Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AntiVir V. Avast

• 13-06-2007 5:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭

I'm using AntiVir Guard as virus protection at the moment, but the popup ads are just getting too invasive. Back in the day, it used to be a fairly subtle thing, but now a big, badly designed popup appears, and often tabs me out of a fullscreen program.

It's annoying, to say the least. Does anyone know if the other free virus scanners have similar adware attached? If not, are they any good?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I use AntiVir as well, bloody annoying with that stupid Uncle Sam popup all the time! :mad:I'm thinking of changing, used to have AVG but that broke twice on me during an update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

heh, yeah, it was the uncle sam popup which really made me change my mind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

use AVG best free AV program by a country mile, IMO

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I use Avast! and think it's good.

I've often heard boardsies recommending NOD32, though it's not free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Avast has no adware all you do is register once a year to use it, they just send you a serial key best free scanner IMO.

NOD32 is also very good highly recommended but it is commercial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭prospect

I have installed Avast on over 30 personal machines and have never had a virus on any of them (I set up pcs for friends and family).

As said, you just need to re-register every 14 months, I think, and there is no ad's or pop-ups. It is very neat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

There s a great article in this months PC advisor about av software
    Kaspersky wins out even beats nod 32 overall
    Test s were carried out by a german comapany and included things
    detections rate, disinfection success etc.
    It just so happnes that I've always used kaspersky so....the russians create most of the adware/malware so they should know:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

kaspersky has been the best anti-virus by far for quite a while, and will remain like that. unfortunately it isn't cheap :)
    but if you wish to pay for an anti-virus, thats the one to get.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Would a normal Joe Bloggs benefit by choosing the likes of Kaspersky over the freebies like Avast?

Like, even though Avast and the likes might say there are no virii on the system, it doesn't really mean that they're not there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

kaspersky has been the best anti-virus by far for quite a while, and will remain like that. unfortunately it isn't cheap :)
    but if you wish to pay for an anti-virus, thats the one to get.

Marxcomputers sell it ,I was contemplating heading over and getting a copy for my new machine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

kaspersky is extremely easy to use, it's perfect for Mr. Joe Bloggs and for people who know their computer stuff. it is superior to pretty much all AV's in every way, and PC Security experts use it's webscanner to tell if a users PC is clean cause their scanner is THAT good.

You can get a 30 day trial of it if you want to check it out first. But if you plan on playing for anti-virus protection, it is the best there is. I've used it for around 4 years and have never had any bad malware/virus. Also it's so good that a lot of AV's cant get rid of some malware, however kaspersky can get pretty much rid of everything.

Advertisement