Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best in the World 2007?

• 13-06-2007 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭

So we are nearly 6 months into the year, who do you think has had the best year so far?

There's not that many contenders as far as I can see.

Briscoes in ROH have been immense. Match of the night practically every time out and probably the best team in the world right now. They're hard hitting, can fly with the best of them, awesome in singles and have really mastered the art of the the tag team sprint against a wide variety of opponents.

Nigel Mc Guinness has been tremendous. In 2007 he's transformed from a guy who was all about pretty but unnecessary matwork into this stiff lariating monster who's SUPER over on both sides of the Atlantic. As well as winning the King of Europe Cup, he was beyond awesome on both nights of the ROH Liverpool tour.

Ricky Marvin is probably the world's best junior right now. He's been so crisp and clean in everything Ive seen him do, the tag against the Briscoes is just a magnificent showing.

And most controversial of all.....John Cena. He has been wonderful this year. Awesome feud with HBK, amazing matches with Umaga and hell he even got some good stuff out of Khali! Two of the great wrestling moments of the year so far have been his choking out the unstoppable monster Umaga with the ringrope, covered in blood and sreaming with hatred as he does so and the incredible sight of him delivering the FU to the 7 foot Khali.

In fact, **** it Cena gets my vote, he's been ****ing amazing this year.

So what do you think, have I left anyone out?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

I think HBK has had a great year, but again I think Cena would get my vote too. He has had some great matches and I thought his match with Kahli at One Night Stand was fairly good (I will concede that I a great amount of alcohol was consumed over the night, lol). It probably is the year of Cena.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

SHAWN MICHAELS

Is there any doubt?

New Year's Revolution - Triple H injures his quad, Edge struggles to handle the situation, Orton totally loses the plot and sh*ts himself, suddenly Shawn Michaels decides to single-handedly save the match by diving out on Orton, punching out the ref and getting chairs to beat the hell out of his opponents. He then puts Orton through a table. He saved the situation.

Raw street fight from January - A great street fight match with Edge which stole the show.

Royal Rumble - Brilliant performance between HBK and Taker which had fans gripped.

All of the above was in the one month probably too.

Wrestlemania 23 - Great match with John Cena, arguably Cena's career performance at that point. Brilliant drama with the finishers at the end.

Raw from London - The rematch was even better than the original and they went close to an hour. This in my view was the career performance of Cena. Michaels proved why he's the best in the world. Match of the year thus far I reckon.

Backlash 2007 - Another fine performance by Michaels and the other guys. One of the best fatal four way matches you're likely to see.

In my view there's no contest. Michaels has been head and shoulders above everyone else. With him now out injured though the only question is whether someone will eclipse him by the year's end. Cena and Edge have the best chance to do so I think but my money is still on Michaels.

In my view the top 3 contenders are as follows:

1. Shawn Michaels
    2. John Cena
    3. Edge

So far anyway it's Michaels by a mile, in my view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

From what I've watched so far this year, I can only really pick someone from WWE or TNA. Nigel McGuinness probably has the highest average mark though, from the two occasions I saw him, but I can't judge 6 months on that. I've only seen the two Ricky Marvin matches too

I'm stuck between Shawn Michaels and Randy Orton. While Cena definitely deserves a lot of credit, I can't put him ahead of HBK yet. I wasn't a big fan of the Umaga matches, whereas Shawn had a deadly Rumble match. He also had the more entertaining singles match with Khali I thought. Looking at the WM main event, I'd give the nod to Shawn in terms of the most impressive. Not to take anything away from Cena, I'm not putting him down just for the sake of it, I just think Shawn's been better

Orton I have to mention because he's just impressed me so much this year. He's the best at selling in WWE and he's developed a real presence about him. It seems a bit strange calling him the best in the world at the moment, but this is judging on this year alone, and no one has impressed me more. He was a part of the best WWE match I've seen this year, vs Edge. He's so cocky in his promos too, it doesn't really matter what exactly he says, it's just the way he delivers them, it's great

The Undertaker deserves a mention for what he managed to achieve this year too, and Benoit I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

There has been no one mentioned that I would disagree with so far, but I do think that HBK has really turned it up a notch since NYR. Overnight he lost his goofy persona, and went back to the serious HBK that always delivers. He has had great match after great match (though I maintain the WM main event was a stinker). Its a pity his injury flared up when it did, as he will probably return playing second fiddle you HHH.

Undertaker has been absolutely outstanding this year. Anyone who can get a decent match out of Botchtista is doing well, but anyone who can get a run of them is doing a hell of a job. Again, its a shame his injury came when it did, but hopefully it will lead to a WM fued with Edge next year. Now that would = ratings.

The Briscoes do not know how to be in a poor match, and I have enjoyed everything I have seen from each of them so far this year. Same goes for Nigel McGuinness.

Only from Youtube and ROH DVDs can I say from here, but Takeshi Morishima is impressing the hell out of me also. He plays the monster role fantastic, is very agile and is well able to put together a great match.

Honourable mentions go to Delirious, Matt Hardy, Kennedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Fozzy wrote:
    Orton I have to mention because he's just impressed me so much this year. He's the best at selling in WWE and he's developed a real presence about him. It seems a bit strange calling him the best in the world at the moment, but this is judging on this year alone, and no one has impressed me more. He was a part of the best WWE match I've seen this year, vs Edge. He's so cocky in his promos too, it doesn't really matter what exactly he says, it's just the way he delivers them, it's great

Are you serious?! Orton is very high on my list of most useless ppl in wrestling. His promos are not cocky, he is! His promos send me to sleep to be honest, its the same thing over and over again... Which was fine when he was first in evolution but by now I`ve realised that he only has one speed and it is the "look at me I`m annoying cocky for no reason Randy Orton". Does anyone really believe he could fufill any other role? I mean surely to be a great performer you have to be a little versatile!

And his matches are ok I guess... but they hardly ever excite me too much. The only presence that he has developed in my eyes is an annoying one!

As for best in world so far this year, definitely HBK or Undertaker for me. Probably HBK.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

I hate saying this, in fact it kills me to say it, why????, the superstar that is about to get my number one is John Cena. I agree with everything the OP said above about him, in fact i have been thinking this way for a good few weeks now.

BUT, i hate the way wwe are shoving him into our faces.
    He still bugs me.
    I do not find him funny cause it looks rehearsed.
    I really want to see someone else with the title.

BUT, you got to give credit where credit is due.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

Well I don't think there is anyone new to be added to this list but I'd like to reiterate what people have said about Cena, Michaels and the Undertaker. All their work this year has been a major step up from the very lacklustre 2006.
    Orton is definitely stepping it up big time too. I think his match with Edge on Raw about 6 weeks ago has to be a contender for MOTY in WWE so far.

As far as ROH is concerned, the Briscoes and Nigel are continuing their excellent form from the latter part of last year. I'll be the first to agree with Gimmick on Morishima. I didn't expect to see someone bigger and more agile than Joe, but this guy is. I've read a few reports on his recent defences and word is he is getting better and better.
    Now, even though I don't particularly like either of them, I have to praise the No Remorse Corps of Davey Richards and Roderick Strong, both of whom were meandering last year, but now they have something to run with and running with it they are.

And I'm feeling charitable so I'll mention some TNA talent. Well, just one guy. Christian Cage. That is all.

woooo232 wrote:
    Are you serious?!

Yeah! I was kinda indifferent to him myself at one stage, I didn't think he'd really found a role that suited him, but now he entertains me every week. The only week I can think of when I didn't enjoy one of his matches was on Raw against Shawn Michaels, ironically enough. I do think Edge has more talent than him, but for some reason I don't think Edge has been at his best this year yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

woooo232 wrote:
    Are you serious?! Orton is very high on my list of most useless ppl in wrestling. His promos are not cocky, he is! His promos send me to sleep to be honest, its the same thing over and over again... Which was fine when he was first in evolution but by now I`ve realised that he only has one speed and it is the "look at me I`m annoying cocky for no reason Randy Orton". Does anyone really believe he could fufill any other role? I mean surely to be a great performer you have to be a little versatile!

I would have thought that he is a cocky **** as well but from what I've heard and seen,he actually is a very decent bloke in reality.I think that he is like triple H-made to be a heel.
    I am really a huge fan of the guys wrestling and have been since his evolution days.However I do think that it has only really been in the last 6 months that he has really shone to show that he does deserve to be elevated to the next level.Its a shame that he lets his back stage antics get into the way of his career

Fozzy wrote:
    Yeah! I was kinda indifferent to him myself at one stage, I didn't think he'd really found a role that suited him, but now he entertains me every week. The only week I can think of when I didn't enjoy one of his matches was on Raw against Shawn Michaels, ironically enough. I do think Edge has more talent than him, but for some reason I don't think Edge has been at his best this year yet

That could be down to edge having a few "little" injuries this year that have stopped edge from competing for weeks sometimes and other times only being able to compete to a limited extent.
    I recall seeing edge a number of times this year doing the bare minimum to get through matches.Im really hoping to see him have a strong last 6 months this year and hopefully a few matches that contend for "match of the year".

• Advertisement

fatal wrote:
    That could be down to edge having a few "little" injuries this year that have stopped edge from competing for weeks sometimes and other times only being able to compete to a limited extent.
    I recall seeing edge a number of times this year doing the bare minimum to get through matches.Im really hoping to see him have a strong last 6 months this year and hopefully a few matches that contend for "match of the year".

Yeah, before WM he went about a month without a proper match. That was probably when he was most entertaining on the mic this year though. I can see him having some great matches once he's finished with Batista and can move onto other guys. I'm really hoping for a great feud with Mysterio, but they shouldn't have it as Rey's first feud back, he'll probably be a little rusty. He should be back very soon now I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Fozzy wrote:
    Randy "The Man of One Thousand Rest Holds" Orton might have had a few entertaining matches, but can you seriously say he was the best of 2007? The second half of this year is his time to shine, but he just hasn't done enough so far to warrent being called the best in the world.

My vote, for what its worth, goes to Michaels, with Christian running a distant second.

b.ie polar wrote:
    Randy "The Man of One Thousand Rest Holds" Orton might have had a few entertaining matches, but can you seriously say he was the best of 2007?

No, I wouldn't put him ahead of Shawn Michaels, but I'd put him ahead of a lot of others, the ones that I've seen anyway. I don't have a problem with his "rest-holds" either, because he works the holds! He's always got the facial expressions and movements that make it look like he's actually trying to strangle his opponent, rather than some guys who just sit there waiting to get their breathe back. And the Garvin Stomp he does, I love that

I think he's definitely been one of the best of 2007, I just had a feeling not many people here would mention him, so I wanted to single him out a bit. I'd have expected him to get worse after being suspended last year and wrecking that hotel this year, but he's gotten better

Fozzy wrote:
    Yeah, before WM he went about a month without a proper match. That was probably when he was most entertaining on the mic this year though. I can see him having some great matches once he's finished with Batista and can move onto other guys. I'm really hoping for a great feud with Mysterio, but they shouldn't have it as Rey's first feud back, he'll probably be a little rusty. He should be back very soon now I think

One funny thing about him not being able to wrestle in the month leading up to wrestlemania was that it was because of a jaw injury.However anyone could have sworn that there was nothing wrong with his jaw with the amount of yapping coming out of him.I really enjoyed those promos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

1. HBK
    2. Marcus Cor Von
    3. Kennedy

If JBL counts though it's him all the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

Any reason as to why you would pick Cor Von? He's hardly set the world on fire in ECW.

Advertisement