Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WinXP forcing itself to shutdown

• 13-06-2007 7:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭

I know i've seen this problem before, and almost certain i've been able to troubleshoot it..

Mate of mine from college rang there saying that when they boot up their win XP machine, after a few minutes they get a pop-up saying that the PC is going to shut down in 90 seconds... Obviously he doesn't have enough time to Google to try and solve the problem.

He's not too sure if it's a virus or what, but i'm almost certain i've seen this problem before, and a say to disable it.. Anygot got any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Sounds like the Blaster (worm virus) or whatever it was called. This should help in its removal.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

It sounds like the sasser virus. When the window pops up, run this command:

shutdown -a

then update and run your virus scanner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Start -> Run -> shutdown -a
    ^ to abort the shutdown

Update virus scanner & Windows Updates, reboot to safe mode and scan.

Are you sure it's "90 seconds" and not 60? Does it mention lsass.exe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Before the machine shuts down:
    open the run command and type
    "shutdown -a"
    without the quotes.

This will abort the shutdown and allow you to investigate why it happens. You'll have to type that everytime you restart until you find the problem.

The 90 second shutdown dialog is acutally a windows program, and you can run it yourself if you want (just type shutdown in cmd and it'll give you the instructions on how to use it)

Old viruses like MSBLAST or SASSER and their variations used to do that as part of the infection.
    Plenty of removal tools for those exist, just google em.

I haven't heard of any virus to do that in a while though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Cheers lads, gonna pop up tomorrow and try to get him sorted.

Should AVG find it?

Thanks for the quick replies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

AVG might get rid of it, but hard to tell since you will have to run in normal mode. IMO try HijackThis first.

Please download the self-extracting version of HijackThis from here:

HijackThis_sfx download

Save HijackThis_sfx to your desktop.

Double-click the file then click the Unzip button. Then close the Self-Extractor window.

Using My Computer/Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\HijackThis and double click on HijackThis.exe to run it. If you would like to make a shortcut for your Desktop so it's more easily accessable, right click HijackThis.exe and choose Send To > Desktop (create shortcut).

Please run the extracted HijackThis.exe from now on. Delete any copies of HijackThis.zip that you have saved.

Open HijackThis and click Do a system scan and save a log file. Copy the entire contents of that log and post it here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Cheers, will also give that a try

Advertisement