Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spat at by Merc driver

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

>the distinction between property and person is essential to maintain. If we don't maintain it, we risk turning into gun-toting libertarians

agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Of course not. It's a question of degree.
    If you treat peoples property with the dis-respect that the OP did you're going to get a reaction, surely this doesn't come as a shock to you...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Anyway, when it comes to how people feel about their property, cars are still a special case. It must be something to do with the isolation of the driver, that removal from the world outside. It seems to stir up some seriously symbolic, primeval sh*t.

No its simple, its either the first or second most expensive thing a person owns... most people are paying a large percentage of their wages to keep it on the road , and then some idiots touches it ......

Come off it, man. We're not talking about robbing the thing.
    jhegarty wrote:
    No its simple, its either the first or second most expensive thing a person owns... most people are paying a large percentage of their wages to keep it on the road , and then some idiots touches it ......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

jhegarty wrote:
    No its simple, its either the first or second most expensive thing a person owns

Well, my bike is worth more than my car - as it should be :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

And on a similar vein, why do cyclists insist on travelling up the nearside of a waiting truck/bus which intends to turn left and has clearly indicated that intention?
    Perhaps because they've just been overtaken by truck/bus & are still slowing down & trying to decide if the truck/bus is going to cut them up or give way?
    Perhaps it's time to introduce registrations for bicycles!
    It hasn't done anything for driving standards here, so I can't see it having any material benefit on bad cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

MicraBoy wrote:
    A prime example of this (and a pet hate of mine) is Constitution Hill. The cycle lane there is a joke. It takes up have the lane. Common sense tells me that cyclists and drivers have to share this space. However continually drivers will block the cycle lane leaving plenty of space to their right (it's two lanes). That is inconsiderate and dangerous. The added hilarity is that the there is a footpath and grass verge that could have been used to take the cycle lane off road for the worst section.

I always thought that to be funny OK. I cycled up that road daily for about 3 months and the number of times I got beeped for occupying the left hand lane instead of magically managing to find space between the kerb and where cars wanted to drive was quite amazing. Sorry, I can't create space (I'm not an architect!) Its a good example of one of those sorry cycle lanes that exists to curtail rather than enhance the rights of cyclists... but that's another thread.

This thread is for the kids to spit at each other and argue about their toys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

If you treat peoples property with the dis-respect that the OP did you're going to get a reaction, surely this doesn't come as a shock to you...

What surprises me on this thread is that some are posting as if the behaviour of the driver as reported by the OP is somehow acceptable :eek: .
    That would imply that the driver was fully justified in attempting to force the cyclist off the road possibly causing the cyclist serious injury because of the "crime" of moving a mirror out of the way without even damaging the mirror :rolleyes:.

People just don't seem to get that the driver's reaction was grossly disproportionate.

I agree.
    DeepBlue wrote:
    What surprises me on this thread is that some are posting as if the behaviour of the driver as reported by the OP is somehow acceptable :eek: .
    That would imply that the driver was fully justified in attempting to force the cyclist off the road possibly causing the cyclist serious injury because of the "crime" of moving a mirror out of the way without even damaging the mirror :rolleyes:.

People just don't seem to get that the driver's reaction was grossly disproportionate.

I have to cycle up Constitution Hill every day. The bike lane there provides ample evidence of the kind of driver ignorance that is sustained and systematic.
    I always thought that to be funny OK. I cycled up that road daily for about 3 months and the number of times I got beeped for occupying the left hand lane instead of magically managing to find space between the kerb and where cars wanted to drive was quite amazing. Sorry, I can't create space (I'm not an architect!) Its a good example of one of those sorry cycle lanes that exists to curtail rather than enhance the rights of cyclists... but that's another thread.

This thread is for the kids to spit at each other and argue about their toys :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

DeepBlue wrote:

Yeah. The driver was a toerag. He spat at the OP.

But the OP's not here because he was spat at....He's here looking for a sympathetic crowd to tell him it's alright, and that the nasty merc driver deserved everything.....

Fact is, the OP acted the maggot, and while I can understand his initial frustration with the merc driver blocking his path, everything he did after that means he's in the wrong.

OP, you should learn the lesson here.

Wrong though he may have been in some respects, the OP gets my sympathy. Cyclists are natural underdogs to drivers, if only because they aren't protected by steel armour.
    Gil_Dub wrote:
    Yeah. The driver was a toerag. He spat at the OP.

But the OP's not here because he was spat at....He's here looking for a sympathetic crowd to tell him it's alright, and that the nasty merc driver deserved everything.....

Fact is, the OP acted the maggot, and while I can understand his initial frustration with the merc driver blocking his path, everything he did after that means he's in the wrong.

OP, you should learn the lesson here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I was in a taxi on Wednesday night about 11.15, and coming along d'Olier Street another taxi carved us up, blaring his horn and yelling through his window because we wouldn't move in to let him pass. My driver was leaving room for a cyclist cycling along on the right.

We continued on, following the arrogant taxi, and the cyclist went ahead of us, turning up Dame Street and using the right-hand lane to do so, as is safest for cyclists.

The arrogant taxi driver moved over at him, apparently trying to force him into the oncoming traffic. My driver was crouched in his seat with his shoulders around his ears in horror.

I wondered how the guy kept his licence. I thought of taking the number and reporting him, but wouldn't like to put a man out of a job...

Would letting that man put another man into hospital be more palatable?

Sorry to appear sanctimonious but I think we sometimes shirk our responsibilities in this country when it comes to getting sociopaths removed from our roads.
    luckat wrote:
    I thought of taking the number and reporting him, but wouldn't like to put a man out of a job...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

nodger wrote:
    Maybe all motorists should be forced to cycle at least once a month in order to see what it's like ;)

Agreed. Ideally on busy roads on a wet and windy day. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Would letting that man put another man into hospital be more palatable?

Sorry to appear sanctimonious but I think we sometimes shirk our responsibilities in this country when it comes to getting sociopaths removed from our roads.

If he'd put the other man into hospital I would have reported his number.

(I'm amused by the precious way people seem to feel here about their car mirrors, btw - the OP only touched the guy's mirror, not his mickey!)

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Marathon Man

A lot of driver frustration boils down to this:
    After paying a lot of money for a large metal box, they see cyclists getting to their destinations faster due to the severe traffic on our roads.
    I love passing lots of cars. Its great. I get home from town in 15 minutes instead of over an hour on public transport or in a car.
    Maybe something for drivers to think about.

Hah! I haven't heard of anyone trying that yet...!
    luckat wrote:
    (I'm amused by the precious way people seem to feel here about their car mirrors, btw - the OP only touched the guy's mirror, not his mickey!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

luckat wrote:
    If he'd put the other man into hospital I would have reported his number.

96-01 BMW 7 Series electric wing mirror.....€840 incl. VAT.

Removed from a friends car (accidentally) by a cyclist who hit it with a bar end on his handlebars.

I doubt he'd have stuck around if he could have helped it, except for the fact he was squeezing between my mates car and a squad car on Westmoreland St. at the time and obviously didn't fancy his chances.

Accidents happen. Were the guy to have kicked it off the door deliberately, he'd have been a whole lot worse off than the bill for the replacement mirror I'm sure.... My mate Joe is a cool customer, very calm and collected, but every man has his limit.....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Perhaps because they've just been overtaken by truck/bus & are still slowing down & trying to decide if the truck/bus is going to cut them up or give way?
    Yes, I accept that that is a problem but it's certainly not something that I would do. In fairness, I was referring to situations where I am already stopped at the lights with my left indicator flashing and a cyclist crawls up the nearside just as I am moving off. I am then forced to stop. I turn the tractor unit slightly to emphasize that I intend to turn. Then the cyclists often stop right at the corner waiting for me to continue but I can't as the rear axles will churn them up. Mr Cyclist is probably thinking "why is this this dopey driver not proceeding" while blissfully unaware that he is the problem. Do cyclists not realise that a large vehicle requires most of the available space to negotiate a tight corner?
    cyclopath wrote:
    It hasn't done anything for driving standards here, so I can't see it having any material benefit on bad cycling.
    Well we could report those cyclists who break red lights, cycle without lights at night, cycle on footpaths, cycle the wrong way down one way streets, leave the scene of an accident etc.

I realise, of course, that it would not be practicable and was merely indicating how frustrating it can be.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

DeepBlue wrote:
    What surprises me on this thread is that some are posting as if the behaviour of the driver as reported by the OP is somehow acceptable .

More waffle, where was this said?

Who are these people? I think it was grossly disproportionate, I also think the OP's actions weren't reasonable. Why not wait until the lights change, again, we don't know if there was room to allow the OP the space to get by.

A lot of driver frustration boils down to this:
    After paying a lot of money for a large metal box, they see cyclists getting to their destinations faster due to the severe traffic on our roads...

Yet again, more generalizations...

Don't agree with your points, I use a motor way and travel at around 120k/hr daily to and from work plus I got home dry.

I love passing lots of cars. Its great. I get home from town in 15 minutes instead of over an hour on public transport or in a car.
    Maybe something for drivers to think about..
    I think this is the crúx of the problem right here.
    It's not a race!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

mike65 wrote:
    Why did you think you had the right to interfere with other peoples property?

Mike.

Yeah

DeepBlue wrote:
    More waffle, where was this said?

Your own post implies it. Do I need to point it out to you again?

It reads to me as though you're saying :if you move a guy's car mirror then you should expect to get run off the road so why are you surprised?
    That belief seems disproportionate to me, but hey, I'm just applying common sense to it.

DeepBlue wrote:
    Your own post implies it. Do I need to point it out to you again?.

Absolute bollix, read all my posts.

I pointed out to you that you were waffleing and asked you to quote the occasions where people sympathised with the way the driver re-acted, you can't, there are none here, he was out of order, end off.

It reads to me as though you're saying :if you move a guy's car mirror then you should expect to get run off the road so why are you surprised?

More waffle. You are unable to read and interpit with any sort of balance, read my posts again; I said "If you treat peoples property with the dis-respect that the OP did you're going to get a reaction, surely this doesn't come as a shock to you..." This doesn't in any means justify the driver's behaviour, just that a reaction of some sort was inevitable.

Absolute bollix, read all my posts.

Calm down before you do yourself an injury.
    The posts are there. Re-read them at your leisure. Like all posts they are open to interpretation.
    My interpretation is reasonable given the context of the thread and just because you don't agree with it doesn't make it absolute bollix or waffle.

I don't see any point in furthering the discussion with you as you only seem willing to engage in the topic emotionally rather than rationally - a bit like the Merc driver in the OP's post I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Marathon Man

I think this is the crúx of the problem right here.
    It's not a race!!!

Never claimed that it was a race. I simply stated a fact i.e. that it is quicker for me to cycle home from town in rush hour traffic than it would be by either public transport or by car.
    If it was a race the roads would be cleared and a car would easily 'Win'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Jumpy wrote:
    You have a death wish. One day it wont simply be a shouty "alpha male" You will get some dick who thinks giving you a nudge while moving would teach you a lesson.
    Either that or a load of scumbags that would tear you apart.
    No death wish at all. Just one person has been agressive with me in the last year or so. More importantly, the car is always stuck in traffic when I approach them, so if they get nasty, I'll be in Ballinteer before they get up to the top of Dundrum road, so they aren't going to get near me.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

clown bag wrote:
    I sometimes think about carrying a small bar with me to scrape the sides of the yummy mummys suvs and the boy racers supped up dirt boxes. before everyone gives out to me it's just a wishful thought, I haven't actually done it................

.......yet.
    Hopefully I'll get a car soon, but if some nut job did this to my car, because the road only holds a car, I'll mangle his bike, with whatever comes to hand.

=-=

As for the OP, what a f*cking prat. I cycle, and if blocked, I go around. I don't try to cause an accident by restricting someone field of vision.

How does a motorist see to his left behind? Left mirror. How can he see to the his left behind after some twat flips the mirror? He can't. What may happen when he pulls in to the left to fix his mirror? Something on two wheels has to gtfo between the car and whatever is to the left quickish.

OP, thread carefully. If someone kicked your bicycle wheile you were on it, I doubt you'd be happy, so why should the driver of the car? Next f*cker you annoy may not just spit at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

the_syco wrote:
    As for the OP, what a f*cking prat. I cycle, and if blocked, I go around. I don't try to cause an accident by restricting someone field of vision.

How does a motorist see to his left behind? Left mirror. How can he see to the his left behind after some twat flips the mirror? He can't. What may happen when he pulls in to the left to fix his mirror? Something on two wheels has to gtfo between the car and whatever is to the left quickish.
    Please reread the original post - the mirror sprung back to its original position without any damage caused or vision restricted.

From the original post:
    folded his spring loaded wing mirror back to get by, and it sprung back, hunky dorey.

• Advertisement

DeepBlue wrote:
    Calm down before you do yourself an injury.
    The posts are there. Re-read them at your leisure. Like all posts they are open to interpretation.
    My interpretation is reasonable given the context of the thread and just because you don't agree with it doesn't make it absolute bollix or waffle.

I don't see any point in furthering the discussion with you as you only seem willing to engage in the topic emotionally rather than rationally

I´ve re-read them and still can´t see how my posts state that the "behaviour of the driver as reported by the OP is somehow acceptable". I´ve stated several times that I feel his behaviour was totally unacceptable.

You are of course entitled to your interpretation, what bothered me was the mis-representantion you made of my posts, or the general concensus of the thread, I asked you several times to quote ´to back up your statements´ you didnn´t/can´t yet you kept responding...... hense the tone of my later posts.

a bit like the Merc driver in the OP's post I suspect.
    :rolleyes:

Advertisement