Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broadband service providers in the Waterford/Tramore area

• 13-06-2007 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭

What broadband are ye all on? Is there a broadband service where u dont need a landline in the county of Waterford?

I'm living in tramore and u cant get a broadband service that does not require a landline. For the size of a place like Tramore i would of thought surely this service exists. i never use my phone and i no alot of people in the very same circumstance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

i think Digiweb are planning on providing wireless digweb in tramore, not sure though. they definately provide wireless in Waterford City, along with other broadband companies.

i'm in Tramore, with BT - have a 2MB broadband & line rental package for €45 a month.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Stay well away from UTV - currently have them, and wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

BT looks great packages wise, whilst Eircom is fairly expensive.

Wireless? None that is reliable and recommended, no.

What you could do OP is see if your laptop / PC has range to any wireless network. If so, perhaps your neighbour might let you use their connection? You can buy special antennas that really improve signal range, and point it directly at your neighbours house so you get a strong signal. Also, Tramore is small for an ISP to setup wireless. There isnt demand for it anyway.

Places outside Tramore (Fenor and Dunhill for example) have wireless, but most of them get it through a special service setup by the Farmers Association. Not to sure who they are with ISP wise, but thats what one person living out there informed me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

i think Digiweb are planning on providing wireless digweb in tramore, not sure though. they definately provide wireless in Waterford City, along with other broadband companies.

i'm in Tramore, with BT - have a 2MB broadband & line rental package for €45 a month.

Do I know you? Your nick is very familar. Living down Riverstown by any chance, and did Home Ec with the boys from CBS about 2 years ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

Check out the 3 shop in town.

They have a USB datacard that does HSDPA, with speeds (in theory) of up to 3.6 Mbits.

I use it for my home line, sometimes in work when I need to, when I'm on the bus or train and I've even used it in the UK without any additional roaming charges.

I really can't recommend it enough. It works on Windows, Mac and Linux too.

The initial cost is a bit high, at 129 euro, and then 19.99euro a month. You get a 10GB cap (although I think it's 20GB if you have mobile bill phone from them too). Practically, anywhere in Waterford I've been and for most of the road up to Kilkenny, the speed is about equivalent to a 1Mbit line -- consistently.

Worthwhile checking out, bring in ID and a utility bill and you can take it away 30 mins later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,831 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I am with Eircom and while i know its not the cheapest I have had no problems whatever since I signed on (connection was about 4 days).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

dogs wrote:
    ..the speed is about equivalent to a 1Mbit line..

Exactly - this is the reason why I took mine back. If they advertise 3.6mbps, why is it only 1mbps? Dogs is right - it does everything it's meant to, just sadly not anywhere near as fast as it's meant to. In my experience, of course. ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

dogs wrote:
    Check out the 3 shop in town.

They have a USB datacard that does HSDPA, with speeds (in theory) of up to 3.6 Mbits.

While I've not used Three's HSDPA setup I have to say when I used Three on billpay I was very impressed by their coverage,

I've been to places where Meteor, O2 and Vodafone might be able to get a call but my Three mobile was able to get a full 3G signal, certainly a ideal setup for somebody who's not planning on downloadind much and doesn't want to be died down to one location
    benifa wrote:
    Exactly - this is the reason why I took mine back. If they advertise 3.6mbps, why is it only 1mbps? Dogs is right - it does everything it's meant to, just sadly not anywhere near as fast as it's meant to. In my experience, of course. ;)

You should have actually read what three were advertising,

"With 3's new 3DataModem, you have access to fast speeds of up to 3.6Mbps"

The main words to look out for here are "up to", you'll find basically every ISP advertises their speeds as "upto" and as such speeds can vary depending on location etc, Three certainly weren't in the wrong just because you got only 1MB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Sully wrote:
    Do I know you? Your nick is very familar. Living down Riverstown by any chance, and did Home Ec with the boys from CBS about 2 years ago?

haha it's funny you should say that. i was reading the papers yesterday, think it was yourself who won artic monkey tickets? you looked fairly familiar, might know some of your relatives maybe. you related to a niall sully from seaview by any chance?

and yes i'm living down in riverstown. but it was me younger bother who did home ec, i'm 26 he's only 18.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Cabaal wrote:
    You should have actually read what three were advertising,

"With 3's new 3DataModem, you have access to fast speeds of up to 3.6Mbps"

The main words to look out for here are "up to", you'll find basically every ISP advertises their speeds as "upto" and as such speeds can vary depending on location etc, Three certainly weren't in the wrong just because you got only 1MB

I did actually read what Three were advertising Cabaal, here: http://www.three.ie/handsets_new/datacards_e220.htm to quote, "Up to 3.6 Mbps is available on the 3 HSDPA (High Speed Downlink Packet Access) network which is currently 85% population coverage."

I was connected to the HSDPA network with strong signal. Now, I'm by no means insinuating that just because I only got 1mbps that 3.6mbps is not available. But, dogs only got 1mbps too, as did three other chaps I met in the shop when I returned my E220. They were also returning theirs due to slow speeds.

Has anyone achieved download speeds in excess of 1mbps?

haha it's funny you should say that. i was reading the papers yesterday, think it was yourself who won artic monkey tickets? you looked fairly familiar, might know some of your relatives maybe. you related to a niall sully from seaview by any chance?

and yes i'm living down in riverstown. but it was me younger bother who did home ec, i'm 26 he's only 18.

Ah iv got the completely wrong person. I know someone with that nick (part of it) so assumed it was you. Funny tho, ye both live in the same place and have similar nicks :P And ya, that was me on the paper ;) Nah, not related to Niall.

Anywho.. back on topic...

"Up to" is quoted in a lot of broadband adverts - your not guarnteed that speed. They may have the facilites but due to usage and sharing - it has to be divided out, so its probably not possible to get that full speed. (But this may change, depending on circumstances)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭JMcL

I spoke to Digiweb a while back as I'd love to ditch the landline. They'd tried to get get a service for one of the schools, but had no success. They may have changed now, it's probably worth checking.

Otherwise it's the usual suspects for DSL, and maybe HSPDA from VO2dafon3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 sm123_irl

Try CTM Wireless

http://wireless.ctmsite.com/

Know a few people with them and they seem reliable and a good quality service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭JMcL

sm123_irl wrote:
    Try CTM Wireless

http://wireless.ctmsite.com/

Know a few people with them and they seem reliable and a good quality service

Interesting, though the web site isn't functional beyond the front page, which is a bit worrying. Are they the ones doing the community broadband out around Dunhill, Annestown etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 sm123_irl

they do broadband through out the whole of the tramore area and susrounding areas give them a call and you'll find out more

Advertisement