue, DEB mocks..'Assess pearse's role as as a Nationalist icon.' I loved that paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Cousin it

Selphie wrote:
    Thanks a lot. That's really really nice of you. :)

No worries.

Enemy Of Fate - yeah sorry, perhaps that was a bit pointed, the clumsiness thing was in reference to the blatant NO you gave selphie about the essay not your typing skills, I'm not one to talk in that regard.

In any case, you're right that we've all been up too long, naps all round!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

It actually didn't.The huge influx of people leaving the USSR and going to the west through Berlin is what caused the Berlin wall.....and that didn't even happen until the late 50's.......guess you're not going to do that well!
    Still though hope you get your B3.....its what I need as well!

eh... thats a little harsh, no need to rub it in!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Arctic_Monkeh

I wrote 16 1/2 pages overall.

some of it was pure waffle.

But i get feeling quantity means alot more in History. everything you write gest marked if its relevent

Seinas wrote:
    eh... thats a little harsh, no need to rub it in!!
    Why does everyone keep saying it was harsh?I said I hope they get their B3!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

yeah it was fairly crappy... for that feckin anglo irish question what was with the dates??? 26 years in 40 mins???is that even possible! christ and my teacher was standing there goin yeah it was a lovely paper wasnt it?? i really wanted the treaty to come up....dammit...stupid lying teachers...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rjt

Why does everyone keep saying it was harsh?I said I hope they get their B3!!
    It came across like:
    Selphie: I got answer x. I'm not sure if it's right, but I need a B3.
    Enemy of Fate: No, you're completely wrong. Good luck with that B3!
    :P

It didn't help that you said "looks like your not going to do that well". Selphie displayed remarkably restraint IMHO.

Since when did everyone get so sensitive around here?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

Testing times, emotions are high...

fonpokno wrote:
    yeah it was fairly crappy... for that feckin anglo irish question what was with the dates??? 26 years in 40 mins???is that even possible!(

Tell me about it. I stopped at 1945 though, hadn't studied past there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Be@st

I studied the Civil War, War Of Independence, Treaty Organizations, and because of the General Elections this year I suspected they might put the Constitution on the paper and spent an hour or so going over the main points.

Guess what... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

fonpokno wrote:
    yeah it was fairly crappy... for that feckin anglo irish question what was with the dates??? 26 years in 40 mins???is that even possible!(
    They covered the 26 years really well in Exam & Career guide and condensed it into 9-10 easy points. Thank God I learned it! I didn't have much to say concerning 1923-31 though, except for the Balfour Declaration and the Statue of Westminster. I just hope I got all the dates right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

ha i just skipped over everythin that happened and just went straight into fianna fail and crapped on about the economic war or somethin and how britain didnt really like us much during that...hahaha it was just hilariously awful!!!

Advertisement