Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music

Options
  • 13-06-2007 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

Not sure how many people on this boards are doing Music, but I went to a grind like thing in Trinity and I found it very useful, anyway, anyone dreading this exam? I can't say I am, there's too much of it that depends on the day, now obviously I am studying for it, here's what I am doing:

listening to Irish music is a good thing to do, try and spot the instruments.
    Prepare general essays on Irish music. For those wondering, here are a list of the essays that have come up: Irish Dance Music, Sean Nos Singing, Song Tradition [whatever that means] Harping, Composers, Solo Artists, Groups, Instrument [oh please yes, so easy and vague] Development of Irish Music [one I like, a lot to talk about, from recording of music, to new instruments] Fusions of different styles, Contribution of Irish Music to America etc. Changes from inside or outside traditional Irish music that affected them, Description of a performance, Ornamentation Ceili Band, regional Styles. Now, that sounds like a lot, hell it is, but generally they are only a page long, intro, 3 main paragraphs, outro/conclusion.
    Practice melody and harmony composition, recite general rules
    Go over all the notes on each piece we have studied [not that important IMO, some questions are answerable my common knowledge by this time [i.e you just know it] others actually require knowledge of the pieces, but its no good just learning off notes by heart. You have to understand them.

That's it. Mainly because of the practical, I think I am fairly relaxed, it went well, the examiner complimented me on my guitar playing, and luckily I went before my friend who is grade 8 on guitar! :p

For those who are curious, I played Stairway to heaven [Rod y Gab] Classico [collection of various classical songs by Tenacious D :p], Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd, I sang as well, but they were judging me on guitar, and finally Since I've Been Loving You by Led Zeppelin on guitar, for which I had a backing track.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

Ya I'm not too bothered about music I've got 8 days to prepare for it. I was just wondering though what do you say when you are asked for your personal opinion on Barry? We never did that in class!

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

What? We never did that either? Where do you see that, in any event, he's a nutter. That's my summation. Though more than likely i would offer loads of drivel how he is contemporary, ignoring the rules, but creating an interesting piece, blah blah blah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Tomlowe

like his intriguing use of compositional techniques (name compositional techniques, two ticks) and his imaginative distortion of old irish tunes (Sí Mhór, Sí Bheag, Beidh Aonach Amárach) two ticks

theyre just looking for knowledge of what makes him different, saying hes a nutter wont get you anything

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I didnt do your course (mine had Tchaikovsky et al) but music really is a joke of an exam. The same questions always come up so if you know your set works you're laughing.
    For the Irish music it's pretty much 100% you'll hear a Sean Nos piece. Oh and a fusion piece, jaysus they can't get enough of fusion!

Good luck, and don't worry too much about it. :D

Also a funny story about my exam last year. That morning when I woke up I was listening to the Beatles 'Michelle' was the last song I heard so it was stuck in my head, what came up in the Unheard section? My smile was from ear to ear!

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭kisaragi

I'm not too worried. Don't really need to study for the composition paper and half of the listening paper you can get from.. listening :D

I got an A2 in my mocks despite getting only a B3 in that part of the paper with virtually no work... Music is a pretty easy exam relatively speaking.

• Advertisement

I didnt do your course (mine had Tchaikovsky et al)

Same course, it's next years [current 5th years0 that have the other course.

Oh and in regards to the Barry, question, I knew aobut them, I don't know why I let that confuse me, yeah, they aren't that hard, actually a way to pick up marks than lose them IMO. He uses retrograde and inversion. Check and Check. [compositional]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 stickytape

Any ideas for the long question in the listening. I was talking to a very senior music teacher in another school and asked them what they thought about Bo Rap coming up as the long question- they said....no it can;'t, it came up before, not enough for a question. Oh how he was wrong. If you go through the past papers sinc this course began 1999 Bo Rap has NEVER come up as the LQ......AND in SetB which the Beathles is the modern song, it came up as the long question....so no reason why Bo Rap can't....and i've seen it comimg up in mocks as LQ in the past.

This senior person thinks Tchkoksky will come up as its beenn 1999 since it has......if it did i would be smiling from ear to ear cause i LOVE this piece.....its amazing. I hate the Bach rthough....can't listen to it except the Aria Dueto which is cool..

Anyone any tips for composition with minor keys in both Q1 AND Q5- backing chords and bass????????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

One word... Tchaikers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

The reason everone thinks Barry is a nutter is because we are not used to the music...

Example, we in the west have been brought up with contemporary classics and very major sounding music. However Chinese music to us sounds odd, unfamiliar and not right. This is because they have been brought up with a different sound. Likewise they think our sound sounds odd,unfamiliar and not right.

This is Gerald Barry. He dares to change the sound, and we do not accept it because it is rough on our major ears.

That is why Gerald Barry is NOT a nutter.
    However i do agree the music is difficult to listen to, but that is because we are not used to it.

It was a joke mate, I do study the subject you know! :p But if I was to argue your point:

Comparing Barry to music of oriental origins is preposterous, it is nothing a like, Barry simply ignores rules that are accepted by people, Oriental music uses keys we are less familiar to, as does Indian, but it is still music that follows rules. I think my view of this comes from playing guitar, and actually learning scales that are more popular in those countries.
    He dares to change the sound, and we do not accept it because it is rough on our major ears.

Maybe because I like a wide variety of music, but I find this stupid. Our "major ears"? Are you implying we are more used to the major key? :confused: In any event, I don't agree with music like this, that attempts to be out there, it just annoys me, as do impressionist painters, I don't think they have the skill of the Renaissance painters for example, however I understand in what he does, Barry is good! :D

We should start big discussions on each piece, it would help us revise, when we are taking breaks! LOL...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

I'm not too worried about the exam. I aced the practical which means I have 50% in the bag already. The composition paper won't be too bad since I've a good grasp of composition technique. Just so long as I don't make a collosal screw-up like use the wrong key signature or something. As far as the listening paper goes, I know the four set works inside out and have the irish music lessays earned off fairly well. So there's not much else I can do at this point.

I just use my favourite methods for key signature, if it has flats, [doesn't work with one :p] just go to the second last one.

Proof: flats of Eb major are: B, E, A. Second flat, is E! So it's Eb! :D
    For sharps, I think you move the last "#" up a step, hard to explain, but I'm sure most of you do this or have other methods, like actually knowing them, pffft! :p

Here's an example:
    A_Major_key_signature.png

If you move the G up once, it's A, which is the key signature. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭cossyx

Not sure how many people on this boards are doing Music, but I went to a grind like thing in Trinity and I found it very useful, anyway, anyone dreading this exam? I can't say I am, there's too much of it that depends on the day, now obviously I am studying for it, here's what I am doing:

listening to Irish music is a good thing to do, try and spot the instruments.
    Prepare general essays on Irish music. For those wondering, here are a list of the essays that have come up: Irish Dance Music, Sean Nos Singing, Song Tradition [whatever that means] Harping, Composers, Solo Artists, Groups, Instrument [oh please yes, so easy and vague] Development of Irish Music [one I like, a lot to talk about, from recording of music, to new instruments] Fusions of different styles, Contribution of Irish Music to America etc. Changes from inside or outside traditional Irish music that affected them, Description of a performance, Ornamentation Ceili Band, regional Styles. Now, that sounds like a lot, hell it is, but generally they are only a page long, intro, 3 main paragraphs, outro/conclusion.
    Practice melody and harmony composition, recite general rules
    Go over all the notes on each piece we have studied [not that important IMO, some questions are answerable my common knowledge by this time [i.e you just know it] others actually require knowledge of the pieces, but its no good just learning off notes by heart. You have to understand them.

That's it. Mainly because of the practical, I think I am fairly relaxed, it went well, the examiner complimented me on my guitar playing, and luckily I went before my friend who is grade 8 on guitar! :p

For those who are curious, I played Stairway to heaven [Rod y Gab] Classico [collection of various classical songs by Tenacious D :p], Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd, I sang as well, but they were judging me on guitar, and finally Since I've Been Loving You by Led Zeppelin on guitar, for which I had a backing track.

Ya Im basically doing the same as you, there is a lot of essays there but mine are short enough as well..:) Sounds like you did a brill practical anyway they're some of my fav songs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭elefant

I thin i've done decently in my practical(i've completed my piano exams), but i think i may b screwed for the written and listening.

So many of the listening questions are really in depth aren't they, like what key and stuff? And that fill in the bar, forget about it!!

Th essay thing seems hard too, or does our teacher just mke it seem that way? She gave out a rake of samples and i couldn't be arsed learnin all of them... There's around 20!!!

Am I misguided in my hinking?
    btw i think i'm ok at the melody and chord q's...

The most important thing is you did good in the practical and your good at paper 2, the essays are only 10 marks as far as I know so you only need a few points in each...don't kill yourself learning them or anything!:D

What a relief!
    I think i'll just listen to the works over and over again.

Maybe i'll see if that sleep listening thing works....
    hmmmm:rolleyes:

I really haven't a notion of the set works, especially Barry!!

At least i can tell the parts apart in tha one!!

They all sound the same when they're sung in German!

We spent ages on all the other works but not Barry, ha I got 0 for the question in the mock :rolleyes: Hopefully it'll be ok though I've a full week now with no other exams to learn it...I know I'll only end up cramming wednesday though!!:( Overall musics a waaaaay easier subject than others imo..

Ha we didn't even have a mock!
    Theres only 2 of us!

It'll be a new experience for me anyway

• Advertisement

Ye didn't have a mock...that's gas...its fine anyway like! We had a sub in while our mocks were going on..she was scared we wouldn't do good and our teacher'd be going mad so she wrote out what was coming up...what sections in the works and everything..:p No wonder half the class got A's..our poor teacher thinks were brill now...:rolleyes:

My least favourite question's are the: difference between section you have listened to to following, or preceding setion. Agh, they are bad, easy for Queen like, but for the others...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

ne chance anyone can post Music notes please !!! i reallly need some revison notes anything !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

1) Barry is the easiest of the set pieces to learn, whether you like his music or not.

2) If you cant compare Barry's music to Chinese traditional music, then you can't compare his music to "Impressionist" paintings. Perhaps you meant postmodern?

3) The Irish essay is worth only 13 marks out of a couple of hundred. If you're in a fix and have left all your studying till now, just leave out the essay and focus on the set works and composition; don't waste your time reading through reams of notes.

4) If you did the practical elective, then you have half the exam behind you so don't worry too much if you know you played well. Conversely, if you played badly, then study your a$$ off.

5) If you haven't a clue about harmony, just remember "I-ii-V-I"!

6) I'm not great at melody, but I do know that your melody should have a curve, and that in the B section it should go into a higher register (assuming you're doing the same question I am).

7) Queen will be the main question, you can bet your bottom dollar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

Im confused im doin HL but am i on at 9.30 to 11.00 and then 11.10 to whatever . then melodys at 2.00pm???????

The exam is all split up because of the CDs etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭bebop!

Would anybody mind posting up an Irish Essay just so I can see how it is sapposed to be structured,, I've learned all the material just need to know how to apply it. I'd b really greatful but i'll understand if everyones a bit busy to be postin up a stupid essay,, if yas can't dats ok !! I'll get by on my own *sniff *:( :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭madgal

Gerald Barry wrecks my head. I would far rather sit my brother (4) on the piano stool and record him for 12 minutes than listen to that wreckhead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 chas_88

Aard wrote:
    1) Barry is the easiest of the set pieces to learn, whether you like his music or not.
    very true!
    Aard wrote:
    5) If you haven't a clue about harmony, just remember "I-ii-V-I"!
    or I-vi-IV-ii-V-I, that might get you a bit further.

• Advertisement

Easiest ways to pick up melody marks are, as you said, have a "curve" and don't forget to modulate.

Advertisement