Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joomla/Hosting

Options
  • 13-06-2007 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭

Hi, I hope someone can help point me in the right direction. I've a decent enough knowledge in XHTML and CSS but have no experience in hosting and servers. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm looking to design and build a site using Joomla and am unsure if there are any potential problems with finding someone to host it. Is it possible to get a plan with hosting365 or someone similar to host the site or is it necessary to use one's own server (which isn't an option)?

I don't want to go through the effort of designing and building my site using Joomla to later find out that it was a waste of time.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

www.sitegrounds.com are great for joomla hosting. Check them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Cheers, thought it might be a bit more difficult than that for security reasons. So it shouldn't be that difficult to transfer a site that works locally to their servers down the line?

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Joomla should work fine on most hosts that support PHP/MySQL ie. practically everyone. A lot of hosts also offer it via an automated installer, though if you're working in a local environment and want to move to remote you'll probably have to play around a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Joomla .. will work fine on most shared hosting sites .. it all just depends on how much of a load there are on those machines ... and how complex your joomla site is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

We host loads of joomla sites, and our tech support staff are very experienced in helping you get it up and running the way you want :)

• Advertisement

The site will be quite simple. I'm going travelling SE Asia and I just want to create a bit of an online resource for all the information and useful links I come accross while researching each county/city. All I need is to be able to organise entries by location, subject and maybe by usefulness and be able to access this info and add more while over in Asia.

When hosting on hosting365 do you access the admin side in the same way? I'd imagine it would have to be a little more secure that just going to domainname/administration?

It works as standard, you can secure it also at the server level.

What's the difference between standard level and securing at the server level? Sorry if the question's a bit dumb!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

I'd guess what he means is .. you have to log into joomla ... in order to gain access to the admin side of things ...

At the server level he no doubt means adding in a .htaccess / .htpasswd extra layer of security but I could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

S.M.B. wrote:
    The site will be quite simple. I'm going travelling SE Asia and I just want to create a bit of an online resource for all the information and useful links I come accross while researching each county/city. All I need is to be able to organise entries by location, subject and maybe by usefulness and be able to access this info and add more while over in Asia.

Wouldn't a blogging engine (wordpress/textpattern/textpad etc.) be much simpler to setup and run rather than going down the joomla line?

• Advertisement

colm_c wrote:
    Wouldn't a blogging engine (wordpress/textpattern/textpad etc.) be much simpler to setup and run rather than going down the joomla line?
    Guess it probably would be. Wouldn't mind trying to get my head around Joomla at the same thime though. I'll look into a more basic blogging engine and see if I'm better off going that route.

You can get a free blog (at your own domain) here - www.blogs365.org

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

There's also Backpack:
    http://www.backpackit.com/

Great for organising hols/info/pics etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭meep

I have a reseller account with a2hosting.com. I host all my Joomla sites there and have no problems. PM me if you want more info, an account set up etc.

Peter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

It does sound like Joomla would be overkill for your requirements.
    I would recommend WordPress as a bit simpler and more than capable of the task you require it for.

Advertisement