Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband survey

Options
  • 13-06-2007 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am studying in Trinity for my Masters in MIS. As part of the course I am writing my thesis on Broadband in Ireland; peoples perceptions on the technology, the delivery bottleneck, the LLU issues, eircom's ownership of the fixed line, demand etc.....

If you have a moment; I would appreciate it if you could take some time to complete the questionnaire at the link posted below.
    All answers are confidential.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=wluyEGyE8B67BCM71KSWeA%3d%3d

Thanks in advance
    Kevin

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Mods. I've stuck this for a month to help this guy out. If I forget can you unstick it sometime in July? Ta!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

thats mine done for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Done :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭martin84

I love surveys! done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Finished too. If possible I would like if you posted a link to the completed survey. It might help some of those involved in policy / provision whim I'm sure spend a minute or two in Boards now and then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Nordie

I'm done too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Missing Questions:
    Desired and currently experienced
    Port Blocking
    Upload speed
    Download speed
    Cap
    Latency/ping

Lsit of suppliers a bit short.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭mickzer

OK! That's me done.
    mickzer.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

Ahh..another BB survey. Done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Done. I gave comreg and eircom a bit of a lash at the end. :)

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Broadman

Thanks folks ,

Some really good stuff being contributed to date. Thats what I'm trying to get under at the end of the day. Hopefully after three or four weeks of the survey being up the "evidence" will speak for itself. I really appreciate all the contributions to date. Thanks.

As suggested; I will make the results of the survey available for public consumption somehow. In all likelyhood I'll post the high and lowlights to this thread.

Broadman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I filled out the survey. Good luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Tell ya what, glad to contribute, but if you can convince ComReg that the comments posted are the true state of BB in Ireland, then you'll be even more welcome.

Best of luck, though - hope your course tutor doesn't dismiss your findings and say "that's rubbish - ComReg, eircom and the Government say everything's just fine". ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

filled the survey out.

I guess one of the biggest problem alternative providers have (be this wireless providers or LLU providers) is that a lot of people still think, that anything but eircom is illegal or unsafe. And with eircom's actions, they certainly try to uphold that attitude.

Slowly, they'll loose that though, because more and more people don't want to deal with them at all anymore.

/Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Done and dusted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

ok just finished it, good look with yr thesis

now young man....can you tell me where do all the nice trinity totty hang out these days;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Filled it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭pbirney

Good luck with broadband survey Kevin. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭HAPPYGIRL

Done. Hope it helps. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

Done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭tak

For a guy of his age and situation (college) I was disappointed that he did not show more spunk and lip in laying out the real problems in the BB problem.
    A budding excuse manufacturer in the Dept of Comms ?

"For a guy of his age and situation (college)"

Its a post grad masters I'm pursuing. I should not need to expand this point any further.

"I was disappointed that he did not show more spunk and lip in laying out the real problems in the BB problem."

This is what I'm trying to get to the bottom of. There is any number of rants available on the web blasting Eircom, comreg, the government, everyone except the consumer... I wanted to get past the tired "eircom own the network and wont let anyone else use it". Whats not popular is to talk about the capital costs involved in running a broadband exchange, personnel and equipment, the realities of running commercial organisation, LLU has come a long way in the last 6 months, more to do. In addition apathy on the subject
    of broadband plays a part. People complain about the cost yet the pubs are full; is there a cultural element at play here?. I'm not looking at this from the point of view of any vested interests, nor did I wish to just add to the popular "anti-eircom\government\" position. It was a genuine attempt to get underneath all the blurb thats out there and see what fell out of it......

"A budding excuse manufacturer in the Dept of Comms"

Frankly; unhelpfull.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭pbirney

Broadman wrote:
    "For a guy of his age and situation (college)"

Its a post grad masters I'm pursuing. I should not need to expand this point any further.

"I was disappointed that he did not show more spunk and lip in laying out the real problems in the BB problem."

This is what I'm trying to get to the bottom of. There is any number of rants available on the web blasting Eircom, comreg, the government, everyone except the consumer... I wanted to get past the tired "eircom own the network and wont let anyone else use it". Whats not popular is to talk about the capital costs involved in running a broadband exchange, personnel and equipment, the realities of running commercial organisation, LLU has come a long way in the last 6 months, more to do. In addition apathy on the subject
    of broadband plays a part. People complain about the cost yet the pubs are full; is there a cultural element at play here?. I'm not looking at this from the point of view of any vested interests, nor did I wish to just add to the popular "anti-eircom\government\" position. It was a genuine attempt to get underneath all the blurb thats out there and see what fell out of it......

"A budding excuse manufacturer in the Dept of Comms"

Frankly; unhelpfull.

Well said Broadman!

College students and staff do not jeopardise their positions by merely raising issues or expressing points of view. People working in the telecoms sector may well find themselves in trouble with fatasses upstairs for doing so.

As an IS student you must have as good an idea as anyone as to what the real obstacles are to b/band development in Ireland.

This subject is well worth a really good proper survey.
    No irrelevant questions about respondants' jobs, educational standards, etc.
    Plenty of detail as to what consumers are actually getting from their "broadband" - outages, service, prices, areas, by-products and so on.
    Also what people want to get from what they'd regard as a viable b/band service - based on their work & home needs and what they can/will pay.

You raise the question of how such services would be financed and managed.
    Why did you not raise that one in the survey ? A lot of us may have had elaborate ideas on that one.
    Have you yourself looked at all at how the b/band league leaders funded their networks ?

From a purely academic standpoint, your supervisor at TCD is unlikely to sign off on such a flimsy survey for a student going forward for an MSc in MIS.
    Honestly, I've seen better surveys done by 2nd years in secondary school.
    And they were all done by hand. No monkeys used.
    Just sole-rubber and sore fingers from biros.

Take your finger out, Kevo.
    And do this type of job right.

The real obstacles?, Well; that comes down to your position in the market/industry. Obviously those with an axe to grind will cite different reasons for the slow delivery of broadband. Its probably worth mentioning that Ireland just about doubled the OECD average for broadband uptake in the first three months of this year. Anyone care to offer a reason for this?

Given your apparent disapproval of the survey in general; I suspect you skipped most of the questions. I also felt this comment was unfair as lots of good work went into the design of the survey; not only by myself I hasten to add.

Thank you for your comments anyway.

Btw , Statistical analysis requires that you make some effort at profiling your population. In addition these "irrelevant" questions could in certain cases be used to predict trends and models for penetration analysis.

If you would like to contribute I'd prefer we took this discussion offline... Feel free to Pm me and we'll organise a few pints.....

Statistical analysis requires that you make some effort at profiling your population.

Buddy, you sure aren't using this survey to profile the population in general !
    Anyone can tell that the contributors to boards.ie are too young and too footloose to reflect Éire Mór ! :D
    You are really trying to characterise the résistance to the present state of b/band.:)

If you want to do a proper survey why not directly approach the mods of this forum and let them - and the various members too, I suppose - come up with a suitable format for a worthwhile survey.
    As well as views on BB, there is an abundance of expertise within Boards members on customer surveying, statistics, computing, applications of BBin Ireland, financing options for a good BB network, etc.
    On such a subject you'd have no problem getting a hand, surely.

Naturally it would have to be on fair and broadly acceptable terms.
    You won't bull**** the drinkers with pint-talk.
    Nor us non-drinkers with condescending thank-you-for-your-views.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this survey, I'm closing it now.

I'll make a synopsis of the outcome available to those who would like to see it to the the Mod on this forum in the coming weeks.

There are a few things coming out of it that surprised me, particulary in relation to PC penetration and the numbers using the technology in the same home. This would seem to present a valid arguement in terms of penetration versus numbers using broadband in the home. This relates to the average household size in Ireland versus OECD 25.

The conformance section has given valuable insights into the subject that would have taken significantly longer to do personally or through offline questionnaires. Thank you for your insights and also to Boards.ie for this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

done

Advertisement