Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History (H) - General Opinions

Options
  • 13-06-2007 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

Personally, I think it was a good paper without ever being great. Some absolutely mental questions, e.g. Wilfred Owen, but some nice ones like the Nazi one.

How'd ye fare on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

It really catered for the topics our class did. Did Pearse, Nazis and Civil Rights. Lovely. Confident of B1/A2.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Whats that I hear? Little stream like sound or something. Ah, its a piece of piss:D...sorry!

Nah, that'll come back to bite me inthe ass, but when I did my longest ever document q., 8 paragraphs in under 40 mins for two essays, and then a 9 paragrapher, theres no reson not to be confident. Maybe an A, definately should be a high B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭jaydigity

Lads, stop depressing me with this "it was a cinch" business!

Did anyone else notice that the 2006 paper actually came up again, esp in nation states Q?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

I'd say I got a high B since I fared very well on most questions. Though I'm a bit disappointed women in the workforce and the motor car didn't appear. I mean Wilfred Owen like... what were they at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

jaydigity wrote:
    Lads, stop depressing me with this "it was a cinch" business!

Did anyone else notice that the 2006 paper actually came up again, esp in nation states Q?
    Yeah, and the GAA came up for ordinary again. Not nice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭snapjiggyfluff

anglo-irish question was good, nazi characteristics was good, GAA was good, sovietisation and berlin crisis was good, overall, good!! Not gonna make a prediction but I was happy!

Yeah, and the GAA came up for ordinary again. Not nice.

Oooooh, that's seriously nasty.
    It think, this being the 2nd yr of course and all, that they were just trying to set an example and stop people cutting down on course.Shame they've just f****d up my leaving cert in teh process though!

Gaa up again...thank god the same couldnt be said for elections on HL.

Jaydigity, cant say it was bad of them to stop people cutting down on the course. Everyone has the same amount of study, its a large course, its what has to be done. IMO, it just seperated the people who knew the broad range well, from the people who didnt. There is always going to be one xam for people that'll appear to screw everyhting up, it wont happen. Never go by teachers predictions is the leson from history I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rjt

Nice paper for me, a lot of what I studied came up (Nazism, Franco-German tensions, Anglo-Irish relations), although as jaydigity said, some surprising overlap with last year. My exam technique was pretty poor, running out of time for my last question (Nazism), but a B is a strong possibility. could've done better, but given that this will possibly not be one of my six, I'm happy enough.

Mushy wrote:

Jaydigity, cant say it was bad of them to stop people cutting down on the course. Everyone has the same amount of study, its a large course, its what has to be done. IMO, it just seperated the people who knew the broad range well, from the people who didnt. There is always going to be one xam for people that'll appear to screw everyhting up, it wont happen. Never go by teachers predictions is the leson from history I think.

No, that's a fair point and I accept it, but given the difficulty of answering on Woodrow Wilson, it was quite cruel to put two of last years questions up, esp given the range of the course. It's v. valid though that ppl can't and shouldnt cut down the workload so radically

• Advertisement

Good point there too. Was very surprised to see Wilhelms navy policy again, especially as, just like you said, the broadness of it. Lucky it was one of the few things I did study from that topic, otherwise I'd prob be in the same boat as you. Woodrow is just a ***** to answer on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Agri_trust

Everything was grand except the nations states question, might as well be the same as last years question, because of that id say I got a Low B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Taffy89

i thought it was such an obscure paper..like anglo-irish relations was such a long time span..basically dismantling the treaty AND neutrality

and neverin a million years did I think id see Hitlers domestic butwe've covered hitler very well I could cover it..

Was annoyed bout vatican two though..only learnt it this morning so i t was kinda thin..So i just hope it isn't marked up against girls in my class!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

**** it. I'm only after noticing that they asked for Anglo-Irish relations until '49 and not '39. That's a good few marks gone.

They hardly deal with anglo-irish relations after the war, so that'd be 1945. So neutrality was my last paragraph on that. Kind of odd, cos the detail in the book just ceases to exist like WW2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

It wasn't BAD, but my course cutting down was punished(and rightly so, I admit).

Documents were píss, close to 100% for me I think.

Despite ALL the time and effort I put into learning the politics of the Pursuit of Sovereignty over the last week, putting emphasis on the Treaty and Sinn Féin, Patrick Pearse and Anglo-Irish relations came up. Now I actually had left out Anglo Irish Relations, so I did Pearse. I'm not sure how I fared there. Got about 8 paragraphs in, wrote about the political scene being very different before Patrick Pearse and the first wave of Republicansim emerged, then wrote about his cultural beliefs, then about his view on education and St. Endas and finally his belief in blood sacrifice and 1916. Wasn't too bad really.

Nation States question on Wilhelm 2 was fairly easy, but it was the one section I hardly went over. In fact, last night one of the only sections of politics in that book I left out was the Moroccan Crisises, which I therefore had to cram into one vague paragraph.... Was able to tie Bismarck and the Franco Prussian War into the Franco-German tensions bit though, which was nice. Only got like 7 paragraphs, but they were long ones and it was my longest essay.

D+D's question was the Nazis, which was easy, but at the same time I probably should have written more and expanded on propoganda. Still though, I had 9(short) paragraphs.

Hopefully I have my B.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

My first thought when I saw the history paper: Huh the GAA came up, thats weird.Huh the irish seciton isn't so bad......OMG WTF THIS ISN'T WHAT WAS MEANT TO COME UP!!!I DON'T KNOW ANY OF THIS EUROPEAN HISTORY!!ARGHHHHH!!!

......After a few seconds of quiet reflection my thoughts had changed to: OMG WTF I CAN'T DO ANY OF THIS ****ING ****!!!!HOW THE **** AM I GOING TO GET MY B3 NOW?!??!?!?YOU ****ING BUNCH OF USELESS ****ING ****ERS!!!!

However after about 5 minutes of silent sobbing I realised that my tears weren't changing the paper into something better I decided i'd better get started.I foolishly wasted 45 minutes of the document question, which left me pushed for time later, but I feel I answered it quite well.I did the irish question bout Irish-Anglo treaty and comfortably wrote 3 full pages of my tiny, tiny writing.Only ended up writing bout a paragraph on the actual treaty dismantlement...now it was a half page paragraph but still.Anyways the question on the Nazi state went well enough.....just ended up writing random stuff bout the education changes and hitler youth, and then a paragraph on Gobbels and his crazy ass ideas, and then a paragraph on Leni Riefenstal and then a final paragraph on german rearmarment and stuff, and of course a decent conclusion....it may sound quite random....and it is.....but I still think it went quite well overall.

Anyways final question.....THE ****ING WESTERN ECONOMIES CAME UP, BUT IN A QUESTION I COULDN'T ANSWER!!!!ARGHHHH!!!MOST.FRUSTRATING.THING.EVER!!!....So I just did the sovietisation/berlin airlift question...and it went decently enough I got 6 decent paragraphs, but I was forced to use bullet points for the conclusion cause I was already 5 minutes after the time.Also how the **** did the sovietisation of Eastern Europe come up AGAIN?!?!?!?It came up last year, in the mocks, and this year!!!There are other ****ing aspects of the war you know!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Agri_trust

**** it. I'm only after noticing that they asked for Anglo-Irish relations until '49 and not '39. That's a good few marks gone.

Yeah a good few people in my class got caught with that to. I did the one on the premotion of cultural identity. Only wrote two sentances about the north, all I could remember was the orange order.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

A lot of people here seem annoyed with it, but for the stuff we convered, it's like they wrote the paper with us in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I did OL and the GAA thing didn't bother me tbh. I didnt study at all for History and still found that a very easy question - others questions were tougher though.

• Advertisement

I did the irish question bout Irish-Anglo treaty and comfortably wrote 3 full pages of my tiny, tiny writing.Only ended up writing bout a paragraph on the actual treaty dismantlement...
    Was the question not on Anglo-Irish relations from 1922-1949?

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Was the question not on Anglo-Irish relations from 1922-1949?
    Indeed it was.....and I believe that the dismantling of the treaty that bound the 2 countries is an extremely significant part of the anglo irish relations in that period.

Yes, but you said you wrote about the treaty itself and only a paragraph on the dismantlement....

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

overall it went ok, thought the contxtualisiation was a bit weird, but just tied it into politics..

Did anglo Irish relations, Nazis and Woodrow Wilson (pretty much a whole essay on the peace settlement!)

After the intitial panic of "oh god where is propaganda and women in ww1" it was ok...not gonna predict, it could have gone so much worse but it wasnt great either!

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Yes, but you said you wrote about the treaty itself and only a paragraph on the dismantlement....
    Ah so I did....jesus I really am wrecked.Well you know what I mean anyways.The whole relationship thing between the 2 of 'em.**** I need some coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Went well, or it went bad. I went through the Anglo - Irish relations, doing a short introductory paragraph outlining my points, then started off with CnG, I basically said relations were amiable. Then moved onto DeValera and covered everything.

For Nation States, I sweated a bit, I had covered Wilhelm and Bismarck and that covered me, but I thought the question was awkward, I mean, it literally left you with, talks about these options and only these ones, I ended the essay with the point that, to fully understand the impact of these topics we must also understand other issues related at the time, such as Wilhelm's movement in the Boer war [blah blah blah], hopefully that counted. I also included a brief section in France - German relations regarding the Franco - Prussian war and French desire for revenge which ultimately culminated in World war One, and how the two countries were inv0olved in backing a country who had interests in the Balkans. I then ended with a whole, these issues served to create an "atmosphere of war" then finally my whole, other issues, comment.

I personally, didn't like the Nazi question but i did it anyway, for me it covered too many possible areas, to cover the characterisations was a bit annoying, as I had to interpret what I knew to suit my needs, organisation and aggression were my main characterisations. I said the foreign policy was aggressive as were his moves to remove opponents [Rohm, Communists] and sadly I struggled for time, eventually not actually getting to cover social and economic matters, but I got a good bit on the Foreign Policy.

Documents was OK, the 1,2,3 were simple, I mean, I really easy, as was the contextualisation, but again time hurt me, I think I spent too much time on Anglo-Irish relations.

There was a glare on the clock, and I couldn't see the dang time,I was annoying as this was the first time I hadn't bothered with a watch, and if i can't get proper timing on my essays, I waste time, oh well, could have been worse, saying that there was in each section, only one question I could do, could have attempted Russia's involvement in World war II, had an essay on that.

I am probably worrying because our teacher is a hard marker [I hope :p] and removed marks if we forgot one single point in an essay, which I did in my D&D one, a few times, I didn't even mention autobahn or employment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Be@st

I dropped down to Ordinary Level and I can say, indefinably got a high B, or a low A. I had a look at the 2006 papers and didn't even bother to look at the GAA, as there was "no chance in hell" it would show up again...

I think that was a bit sly of the Exam Commission.

I had a look at the Honor's papers and found it didn't look as hard as I thought it would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

EoF, hope you talked about the impact the Treaty had on affairs, however minimal, rathar than the story, you would get more marks for that at least.

EoF, hope you talked about the impact the Treaty had on affairs, however minimal, rathar than the story, you would get more marks for that at least.
    Eh you know I probably didn't.**** it all.Hopefully I stuck something like it somewhere.''This made the british mad''.Yeah probably was more in keeping with the question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Arctic_Monkeh

Sweet Holy, Gaa came up again in Ord, imagine 1885 elections......:eek: :eek: :eek:

Advertisement