Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wow...eircom...

Options
  • 13-06-2007 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭

I was just talking to a friend on msn,and we got onto the topic of broadband.. about a month back he had some problems with eircom broadband and it was down for about a week or two, eventually it was sorted out (problem at the exchange), Now I just got him to check his modem and send me a screenshot and here.. look at this..

eircomscreenshotnewgm9.jpg

That modem is syncing at 160/128... from the 128 i Figure he is paying for the 1mb... and it has been like this for over a month now.. apparently eircom had told him that they fixed the internet but it would be slow.. and they left it slow.. over a month later.. still charging the same price...

look at his speedtest...

139678615.png

I mean ffs, they have had plenty of time to sort it out!
    I just thought id post this here to see what you guys think,

Aidan

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

attenuation "47" to the right , its a 1mbit line ( or maybe 2mbit if you get the snr margin figure from troubleshooting menu and its over 10) but atten 47 should be a comfortable 1mbit and nearly 2

could be his line got wet today or else they never repaired it properly .....or both ??

then again tell him to unplug his sky box and then see

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

see what you guys think

Thats pretty shocking service. I cant believe they just left it like that saying it's fixed.

Having to pay for that is bad to say the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

I asked him to find the snr margin and he gave me this...
    SN Margin (dB) 23.50 23.00

that the right figure?
    Nah Im pretty sure its a 1mb line anyway..he is paying 24.99/mo
    and Im not sure about the line getting wet.. I doubt it tbh,
    He said that the eircom engineers actually said that the internet was fixed but it would be slower... so I guess they didnt repair it properly.. he is ringing them tomorrow anyway to try and sort it out.

160 is bad enough to get an engineer out where 260 is not

thats a 2mbit capable line ...or thereabouts .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I thought RADSL would drop the line speed until SNR reached 8 anyway. This idea of people having disconnects until the line speed is reduced goes against the core of the Rate Adaptive design. Why was it lowered to such a level, one wonders...

If possible, the friend could disconnect everything and see if the SNR improves. And if that doesn't work, then he might be best getting an eircom fella to see what can be done with the internal wiring or even the box outside.

I'm not sure if eircom will send out engineers even if you offer them money, to look at a DSL problem. If he lodges a complaint with eircom, then they might get off their laurels.

Or mabye he has a mate working for eircom, who might do a favour.

Edit: I type too slowly. SB is right, it's capable of 2 Mbits. How could the customer care fella (I can't let myself believe someone who did that would call themselves as such) draw that conclusion??

What was the original complaint with eircom? Slow internet or dropouts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

its almost like he plugged the router into the wrong side of the filter its so bad

How could the customer care fella (I can't let myself believe someone who did that would call themselves as such) draw that conclusion??

What was the original complaint with eircom? Slow internet or dropouts?

The original complaint was he had no internet basically for about 2 weeks.. IE no dsl, the modem wasnt syncing,when he rang they sent engineers who went to the exchange and "fixed" it, obviously they didnt do a very good job.
    Before the downtime it was fine.. he had no problems with speed
    towel401 wrote:
    its almost like he plugged the router into the wrong side of the filter its so bad

That was one of the first things I checked.. filters.. and I don't even think the modem would sync if it was in the wrong side of the filter

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I've troubleshooted many a poor/no connection with Eircom support and that speed isn't unusual for long lines (on the 'extended reach' program). I've never seen it done with the other stats so good. I've also never seen it left at that speed permanently. Thats the lowest speed they can drop it to but only to troubleshoot loss of sync problems.
    Normally they drop it to 160/128 to get the modem to sync and then notch it up (usually to 512/128) and leave it at that if it's stable until an engineer reviews the line test results.

Get him to get back onto Eircom and get an engineer out. They guarantee 256 minimum.
    BTW the speed changes are done instantly during the troubleshoot so I can't understand why it takes up to 7 days for an upgrade/downgrade request to kick in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

ab_cork wrote:
    That was one of the first things I checked.. filters.. and I don't even think the modem would sync if it was in the wrong side of the filter

i got it to connect at 960/384k (instead of 3072) using the wrong side of the filter. signal was brutal but it did connect. i was even browsing the interwebs with it for a while till i decided to check what the hell was wrong with it

• Advertisement

filters themselves can die, get another one somewhere

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sponge Bob wrote:
    thats a 2mbit capable line ...or thereabouts .

certainly is, although its somewhat marginal, certainly should have 1MB and 2MB would probably be ok though as you said

Best way to troubleshoot is disconnect any telephony equipment, phones, sky, fax etc and connect one filter into the main Eircom socket in the house, check the db levels then

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Wasn't there a person who had 2 mbits on boards with 54dB attenuation? Or was it 60? I'll do some digging. The fella had isdn before it and passed only when eircom extended the distance limit.

Interesting to know that speeds can be set by customer care staff after all. Mabye the delay is for checking to see if the line can handle it???

The filters don't remove the signal allright. Attenuation would jump by 30dB or more if one used the wrong end, but I can't be sure on the exact figure. Depends on quality of filter.

Anyway OP, your friend should do what kaisersoze advised.

Thanks for all the help guys, Ill let him know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Tell your friend to turn off the router and back on again. It should sync up at full speed. My router did that about a month ago too, every day it was at 160/256 or 480/256 all i had to do was turn the router off for a few seconds and it would sort itself out.

Advertisement