Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Consfusing test question

Options
  • 13-06-2007 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭

One of my mates recently did his test and passed but one of the questions he got wrong had really got me confused now. He was asked what does a flashing RED light mean? I have never come across a flashing red light. Surely a red light should never be flashing only amber?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Dr. Seuss

Flashing RED light where - on your vehicle, on the street, on another vehicle? makes no sense either way, and this isn't part of the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

It is part of the test. It was one of the questions asked about the rules of the road before he got in the car. Flashing red light on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

At a level crossing maybe?

qz wrote:
    At a level crossing maybe?

Think thats what he guessed and what I thought too but aren't they amber lights? I said he probably meant flashing amber. He marked him wrong either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Level Crossings
    It is important to know the traffic signs which indicate the different types of level crossings which are signposted here.

At a gated but unattended level crossing, signposted by the sign shown opposite, stop short of the crossing:

Get out of the vehicle.
    Look both ways and listen to ensure that no train is approaching.
    See that BOTH gates are open before starting to cross.
    Close BOTH gates after you have crossed.
    Instead of gates, some level crossings are equipped with lights and with barriers which extend over half the width of the road on each side. These will be sign-posted as shown here. (Under no circumstances should a driver try to zigzag round the barriers).

On the approach of a train, twin red lights will commence to flash alternately, warning bells will sound and the barriers will descend. (The flashing red lights will be preceded by a steady amber light.)

At a few unattended level crossings, there are neither gates nor barriers and the crossing is protected only by twin red flashing lights which are activated by an approaching train.

While the red lights are flashing you must not proceed beyond the stop line, or, where there is no stop line, beyond the flashing red lights.

If a second train is coming its approach will be indicated by an illuminated sign SECOND TRAIN COMING, placed below the light board.

http://www.ism.ie/rules_of_the_road.php

• Advertisement

Ah right I've never seen that before but don't think you'd find that in Dublin anyway. He did his down in Cork so maybe thats why? Although rules should apply no matter where I know I know, but if you came across a level crossing with two flashin red lights you would probably stop and realise whats going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

su_dios wrote:
    don't think you'd find that in Dublin anyway
    DART Crossings? (Sutton, Merrion etc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Exactly Dart crossings 10 of them me thinks to be exact.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

I got asked that one too - but it must be fairly common because it was one my instructor drilled into me during practice lessons.

Thought all the ones at Sutton were guarded? Don't drive on the southside though so don't know. You learn something new every day! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭microgirl

Ehhhhh, Sutton is Northside :)

And yes, I'd imaging they're guarded, since they'#re beside the station, but that doesn't mean they don't get warning lights and barriers.

Surely a red light means stop, regardless of whether it flashes or not.

Surely a red light means stop, regardless of whether it flashes or not.

Advertisement