Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

head about to explode with stress over the dole/college/work

• 13-06-2007 11:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Ok my heads seriously wrecked.
    For the past two years I’ve been on the dole, I didn’t intend to be but I just cant find work anywhere.
    Unlike most people who’ve been on the dole that long I have actually been doing something. I did animation in college and was unfortunately sick for some part of the last year and failed, I was allowed this year to re submit the work I had missed and hopefully to get my qualification.
    However the college is only letting me resubmit directly to the governing body so im not in the college hence cant get a back to education or let the dole know im doing that as they would see it as me not looking for full time work.
    In the interim time I’ve been working as a free lance graphic artist (which the dole are aware of) and getting my portfolio ready for approaching studios and waiting for my results from college,
    Then the other day I received notification from the college that I had failed one of my assignments but as it was technically their fault (as they had told me I had no use of the college and was to do everything on my own at home) I’m allowed to resubmit again on august 31st.
    Now I’ve been pretty good at keeping the dole off my back as they knew what was going on with regards my infrequent but growing self employment in my last place (I moved house) but the ones in my new sign on place aren’t to happy and demanded that I get a job which I wouldn’t mind if I didn’t have nigh on 3-400 drawings to do within the next month or so.
    So I went and got what I thought was a part time job working 3 shifts a week at a market research place in Blackrock (I live I town) which was fine with the dole but now they wont sign my dockets for the dole as because its flexi time I can hypothetically work over 20 hours a week I’m technically fully employed and hence no longer entitled to payments, and to break even with paying rent/bills/food/transport id have to work pretty much 6/7 days a week in the new place which leaves me no time to A) finish my college work or B) do anything as it’s a 5-9 job which takes the guts of an hour either side so pretty much Monday to Friday ill have feck all free time and then its double shifts at the weekend.
    I cant quit the job as that would be grounds for the dole to cut me off and the job has stated that they wont fire me because im good at what I do there.
    And to top it off this has all coincided with me moving house this month and going on a short holiday I planned months ago.

Any help appreciated.
    Please no get a job dole scum replies.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

eh...sorry now, but several things about your post confused the hell out of me.

1)You've been on the dole 2 years...and yet in that space of time you were also in college? I'm fairly certain you don't get social welfare payments if you're enrolled in college, and the social welfare offices get a list of registered students from the college so what's your story?

2)You moved house in the middle of this whole debacle? And you moved to the city (town?), wouldn't that probably involve AN INCREASE in your rent (depending on where you're moving from obviously)?

3)You recently moved house again???

4) a 5-9 job? What? This leaves you with no free time? That only makes sense to me if you're talking 5AM to 9PM, is that what you're talking about?

5) If you can re-submit by the end of August that gives your almost 3 months to get everything done....3-400 drawings by the end of the month? (I realise technically it's closer to 2 1/2 months, but that's still a lot of time)

6)Surely there are OTHER jobs which you could take that wouldn't interfere with your social welfare payments?

7)Why can't you do what most students would do in your case and move home until you've finished your exams and gotten your qualification?

I'm not saying "get a job dole scum", but none of what you're saying really makes any sense to me. I understand the pressure of college, I've 8 years of it behind me, I also understand how much more difficult it can get when you're making the transition into the real world, whilst also juggling exams/projects, and the general (and horrible) stress of never having money for rent/life/anything else well into your 20's.

But too much of this story doesn't really make any sense to me.

I'd suggest moving home until you're done with college. Reduced rent, and at least you know if you're still short you won't be kicked out! There's no reason in the world (that I can think of) why you wouldn't be able to finish your project stuff at home, surely if you need to use college materials/facilities you'd be commuting to college regardless of where you're living? In any case moving home, and it's only until the end of august, would take huge pressure off you.

If moving is really not an option, (and IMO you'd want a fairly good reason for not moving home), the your major stress is how to make enough money to live, and still be ale to do your college work. I'm in the middle of changing jobs at the minute, I know there are loads of part time jobs out there. And I'm talking about Dublin. So why not try and get one of those jobs? If you're good at this market research job then presumably you're good at dealing with people? Erego you'd be well able for any number of basic retail/host position in any number of shops/cafes/restaurants/hotels? I'm just listing those positions because they're the first thing that springs to mind which might help your situation.

The shor and long of it is that your problems should be managable. If you're really stuck in the short term (i.e. the next month or so), maybe consider a small loan to tie you over? I'm not recommending anything massive,. maybe a grand to cover your rent for a month or two?> That'd surely take some pressure off? Presumably once you have your qualification you'll be hoping to start work? Sure you'd pay off a grand of a loan in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jebusmusic

4) a 5-9 job? What? This leaves you with no free time? That only makes sense to me if you're talking 5AM to 9PM, is that what you're talking about?

He means it's 5pm to 9pm, and with the hour either side for transport it's more like 4pm - 10pm, double shifts on weekends, usually 10am - 4pm.

I know, I used to work there a few years back.

Hi my name is, my name is, my names is, wicka wicka, Slim Shady......calling from TNS MRBI yada yadayada.

I feel you're pain. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

If you're claiming the dole and still in college then you're illegally claiming social welfare afaik. You should come off the dole, get a credit union loan and finish your studies and then get back into employment and preferably pay back the social welfare money you've claimed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Ted10

If you are on the dole for over 15 months and work for less than 24 hours per week you can qualify for the Part Time Job Scheme. Think it pays around €110 per week. Ask the dole office about it and they'll set you up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

ok, what exactly do you have to be stressed about? I find it hard to see. Money for nothing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

ok got it sorted today. alls good and anyone who thinks being on the dole isnt stresfull has never been on the dole.
    the college thing is mad confusing basically im contracted to the college for my tenure as a student but after i leave im contracted to betec which means im not a student, not in college just doing part of a corse on my own outside.
    it wasn't interfeering with my seeking work so it wasn't an interfearance with teh dole.
    anyways as i said problem sorted.
    cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Glad to hear your news OP. I understand what being on the dole is like, while trying to scrape money together, and work part-time, all the time trying to be honest with the dole. Its not easy.

Good luck with everything.

Advertisement