Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlicenced Firearm Barrel

Options
  • 13-06-2007 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

What judgement could a Licenced shooter face by the district court by having in is possesion a spare rifle barrel for his already licenced interchangeable rifle, the shooter aquired the spare new barrel a couple of weeks before application was indicated to garda, for the sole purpose of target shooting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Same as having a complete firearm unlicenced. Even having a magazine for a rifle you dont have a licence for is still classed as having a conponent part and so a firearm.

Alot of questions will be asked as to who sold you a barrel without having a licence for it. Find a deep lake for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Is it for the same calibre of the rifle??Then get the frame serial no stamped /engraved deeply on the barrel and you are ok.It is an interchangeable part and has a traceability factor thru the serial no back to the reciver,hence back to the liscense holder.No serious panic.
    Different story if it is a different calibre.Then a trip to a lake,or a car crusher might be in order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

If you can't get it re numbered as per CG's idea ...

Might I suggest a meeting with an angle grinder , something in the 9 inch range by Makita should suffice..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭ranger4

Yes the spare barrel is same cal as exsisting rifle and has its own serial no, was hopeing to have spare barrel no added to exsisting licence, I know that it is possible to have a subsequent barrel added to a shotgun licence, have heard that this was not possible with a rifle barrel because it is classed as a firearm component and is chamberd, when i challenged this with the department of justice i asked why cant it be possible to have a subsequent barrel of same cal added to a rifle licence and was told because its a firearm component and needs a seperate licence so i asked that it was possible with a shotgun to have subsequent spare barrels on the same cert even though the barrel is chamberd like a rifle barrel and it must be classed as a firearm component like a rifle barrel so whats the difference, was told that they will look into the matter but i wont hold my breath has anyone else out there incounterd same ****e as this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Yes ..it is rubbish ,
    Apart from the preferred idea of licensing the man , not the firearm... a close second choice would be to licence the action . The effect would be to allow changes to barrels or multiple barrels for the same firearm.

My idea is that only the highest calibre be licenced and that you simply add other barrels on to that licence. You can only shoot one at any one time because you only own one action , so why have more than one licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Tought the FAO could just write the serial on the bottom of the license and cal and stamp it.

Any quad owners out there?

Yes on a shotgun cert they will add subsequent barrel nos but as far as i am aware not on a rifle even if spare subsequent barrel is same cal as exsisting licence, would be interested to find out if there is any rifle licences with spare subsequent barrel nos on them?

Dont see how they can! There is no place to write in the subsequent barrel info.My lot were happy enough if the extra barrels were serial marked with the reciver no.
    It is another ,if,but,maybe,possibly situation depending who you ask.
    Dont bother waiting for DOJ to answer you might have caused brain melt!!:D

Clare gunner +11 on brain melt, on the blaser rifles the serial no is stamped on barrel couldnt see any on reciever my 308 cert has both my 243 barrel no followed by my 308 barrel no on it, maybe if i stamp my exsisting 243 licenced no on my spare barrel would do the job:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Not the same thing but i got my cert ammedend from a .22wmr to a .17hmr the FAO just got a biro crossed out the top part and wrote in underneath CZ .17hmr bolt action serial blah blah and then signed dated and stamped over it.

If they can do that with a rifle license surely they could just write in a barrel and stamp it.

• Advertisement

You must have an odd looking ol cert there Ranger.:D Do they hand write this in or what?
    So as I understand this;

You have a Blaser 308 With ther serial nos stamped on the barrel and not on the reciver?

You have a cert with both calibres 308 and 243 on the same cert?

The 308 serial no is on the barrel and the cert?While the 243 barrel serial no is regd on the cert,but is NOT on the barrel?

How then did the gardai add the no to the cert if it is not on the barrel?:confused:

All in all,I dont see a problem.The Gardai know you have a dual cal 243/308 rifle,as witnessed by the dual cert.The reciver obviously falls away in this case,as each barrel is individually number to be registerd as need be per each contrys need. I would leave well alone unless the Gardai say they want a number stamped on the xtra barrel.It is not as if this is an unknown component,they have cleared it as well by liscensing it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

You must have an odd looking ol cert there Ranger.:D Do they hand write this in or what?
    Yup, have the same thing myself because PULSE doesn't store the leading zero on my air rifle serial number properly. It's something that the NTSA pointed out to the DoJ, because you occasionally get hassle trying to sort out paperwork for international trips when your licence isn't a proper booklet like the passport, but a single ragged-ass piece of computer printout with handwritten scribbles on it.

Talk to me about it.Few years back the Gardai were convinced I had sold my Anschutz to somone.Reason was this other fellow bought a Brno with the same serial no.The PULSE system doesnt store the maker name just the serial numbers!!:eek: :mad: Which rocket scientist made up this dopey system???

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Talk to me about it.Few years back the Gardai were convinced I had sold my Anschutz to somone.Reason was this other fellow bought a Brno with the same serial no.QUOTE]

Yeah! Had a case of that meself!

Advertisement