Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭kisaragi

Hang on... is it not better for the harmony to just go bar by bar and see what the best chord is rather than trying to squeeze them into a particular patter?

That's what I do.. obviously I put in the cadences but I just do the a bassline and chords to fit the melody... although I do use formula for the ending cadence...

Oh and don't forget guys... if you use iidim in a minor harmony it has to be a first inversion ;)

Ending cadence should be iidimb-V7-I right?

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

I just pray for no minor TBH. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

madgal wrote:
    Gerald Barry wrecks my head. I would far rather sit my brother (4) on the piano stool and record him for 12 minutes than listen to that wreckhead.
    I very much doubt that. If you listen to his music, an awful lot of it isn't far from Baroque forms (well, kinda). And if you don't like Bach then I guess there's just no hope.
    I just pray for no minor TBH.
    Minor's easier because there's no modulation and you can double the third of the chord.
    EDIT: Just saw the wink smilie and take it you weren't serious!
    kisaragi wrote:
    Ending cadence should be iidimb-V7-I right?
    It can be. But there's no point in cluttering your piece with 7ths and the likes if you don't understand them. Even using them once will show knowledge of them. I haven't learnt how to use this iidimb of which you speak, but if your teacher told you it, then yes use it as a form of the ii-V-I cadence.

Also, try to use the different cadences at the end of lines 2, 3, 4. Like V-vi, VI-V, or vi-V. And while I'm at it, I-vi is a nice way to start a piece.
    chas_88 wrote:
    or I-vi-IV-ii-V-I, that might get you a bit further.
    It would indeed. The I-ii-V-I is for those who have absolutely no hope at remembering anything else!
    bebop! wrote:
    Would anybody mind posting up an Irish Essay just so I can see how it is sapposed to be structured,, I've learned all the material just need to know how to apply it. I'd b really greatful but i'll understand if everyones a bit busy to be postin up a stupid essay,, if yas can't dats ok !! I'll get by on my own *sniff *
    If you know all your stuff, then you'll be grand. This isn't a test for the use of language, so no matter how 'disorganised' your essay might seem, they can't take away marks just because you misstructured it.

You're aiming for an A aren't you? Would be happy with B or high C myself, if my practical went as well as I think it did of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

An A would be lucky. I'm going for a high B. Pretty sure I aced my practical, so that's 50% done. The Trad will get me; I've taken my own advice and not learnt anything for the essay - there's too much too cover, and I just don't care. The listening (not the set works) usually gets me, but I'm pretty sure I can do well in the set works, and if Barry comes up I'll be laughing.

• Advertisement

You find the trad hard? Strange, I dont find it ah rd, just not easy either. Normally I can't spot if it's a jig or a reel or whatever, but I can do a lot of the questions.
    The listening is quite hard, you can get some right [expletive] of a piece. Sometimes it can be nice as well, though, depends on how much you practice them, if you have the papers and Cd I recommend listening to them, answering the questions the day before the exam. Prepare your ears basically.

Advertisement