Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not a happy bunny

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Balfour Declaration and the Statue of Westminster.

Briefly mentioned them, only by name, and said that they did little to change relations between the two countries. Now that I think of it, may not have included Balfour...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭elefant

I think the only thing after 1945 is John A Costello's coalition completing the steps to a republic.

I had anglo-irish done really well. Nothin else came up. So much for church/state realtions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Arctic_Monkeh

In Anglo-Irish q, only mentioned CnG briefly. Jus boundary commission and statute of Westminister....The FF, knew dev like the back of my hand!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Cousin it

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Since when did everyone get so sensitive around here?

I suppose when they looked for informed opinion and support instead of smugness and ignorance.

A tall order seemingly....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Cousin it wrote:
    I suppose when they looked for informed opinion and support instead of smugness and ignorance.

A tall order seemingly....:rolleyes:
    Smugness and ignorance?What the **** are you smoking?If you think my post was full of smugness and ignorance, then quite frankly you suck at analysing.

• Advertisement

But my Cold War one was rather brutal. I didn't remember anything about sovietisation until the last five seconds, so most of my essay is about how the Berlin Blockade caused the Berlin Wall...God, its actually rubbish. Then I wrote a paragraph or two on Sovietisation... kicking myself over that.

Opens with humility and continues on a vein of self-deprecation throughout. A clear message of "sympathise with me," I would have thought anyway. Not necessarily in a needy way but in one of the fundamental ways people bother to post on an internet forum - sharing interests or work and seeking support after a trial of some kind.

Now lets see what you had to say in response to that, keeping in mind she didn't address you directly and as far as we all know she doesn't know you personally or biblically.

It actually didn't.The huge influx of people leaving the USSR and going to the west through Berlin is what caused the Berlin wall.....and that didn't even happen until the late 50's.......guess you're not going to do that well!
    Still though hope you get your B3.....its what I need as well!

You open with an offhand comment that salts an already sore wound selphie is bearing. Then you express a simplistic and subjective take on the topic, one which selphie has already accepted was a potentially weak one for..... her we'll say (sorry if I'm wrong on that one!).
    Then you add insult to injury with a superfluous (and HERE is the clumsy part of which I spake) : ...guess you're not going to do that well! ....lovely.

Then you finish with a hollow and half-hearted attempt at empathy with "Still though hope you get your B3," doesn't really ring true given the preceeding lines, does it?

But hey! that's not to say you're a bad guy, but perhaps take into account the lack of tone or mood discernable from a post and take better care with how you word things. Then here's no need for people to feel bad, people to feel defensive or people to feel dismayed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

This isn't an emotional support forum....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Tomlowe

in fairness, its not a be a jerk forum either

This is true, nor is it a forum for arrogance or smugness, it's just for sharing info and experience in a polite and respectful way. I'm glad you recognise that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

With the anglo-irish question was it supposed to be a balanced answer over the 26 years? Or are you sort of free to pick and choose? Similar to most of you, I did a small bit on CnaG, concentrated mostly on Dev and FF, and then a little bit on the inter-party government declaring a republic. To me, 90% of the the important info about anglo-irish relations is under FF rule... there wasnt a whole lot to say about anything else?

As for the rest of the paper, I was fairly happy actually.. I recieved a few good predictions! I learnt:
    - The GAA (came up)
    - Dismantling the treaty
    - Economic War (these formed the majority of my anglo-irish answer)
    - Lenin + Stalin (i barely covered that section so i just winged it on the nazi question)
    -Montgomery + Civil Rights (my 6 page learnt off masterpiece)
    -Johnson + Vietnam

So I think I got off fairly well considering the small amount of work I did! Hoping for a C1 or a B3... sorry to hear so many people were unhappy with the paper! best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

JC 2K3 wrote:

I wasn't looking for "emotional support" actually. But neither was I looking for someone to say, "Yep, you really did do as badly as you thought you did!!" I agree, my post was a little ambiguous and it could have seemed that I thought the Berlin Blockade was a direct cause of the Berlin Wall, but even still I don't see how that merits a response like, "guess you're not going to do that well!" Fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion, but a little tact really wouldn't have gone astray in particular when I thought it would've seemed from the tone of my post that I was already worried about the exam. It's quite possibly true that I'm not going to do that well but for someone I don't even know to rub it in .... you've got to admit, that is a little bit harsh.
    But whatever. The thread has gone slightly off-topic and anyway, there isn't anything I can do about the exam now. Cousin it, thanks a lot for pleading my case. And yes, lol, I am a girl.

Well perhaps EoF could have been a little more sensitive, but the big deal that was made out of what he said was ridiculous.

The Internets: Serious Business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Personally, I think it's disgraceful the way certain people on these forums just let their egos run rampant, in some vain attempt to feel superior, and this has been happening since last September. Obviously Selphie is distressed by her History exam, and if you guys can't even do the decent thing and say thats it's ok or console her, then don't bother saying ****ing anything.

I've seen loads of people have a really hard time trying to cope with the stress of the Leaving Cert. and the last thing people need after a bad exam are narcissistic ass wipes, looking for some petty ego-boost. Grow the fúck up, I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Jay112

JC 2K3 wrote:

Talking about insensitive!:mad: You have some nerve, Well said ZorbaTehZ, Well feckn said!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

but the big deal that was made out of what he said was ridiculous.

Unfortunately it appears that you just don't grasp the concept that some people are indeed under enormous amounts of stress during exam time and what you saw there were people who recognise this stress try and console the OP. Just because you aren't stressing out over your Leaving Cert doesn't mean that others aren't and it certainly doesn't mean that you and your ego are in any way superior to those that are worrying sick about their exams.
    I've seen loads of people have a really hard time trying to cope with the stress of the Leaving Cert. and the last thing people need after a bad exam are narcissistic ass wipes, looking for some petty ego-boost. Grow the fúck up, I say.

Hear, Hear

ZorbaTehZ wrote:
    Oh God, his comment was a small bit insensitive, he wasn't knocking anyone intentionally. The fact he said "I hope you got your B3" is indicative that it was not narcissistic and that he probably did not mean for it to come across as such.

As for growing the fúck up, well while I admit I am not innocent of coming across as arrogant on these boards sometimes and probably do need to grow up a bit, those who have made such a big deal about this need to grow the fúck up too and learn to let things go and not take the internet so seriously.

They're taking their exams seriously and don't appreciate when others (despite the best of intentions) knock them in their efforts.

Those who have taken this seriously are trying to ensure maturity of posting so that there aren't needless and pointless debates of whether or not someone was being an @r5ehole for the sake of it, while also engendering a sense of online community as opposed to carelessly treading on others work and/or opinions.

Now back to History: what do people think about relating John Lennon in importance to, say, the Holocaust or the Cold War, by giving him an essay worth equal marks on the history course. Seemed a bit odd to me when he came up on our mocks.
    I love music and all that, but seems a bit inappropriate to have a rockstar, however influential, on the history course.
    Just me?

Jesus some of you people need to calm the **** down and pull the sticks out of you asses.Perhaps I should have been a little nicer, but overall I feel my post was perfectly fine.Also when I said I hope she gets her B3, I genuinely meant it.I want everyone (who isn't applying for the same course as my first choice!!) to get the grades to want, and there was no sarcasm whatsoever in that post.I mean jesus Selphie doesn't even seem to care that much, its just everyone else who is making a massive deal out of something very, very small (a mountain out of a molehill indeed).

Oh and ZorbaTehZ, you seriously, SERIOUSLY need to calm down.Go drink some herbal tea, have a bath with bubbles and listen to some ocean sounds or something.Either that or go seek professional help.Either will be fine.

Cousin it wrote:
    I love music and all that, but seems a bit inappropriate to have a rockstar, however influential, on the history course.
    Just me?

Actually I wonder if you wrote stuff that was factually true and relevant bout Lennon, but that wasn't on the course, would you still get marks....I'd assume you'd have to, but its an interesting question.

Cousin it wrote:
    As opposed to a film director(Leni Riefenstahl), a poet(Wilfred Owen), a comedian(Charlie Chaplin) or a stained glass artist(Evie Hone)?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Tomlowe wrote:
    in fairness, its not a be a jerk forum either

I laughed...

JC 2K3 wrote:
    As opposed to a film director(Leni Riefenstahl), a poet(Wilfred Owen), a comedian(Charlie Chaplin) or a stained glass artist(Evie Hone)?
    Ah well in fairness Leni Riefenstahl did play a truly important role, which is more than can be said for the rest of 'em.Still though I don't think they'd ever ask you to write a full essay on her...not enough info.

Oh and ZorbaTehZ, you seriously, SERIOUSLY need to calm down.Go drink some herbal tea, have a bath with bubbles and listen to some ocean sounds or something.Either that or go seek professional help.Either will be fine.

I think ZorbaTehZ made a pretty fair point actually. What he(?) said is quite true, and definitely does not require seeking professional help. That, quite frankly, is ridiculous. And yep, its true that you could have been nicer, more sensitive in fact, in your reply to my post. I don't think it was making a mountain out of a molehill. I reacted because I thought what you said was a little inappropriate given the situation and others did too. It happens on boards every single day, so its hardly new.
    Unfortunately it appears that you just don't grasp the concept that some people are indeed under enormous amounts of stress during exam time and what you saw there were people who recognise this stress try and console the OP. Just because you aren't stressing out over your Leaving Cert doesn't mean that others aren't and it certainly doesn't mean that you and your ego are in any way superior to those that are worrying sick about their exams.
    Again, hear hear.

Actually I wonder if you wrote stuff that was factually true and relevant bout Lennon, but that wasn't on the course, would you still get marks....I'd assume you'd have to, but its an interesting question.
    If it was relevant, then certainly. Depends on the question, I suppose. Personally, I hate writing about people...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

I crammed unmercifully for this, and had no idea what was coming up, so it all worked out.

Predictions only let you down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Predictions are a gamble and if one loses their Leaving cert bet then thats unfortunate but in the end only one person can be blamed .Yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Geranium

I thought that the American and European sections were okay, but I was very, very lucky to be just about able to do one question on the Irish section. You shouldn't worry too much about it though, because all of the history teachers thought it was an unfair paper, and the marking scheme will be adjusted accordingly. There could be hope yet!

Ah well in fairness Leni Riefenstahl did play a truly important role, which is more than can be said for the rest of 'em.Still though I don't think they'd ever ask you to write a full essay on her...not enough info.

I think in one of the sample papers it asks a question on her but its something like: Discuss the role of Leni Riefenstahl and/or Joseph Goebbels in the Nazi State etc. etc. so yeah, you couldn't really get more than 3 pages on her alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Arctic_Monkeh

Selphie wrote:
    I think in one of the sample papers it asks a question on her but its something like: Discuss the role of Leni Riefenstahl and/or Joseph Goebbels in the Nazi State etc. etc. so yeah, you couldn't really get more than 3 pages on her alone.

Hear hear, I only mentioned her very briefly when talking about characteristics of Nazi state.....regards to propaganda. Being hired by Goebbels yada yada yada...anyone elsedo that?

I agree, way to hard to write a full essay on Leni....

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Mackleton

So since most people were kind of thrown for a loop with the history do we all think the marking could be sympathetic or will the department just say
    " **** that, we are entitled to ask anything on the course which you are all obliged to cover, not our problem that yee gambled..." because I could actually see that happening.

• Advertisement
Advertisement