Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Blackhole!!!

Options
  • 13-06-2007 7:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

I live about 6 Miles outside New Ross, Co. Wexford. Where I live is in county Kilkenny. But there seems to be no service available in my area.Cannot get it by phone and all wireless providers seem to be not available in my area either. I'am just wondering if anybody knows of a service other than SKYDSL which is available in this general area and will not cost a fortune. I thought I might be able to get 3 Mobile Broadband, but they have told me that there is not sufficient coverage in my area.:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Tried permanet? they have some coverage down that way.
    http://www.permanet.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I wouldn't mind three too much, one of their staff told me that they no coverage in various places I gave them, even though it turned out they had a mast within a mile of them, overlooking the general area!

As for the FWA operators, distance from the mast is only an issue at like 10 km for a lot of equipment. They can only be certain if they go out and check. If you can see the mast, then it's game on. You could find out where their nearest masts are and see if you can see them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

can you be more precise as to your location, i can check the coverage maps and site info for O2 and advise if they have coverage in your area, or will have it soon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

If you can see the towers by Cheekpoint then PermaNet are your best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 GNR1992/2006

Cannot get Permanet, just checked today.

JNive : I live in a parish/area called Tullogher,Co. Kilkenny, its about 6 Miles from New Ross town in wexford with a clear view of the town from where I live.

Would it be worth a try to get 3 Mobile Broadband on the 2 week trail and see if it works???

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Yes its a good idea but have it back on day 13 in case they become anal about it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

And if you can't get anything, email ComReg and Noel Dempsey.....maybe then they'll realise that their "everything's just fine" stance is a load of "b*ll*x" !

new-ross.gif

Now, the second image is Vodafone coverage in your area, which just about falls into the 'possibility of 3G signal' category.

Also i checked the 2G situation on the mast for your area, which is New Ross ESB, to see if it was EDGE capable. EDGE would be about 270kbps instead of 3G's 384kbps. ( GPRS = 58kbps aka dial-up ) and there are no EDGE cells in either Kilkenny or Wexford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 GNR1992/2006

On the first image I'am in the white area and on the second I'd be in the Orange shaded area. So I take it I'am screwed for both then. There would be no point trying the 3G two week trial then as it would be a waste of time.

well its hard to judge as those graphs are only guides anyways, at my place in cork, i am supposed to be in an area blocking 3G ( supposed to mean only 2G is receivable ) however i get HSDPA throughout the house.

Also, with a HSDPA Broadband package coming in at EUR40 / month ( or EUR30 if you also have a voice account with them ) , you might get lucky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Why is it a waste of time? Those maps aren't foolproof, as the other poster has demonstrated, and unless it's awkward going to a shop to get something which only may need to be replaced, then I think you should go for it. You've nothing monetarily to lose. It's the only way to find out to be sure.

Can one get the three datacard online?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daffy_duc

Have you tried Skytel?
    http://www.skytel.ie/broadband.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 mdfireng

Im in a similar situation and got the 3 usb modem a few weeks back. It worked great on the train but when I got home I was out of coverage despite three telling me I should be in coverage.

I did take it back and got the money back, despite losing the case for the modem.

JNive - Can you check the o2 coverage for the cooley peninsual in County Louth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

My sister has broadband with National Wireless Broadband in Clonroche. Looking at the coverage map it seems you might be covered too. Their service is wireless with backhaul via satellite but it's pretty good. She can get up to 4M at certain times of the day.

cooley.gif

Omeath and Carlingford are planned sites ( Dont know the status of those ones yet )

Jnive my man, is there anything 3g planned anywhere west of Galway city ...ever ???

lol, whereabout :-) gotta be a bit more accurate

As there is no O2 3g whatsoever anywhere west of Galway City ...except maybe tonabrocky on the boundary ....and within Galway county.... I should think that anywhere west of Galway at all would be a good start for o2 :p

The other 2 3g networks have 3 cells between them that I know of, maybe 4 at a push , here is map showing the coverage of the biggest of them .

I'll accept a straight 'none and none planned' as well .

then yes there are about 4 or 5 planned for west of the main city,including one towards the west coast

great . I'm sure it will be better than Three so

http://www.three.ie/coverage/ireland_zoom3.html

( although there is one missing off their map and the 'covered 'areas are not really covered in many cases )

• Advertisement

galway-o2-3G.gif

sorry for the wide picture.

But anyways, as you can see O2 have a reasonable 3G network already, with quite a few more planned sites, however i currently cannot provide any sort of timeframes on completion of planned sites, that isnt my area :-).

for reference, green = live and blue = planned. The coloured areas = 3G Served Areas

EDIT: i might also add, that in north west galway, carrowrevagh and ballinrobe are on the planned list also.

nothing for the oul fella till 2010 earliest so, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 mdfireng

Thanks JNive, I live about 3km from Carlingford. Approximately halfway between the Grange and Greenore shown on the map. Fingers crossed!

Advertisement